Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My daughter didn’t get into camp
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:16 am
It is my first daughter. She is going into 9th grade. We live OOT. wwyd?

syrima

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:22 am
If it's sleepaway camp, then there should be other options to look into...are you willing to put her on a plane?

karat

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:28 am
If you post the names of the camps you applied to, maybe someone can suggest other camps.

Last edited by karat on Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:41 am
Some camps fill up in the first few minutes after registration opens. Many kids are then turned away. I would like to know what these families do since they seem to be the majority.

animeme

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:43 am
Was she planning to go with friends? Did they all get in? Do you know what any of her other friends are doing? Is there a difference in what months she goes, or are both months full?

karat

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:47 am
southernbubby wrote:
Some camps fill up in the first few minutes after registration opens. Many kids are then turned away. I would like to know what these families do since they seem to be the majority.

If a girl is willing to apply as a mother’s helper she will have a chance at getting accepted to a camp that has filled its slots,
OP’s daughter may be too young.
OP, If she would consider such a job, and you can’t get accepted anywhere, you can inquire.
You can also request to be placed on a waiting list.
Good luck

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
It is my first daughter. She is going into 9th grade. We live OOT. wwyd?

Were they full and did they offer the other half of the summer as an alternative?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:33 am
She applied with a friend. They both were put on a waiting list. She only wanted to go to this camp. It’s a sleep away camp. It’s a yeshivish camp and they accept first the siblings and alumni girls. Idk why they got denied. They were completely full

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:08 am
As the community grows, more camps and schools are needed but the money and leadership needs to be there too.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:13 am
That is the most popular age for girls to go to camp, and the popular camps do fill up quickly.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:17 am
Try camp lehava. It's a new camp run by a great director with prior experience. They said they'll be accepting now at the end of January, so maybe they have some openings. I know a bunch of great families that applied.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:19 am
If a girl is willing to apply as a mother’s helper she will have a chance at getting accepted to a camp that has filled its slots,

What does this mean? There's no mom at camp to help?

karat

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:43 am
Ruchel wrote:

What does this mean? There's no mom at camp to help?

It’s a babysitting job for a staff member’s child.
It’s only done for a few hours a day, they can be a camper for the remaining hours of the day.
The camps also offer a steep discount for these girls.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
She applied with a friend. They both were put on a waiting list. She only wanted to go to this camp. It’s a sleep away camp. It’s a yeshivish camp and they accept first the siblings and alumni girls. Idk why they got denied. They were completely full

Of course you know why she got “denied”. You just said the reason. After accepting siblings and returning campers, they were full.

This happened to us once also. I called a camp the day registration opened and was told that first half is closed out before the last day of camp, literally, because they open registration during the camp session to returning campers and then to siblings. So we chose another camp. Its camp. It happens.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 5:44 am
Interesting! I never met a girl working while at camp. They generally didn't take people with young kids (too young to be in camp)

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:36 am
Ruchel wrote:
Interesting! I never met a girl working while at camp. They generally didn't take people with young kids (too young to be in camp)

In the States, many camps have married women doing different jobs; often, they have children who come to camp.

My stepdaughter did this one summer. She wanted to go to the posh camp that her friends were going to. It was $$$$ and somehow sold out quickly. Paying for this camp wasnt an option for us anyways. The mother’s helpers were supposed to work for 4 hours a day and then be with their bunk the rest of the day - they were assigned a bunk like any other camper. This was the summer she was going into 9th grade iirc. She was told that the campers love the mothers helpers and dont treat them any differently, often bring the kids they watch to their bunk’s activities, and get a big tip from the mother they were assigned to at the end. Well, this isnt how it worked for my step daughter at all. She had to work many more hours than she was told she would have to work. Her bunkmates had no interest in her when she was with them, and she got a $25 tip at the end of the 8 weeks. Her mother called up the director to ask if this tip was normal and the director said that while my step daughter was excellent, this particular mother felt no need to tip so she was lucky to get $25 and “free camp”. It was a horrible summer for her.

imasinger

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:47 am
I have a DD who many years ago had a similar experience to watergirl's DD.

I'd recommend encouraging her to consider other camps. There are many great ones, and even though it's late, some still have openings.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 8:17 am
Hi anyone know anything about the new camp lahav what kind of crowd what's schools are the girls coming from etc...

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 10:34 am
I think if you take a mother's helper job, you have to make inquiries about what the job will entail (best would be to hear from a past mother's helper for that particular person.) Married staff in a camp will have different responsibilities, needs, and expectations. If you are going to be the mother's helper for the camp director, you may be needed to watch her kids at all hours; while if you are watching the shiur counselor's baby, it might just involve a few hours when said Mom is giving Shiur. Some married staff consider themselves on vacation and expect the mother's helper to be an always-available babysitter, while others only need her when they are doing their job. I've heard of lots of variations.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 10:36 am
Chayalle wrote:
I think if you take a mother's helper job, you have to make inquiries about what the job will entail (best would be to hear from a past mother's helper for that particular person.) Married staff in a camp will have different responsibilities, needs, and expectations. If you are going to be the mother's helper for the camp director, you may be needed to watch her kids at all hours; while if you are watching the shiur counselor's baby, it might just involve a few hours when said Mom is giving Shiur. Some married staff consider themselves on vacation and expect the mother's helper to be an always-available babysitter, while others only need her when they are doing their job. I've heard of lots of variations.

The problem is, I don't think most camps would give a whole lot of information in advance.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics