Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does the average family of 4 spend on food monthly?
1  2  3  Next

thatsme

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:01 pm
I'm trying to figure out the average amount spent on food in a family of 4. Including groceries, fish, meat, takeout, restaurants.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:46 pm
2 adults and 2 kids. We spend $1800-$2k I think its a lot but thats just what it is

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:52 pm
2 adult, 2 kids . Usually have company shabbos twice a month and if not eat very simple on shabbos. 1000-1200 a month on food

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
2 adult, 2 kids . Usually have company shabbos twice a month and if not eat very simple on shabbos. 1000-1200 a month on food

We also spend 1200 on food for same family size. This doesn't include papergoods and detergents.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:57 pm
We spend about $1500 on groceries. Included paper goods, garbage bags, cleaning detergent... not just food.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:04 pm
We spend $2000 easily.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:05 pm
We’re 6 people. I think we spend about $1600 a month. That includes paper goods, detergent, etc

I could cut back... I should, but it’s hard to.
DH drinks a lot of orange juice.. that’s expensive
Kids are used to a variety of snack bags for school... no need for all that really
One child lives on chocolate leben. Each one costs around $1... I would probably save $50 a month if I wouldn’t buy!

No need for me to treat the kids to pizza every week.

We spend a lot ( sometimes even more than the $1600 I wrote). I’m aware that there are ways to save but I’m not strong enough right now to cut back.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:41 pm
Family of 6. My grocery order which includes, fish, meat, groceries, some paper stuff, produce, some take out ready stuff is about $1200 monthly.
Besides we make a huge paper supply/detergents order by bjs once a month.
Also don't count if I buy lunch sometimes or if hub buys lunch sometimes while he's on the go.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
We spend $2000 easily.

I didn't count disposables or cleaning products. The question was how much do you spend on food. I rarely eat out while the kids and DH eat out often. They probably eat one meal out a day except for Fridays and Shabbos.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:17 pm
Wow. Where do you all live/shop?? Family of 9 ka"h and we budget $250/week for groceries!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:22 pm
Gerbera wrote:
Wow. Where do you all live/shop?? Family of 9 ka"h and we budget $250/week for groceries!

Do you get any programs to supplement?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:26 pm
Gerbera how is that possible? You must rely on chain stores with kosher products.

I don't use such products only buy in local stores with certain supervisions, also buy lot of checked veggies or greenhouse grown which is expensive. Also only use cholov yisroel. Also only use certain shechita which is expensive.

I am in Brooklyn.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:30 pm
I but for a family of 7 living at home now.
Usually have company for shabbos
Between grocery and Costco I spend about $600 a week. Totally crazy.
I live in the five towns.
No cheAp/kollel groceries here.
Kol save just opened. They started keeping prices low, but I think got higher.
This past Thursday I spent over $400 there!

chestnut

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:31 pm
Gerbera wrote:

Where do you live/shop?

honeymoon

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:32 pm
Gerbera I'm curious how you make that work. We are two adults and three kids and my weekly grocery orders are a minimum of 250$ plus daily visits to the grocery for forgotten items which easily add up to another 150$. This is just groceries and doesn't include fish and meat.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:33 pm
We are a family of 5 and definitely don't spend more than $250 a week on food, not including other household supplies. We eat well but frugally, by necessity. BH we can buy well priced produce and we eat lots of that as part of a balanced diet.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:44 pm
Gerbera wrote:

I shop my produce in secular stores and Costco.
If I want checked, then I go to the kosher supermarkets. Dairy is from kosher supermarkets. Fish is from fish store. Meat is from kosher supermarkets. I don't eat anything prepared. Ready made is often cheaper.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:47 pm
Gerbera wrote:

How do you feed a person on $27.75 a week?

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:10 pm
We spend around 600 per month on food, plus my 2 kids have wic. We're 2 adults and 2 little kids. My husband skips too many of his meals, but I sorta make up for his lack of appetite;) My nursing toddler eats, but not that much.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:10 pm
Gerbera wrote:

Does everyone realize she wrote week, not month?
She’s spending $1,000 a month...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics