Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Accounting question

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:44 am
My former housekeeper works on the books. She is not legal but has a social security number. She wants to file a tax return and pay income tax. Is this possible? Anything else she should know? Thank you.

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
My former housekeeper works on the books. She is not legal but has a social security number. She wants to file a tax return and pay income tax. Is this possible? Anything else she should know? Thank you.

Is that social security number her number? How did she get a social security number without being legal? If she is authorized to work in the US, then she is legal.

Consult an attorney.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:47 am
amother wrote:

She's "on the books" so you've been sending the IRS payroll withholding for her?, and will issue her a W-2?

Of course she can file a tax return.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:57 am
Sounds like she has a work visa. Yes she should (must) file taxes

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:13 am
Op here. I just asked her to clarify some things. She does not have a work visa. In the past, her employer gave her a W-2 and she filed a tax return. In 2018 she was paid completely off the books. The reason she wants to file taxes is because she says that in order to get her insurance, she needs a tax return. Can she file?

aliavi

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
Op here. I just asked her to clarify some things. She does not have a work visa. In the past, her employer gave her a W-2 and she filed a tax return. In 2018 she was paid completely off the books. The reason she wants to file taxes is because she says that in order to get her insurance, she needs a tax return. Can she file?

Even if her employer pays her in cash, she still received and is still required to claim income.The thought that if someone doesn't give certain documentation means you didn't receive is dishonest. Your responsibility is to provide her the applicable tax documentation such as a W-2 for your payments in the year you paid. Don't give her tax advice or get involved.

If you were her employer in 2018, you are likely responsible for any applicable payroll taxes such as unemployment. Speak with your attorney. I would suggest making your payments ASAP.

ETA: There is a TIN (taxpayer identification number) that allows those to pay the required taxes on their income as non-citizens. It resembles a SSN.

Amothers, never hire illegals--it's illegal for you to do so!!!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:31 am
amother wrote:

For all these years shes been filing a tax return with this tax ID number - nothing bad has happened to her. Mah nishtana?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:54 pm
If she is employed, she needs the employer to give her a w2

If she is self employed, she should report on sch c

If she thinks she is an employee, and the employer thinks she is self employed, she should report as if she received salary AND form 8919 AND file SS-8 & let the irs decide based on the facts
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics