Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does the average family of 4 spend on food monthly?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
How do you feed a person on $27.75 a week?

She wrote that she’s spending $250 a week-
Which is $1,000 a month

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
She wrote that she’s spending $250 a week-
Which is $1,000 a month

Ok.
27.75× 9 is still 250$ a week!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Ok.
27.75× 9 is still 250$ a week!

She probably has a nursing baby who doesn’t eat food yet. Maybe a few toddlers who eat very little and also get wic. So then it’s 6 people to really feed... and if she buys carefully in large supermarkets and doesn’t need cholov Yisrael or top hechsherim then it’s doable.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
She probably has a nursing baby who doesn’t eat food yet. Maybe a few toddlers who eat very little and also get wic. So then it’s 6 people to really feed... and if she buys carefully in large supermarkets and doesn’t need cholov Yisrael or top hechsherim then it’s doable.

Wow. I'm assuming that is excluding fish and meat.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
Does everyone realize she wrote week, not month?
She’s spending $1,000 a month...

That's 27.77 a week and 111.11 a month, per person.
250 ÷ 9 people

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:42 am
Can you share your tricks? Gerbara!

aliavi

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:56 am
We are about $200 per person per month. Managing the grocery and household spending makes me far less stressed overall.

baby12x

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:11 am
You're asking the wrong question: how much can you afford to spend on food?
Then make that budget work the best you can.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:41 am
Family of 5, no nursing babies, chalav yisrael,pas yisrael, specific shechitas etc... Up to 800$ a month.

simba

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:09 am
Food for 5 (infant counted out) including takeout and the random pizza dinner runs me about $2000 a month. 1 shopping on Sunday of $200 for school snacks, dinner mains and re-stocks. 1 shopping for shabbos on Thursday- $200. DH and I both work full time so we often grab lunch at a cafe.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:26 am
Family of 2. Prob around 1000. We often have company on shabbos

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:40 am
Family of 4.
Around $1,100 - $1,200
Including fish, meat, paper goods, detergent, soaps/pharmacy pull ups....
We divide out shopping between local grocery -weekly, walmart and shoprite - mostly.
Comes about to about 1k. But sometimes a little more.
We rarely buy takeout/pizza. That would be maybe $20- $25 a month averaged out if we do.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:19 am
Buy what is on sale.That is a huge savings for us.

Gerbera

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
Do you get any programs to supplement?

No! I live in Canada - we don't have such things to supplement food purchases here.

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:10 am
Do you grow your own veg?

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:14 am
We are a family of 5 2 adults and 3 kids that on an average day probably eat like 2 all together. On food items alone I spend around $1000-1200 a month. Paper items I try not to get at my grocery store so I cant include that in my grocery trips.

I go to trader joes twice a month and spend between 150-180 each time. That gets me the bulk or our non perishables and the majority of my kids snacks for school. Also I find things like empire chicken are a little cheaper per lb which adds up over time. If you dont keep Chalav Yisroel or Pas Yisroel there are even more choices then we have (we keep both).

I went once when it was not crowded and wrote down every item that I would normally buy at my big chain store like beans, pasta, quinoa, hot and cold cereal, marinara sauce, frozen veggies etc and hands down TJ's was cheaper on all of it. Also the fun treats are cheaper so when I want to splurge I dont feel bad or when I want to get items that are more for my convenience like pre-cut butternut squash or cauliflower rice its very reasonable.

I go to the main grocery store for kosher items closer to shabbos and spend around 130-150 each time. I get things like shabbos nosh, cheese, yogurt, milk, gefilte fish, some times fish sticks or salmon for dinner anything that is only available in the kosher aisle basically.

I also turned my own lunch making into an act of self care. I got into making myself healthy fun lunches to take to work and have cut down so much on the take out.

This is something I have been working really hard on for the past year or so. I used to spend A LOT more money and it was really becoming a big issue. Next is kicking my coffee habit but one step at a time lol.

Gerbera

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:19 am
I have no idea what WIC is...I assume that's something in the US? We are required by our children's schools to buy a certain amount of grocery cards per school year as the companies donate a percentage back to the school as a donation so it's all paid for by us out of pocket. The store I shop at in Canada is not in the US but for example I'd buy $250 of Walmart gift cards through the school office and then go grocery shopping using those cards.

No, I do not have a nursing baby. My eldest is 10 and youngest is 20 months.

I make a meal plan for the week...and only buy what we need and that's on the grocery list.

There are no "kosher" stores anywhere near where we live so I shop in a regular grocery store that has six aisles dedicated to just kosher items.

My kids don't get hot lunches in school so that includes stuff for lunches.

I enjoy the challenge of staying under budget. I'm not sure if perhaps groceries are cheaper here than in the US? I'll look at flyers and plan meals around what's cheap on a particular week.

Israeli_C

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:19 am
Family of 6 (although 2 aren't on solids yet) in central Israel.
We only eat fish and meat on shabbat.
We don't eat dairy, don't eat out (4 kids under 3 years old and no babysitter...) and don't buy ready made stuff.

1000 NIS per month on fruits/vegetables (gush katif greens only)
350 NIS per month on meat/fish (Lubavitch-friendly hechshers)
1000 NIS monthly shop in Rami Levi or Osher Ad

2350 (apparently about 651 USD)

Gerbera

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:21 am
dankbar wrote:
Do you grow your own veg?

If that was directed to me - absolutely not. It's been -35 degrees Celsius for days here...I couldn't grow a thing till spring!

Gerbera

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:23 am
chestnut wrote:
Where do you live/shop?

Canada - I shop at a regular chain grocery store.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics