Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If Ur American, how strongly do events in Israel affect u?
1  2  Next

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:08 pm
So, say u hear about a terror attack in which a Jew in Israel is hurt, G-d forbid. Or u hear of Israelis in the North having to run to their shelters when there’s a siren alert. What’s your first reaction? “Oh, that’s sad”...or, “Well they really shouldn’t be living in a dangerous area,” (yes, I’ve heard plenty of people say that)...or does your heart really hurt, even to the point of bringing u to tears sometimes?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:19 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:23 pm
I don't follow the news. My heart is too broken from my own pains here in the "safety" of America.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:25 pm
Cheiny wrote:
So, say u hear about a terror attack in which a Jew in Israel is hurt, G-d forbid. Or u hear of Israelis in the North having to run to their shelters when there’s a siren alert. What’s your first reaction? “Oh, that’s sad”...or, “Well they really shouldn’t be living in a dangerous area,” (yes, I’ve heard plenty of people say that)...or does your heart really hurt, even to the point of bringing u to tears sometimes?

My heart breaks for any Jewish tragedy. It makes no difference to me which country they reside in.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:31 pm
Unfortunately I have become desensitized by now. But sometimes I'm brought to tears. Recently when they young soon to be mother was stabbed and her DH injured and then her baby passed away...that made me cry. I looked at pictures and just had tears streaming down my face.
But I don't read the Israeli news on a daily basis. I get very turned off by the news in general and feel better when I don't read about all the terror, anti Semitism and crazy world we are currently surviving in.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:45 pm
I'm 100 percent affected when I hear the names and any details about the victims of an attack or accident. I tick off every single box that defines a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), and I actually have to be careful about what I expose myself to.

However, I'm the same way about others, particularly Americans. I was terribly affected last week by the death of an Army Ranger in Afghanistan, and I still find myself davening for his pregnant widow and family. I guess that's a good thing -- Hashem obviously wanted me to be affected enough to daven -- but it can be emotionally draining.

I don't follow the news in Israel all that closely, though. For one thing, my Hebrew isn't good enough to fully understand all the nuances. For another thing, I feel like following Israeli politics (where debate hasn't been fully engaged until everyone has called everyone else a Nazi) would seriously decrease my ahavas Yisroel.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 1:55 am
Cheiny wrote:
Not even everyone in Israel is affected so strongly from every attack that occurs.
(also, its the south where they are always having to run into their shelters, not the north)

Rappel

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:02 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not even everyone in Israel is affected so strongly from every attack that occurs.
(also, its the south where they are always having to run into their shelters, not the north)

From your mouth to G-d's ears...

With Hezbollah as strong as they are right now, missiles from the north are very feasible in the near future.

Rappel

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:06 am
smileforamile wrote:
When I hear that Jews in those areas are hurt, then I feel terrible. It's when I hear that Jews were at Sha'ar Shechem and then get killed R'L, that I have less compassion. I still feel bad at the loss of Jewish life, but I think that this is a case of putting oneself in unnecessary sakana. I remember hearing these stories during the summer war a few years ago. What on earth was a Jewish person doing at Sha'ar Shechem at that time?

Believe it or not, Shaar Shechem is not as scary as it sounds. Even though the path from there runs through the Arab shuk, it serves as the pedestrian highway from Maalot Dafna/Givat Hamivtar to the Kotel. I'd say that at any given time of day, there is a minimum ratio of 1:4 Jews to Arabs on that route, often higher - not to mention tourists, and Old City police.

The first time you go through there, "OMG it's soooooo scary, like, Hashem yeracheim, there are police everywhere!" The second time, it's a little less thrilling. The third time, you enjoy the jaw-dropping architecture along the way. The fourth time and on, it's like walking down any other street in Jerusalem. Yalla.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:17 am
Rappel wrote:
From your mouth to G-d's ears...

With Hezbollah as strong as they are right now, missiles from the north are very feasible in the near future.
Of course its possible in the north, but the op wrote "Or u hear of Israelis in the North having to run to their shelters when there’s a siren alert." Im sure she meant the south in that instance.

etky

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:33 am
Fox wrote:
I'm 100 percent affected when I hear the names and any details about the victims of an attack or accident. I tick off every single box that defines a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), and I actually have to be careful about what I expose myself to.

However, I'm the same way about others, particularly Americans. I was terribly affected last week by the death of an Army Ranger in Afghanistan, and I still find myself davening for his pregnant widow and family. I guess that's a good thing -- Hashem obviously wanted me to be affected enough to daven -- but it can be emotionally draining.

I don't follow the news in Israel all that closely, though. For one thing, my Hebrew isn't good enough to fully understand all the nuances. For another thing, I feel like following Israeli politics (where debate hasn't been fully engaged until everyone has called everyone else a Nazi) would seriously decrease my ahavas Yisroel.

Well, now's not a good time to tune into that anyway - we're at the start of an election campaign and I don't think it's going to be pretty Twisted Evil

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:49 am
All the Jews are one big family. It hurts me to the core when I hear about any Jews that are suffering. No place is safe for us anymore. Not in Pittsburgh. Not in Brooklyn.
My heart is in Israel.

grace413

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
All the Jews are one big family. It hurts me to the core when I hear about any Jews that are suffering. No place is safe for us anymore. Not in Pittsburgh. Not in Brooklyn.
My heart is in Israel.

Bring the rest of your body! You'll feel more integrated. Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
My heart is in Israel.

This, this, 1000 times this. I find the subject line disturbing - how are we not affected? How are our hearts not in Israel?
And of course, we should only feel empathy and sympathy for Jews everywhere.
And if our hearts also go out to others as per Fox's comment, other people who most certainly deserve our respect, as well as basic human dignity, that is also a sign of good spiritual health.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 11:04 am
grace413 wrote:
Bring the rest of your body! You'll feel more integrated. Very Happy

Grace413, I wan't to so badly that my neshoma aches. Now is not the right time.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 11:53 am
It affects me very much. I try not to think about it when anything happens, but my heart aches.

iyar

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 1:06 pm
Very strongly.

DallasIma

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:22 pm
It affects me strongly, not only because Israel is our holy soil and all Jews are family and so on and so on, but because 3 of my children live there and a 4th is making aliyah very soon. So it's up close and personal for me.

Rappel

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 11:59 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Of course its possible in the north, but the op wrote "Or u hear of Israelis in the North having to run to their shelters when there’s a siren alert." Im sure she meant the south in that instance.

Fair enough Smile

PSA: for everyone who is/will be making Aliyah, if you need anything once you land, then I want to help! Whether you need advice, help writing/speaking Hebrew, directions on navigating local beaurocracy, or even just a friendly face, please pm me!

grace413

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 12:33 pm
Rappel wrote:
Fair enough Smile

PSA: for everyone who is/will be making Aliyah, if you need anything once you land, then I want to help! Whether you need advice, help writing/speaking Hebrew, directions on navigating local beaurocracy, or even just a friendly face, please pm me!

Rappel, so very generous of you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics