Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Approximate cost of quartz?

faigyl

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 7:12 pm
I really want to get new countertops and paints my cabinets and put in new flooring. Before I even go down to a kitchen place I would love to know a ballpark figure for this. I have a big kitchen in Lakewood NJ. If you’ve just done any of this and can tell me how much it cost you- I would really appreciate it!!

stepmama

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:57 pm
Bump

srbmom

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 8:04 pm
My mother just did this (not in Tristate area)
Cost about $2500 for counters and $2500 to reface the cabinets (they said it was same price to put new doors as to sand and repaint).
For the counters she picked a slab of quartz that was on clearance for $600 - needed 2 slabs. But there were many more options in the $1000 per slab price range. The rest was for installation

stepmama

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:29 am
Wow thanks so much for that. Im looking into painting my cabinets an I see its really expensive! Has anyone done it them self and came out nicely?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:52 am
You can paint cabinets but it is a LOT of work to do well because you need to prepare the surface which means sanding and priming and sanding again. Otherwise it looks like garbage and doesn't wear well at all. You also need to keep careful track of the doors and the hardware or else they will never hang right again. If you are willing to invest the time and the labor to do it properly, you can google for instructions.

OP - Before you invest money in essentially remodeling your kitchen, how are your cabinets - are they in a layout you want - are the boxes in good shape? Don't forget that in general when you replace the counters, you would also be replacing the sinks and the faucets

stepmama

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:31 pm
I didn't know I need to sand after priming again. I want to save money so I think I'll be doing it myself. If anyone has anything to add pls do.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:50 pm
If you want advice from people who have painted their cabinets, post a question on houzz.com.

brat_islava

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:22 pm
@Amarante just curious why do you have to replace the sink(s) and faucet(s) when replacing countertops ?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:41 pm
You don't have to do anything but if unless you have a super wonderful sinks and faucets, it's a good time to upgrade. Many people upgrading don't have undercount sinks - for example. Or they want to change the size or configuration of the sink or get a sink that is more attractive.

For example, my new sink is a ledge style sink which is incredibly functional as it enables me to put a grid or a cutting board over the sink and thus extends my counters. My grid functions as a drainboard and so I can put any stuff I hand wash on the grid instead of on the counter. I can keep it on the sink as an extension of my counter or put in on the floor of the sink. Similarly I have a cutting board and so prep is really easy as I don't have to do it on the counter but over the sink. I even have a cutting board with a hole that a large stainless bowl fits in so that if I chop veggies, they sweep directly into the bowl.

This is especially true of faucets - do you really want to replace your old worn faucet and put it next to your beautiful new counters. There are also faucets that increase functionality.

And while not absolutely necessary, it's also a good time to swap out the garbage disposal since the plumber is there anyway :-).

While not necessary, very often when you upgrade one aspect of a room, you tend to upgrade the stuff around it because it looks shabby in comparison. This is especially true of stuff like sinks or faucets because you will be stuck with the sink for a long time after you upgrade the counters.

Faucets can be changed more easily but you will then be limited to holes you drill in the counter. For example, I opted for a single hole Kohler Artifact faucet. It has a reasonably high arc so large pots/pans fit under it. The pull down hose works well. It has one handle that controls everything. It has sleek lines so it's easy to clean. I then added an air switch for my garbage disposal - so much easier than having the switch on the wall. I also have a hole for the soap dispenser (tip - replace the small bottle it comes with for the Never MT soap dispenser which then goes into a large soap bottle of dishwasher detergent which lasts for a long time and is easy to swap out when empty).

Things just seem to spiral once you start going :-).

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:54 pm
Here is an excellent step by step on how to paint cabinets so they look good - it explains why having kitchen cabinets done professionally is not inexpensive if done correctly. You can't just slap the paint on.

https://www.evolutionofstylebl.....-like
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics