Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Does this sound dishonest?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:46 am
I have a child with a medical issue that makes him dependent on a very expensive pharmaceutical product in order to live. This is a single-use product and he uses several a day, though it varies by the day. We can use anywhere between 5 and 8 boxes of it a month with each box costing hundreds of shekels.

Due to my son's diagnosis, the kupat cholim authorized us to pay only X amount per month (approximately enough for 4 boxes) and after that everything is free of charge, whether it's one box or 20. So every month we've been paying X amount and then getting the rest for free. Even that amount is a lot for us though.

I was thinking that we could save money if one month we buy enough for the next month as well. This way, let's say I pay for 4 and instead of taking an additional 2 boxes for free, I can take an additional 8 and be covered for the following month as well (assuming here that I need 6 a month). Then the next month I would have to pay anything at all.

Does this sound dishonest?

dovebird

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:48 am
Yes that is dishonest. Why don’t you speak to them and tell them the dilemma you are having? Maybe if they knew you are having a hard time paying for it they’ll give you a lower price on the first four you buy. Good luck!

Last edited by dovebird on Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:49 am
I'm sorry you are dealing with this.
I have to say that your plan doesn't pass the smell test. Also, if you don't buy any boxes one month, will the kupa decide you don't need the product?
I think the better route is to have your doctor appeal to the kupa on your behalf and explain that you need 8 boxes a month.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 2:20 am
You are forgetting that the money doesn't come from the kupah. It comes from G-d. Don't cheat like this it will never help you in the long run.

Refuah Sheleima to your son!

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 2:56 am
Don't do it. The kuppa will see that you didn't buy any one month, and decide that you probably don't need the product at all.
The kuppa will figure this out in 10 seconds flat.

essie14

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:55 am
amother wrote:
Don't do it. The kuppa will see that you didn't buy any one month, and decide that you probably don't need the product at all.
The kuppa will figure this out in 10 seconds flat.

I agree.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 4:20 am
Okay, thanks everyone. Not going to do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions