Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Re-purposing old china

DVOM

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:23 am
A friend of mine recently inherited an old set of china, and passed it on to me, knowing my love of old and odd things. We have our own very loved china set, and don't really need another one. Plus, this set is missing many pieces. The china is white with a royal blue and gold border. I'd love to somehow repurpose this into shalach manos, using the plates as my 'packaging' but somehow it's not coming together for me. What could I serve on a china plate? Any ideas?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:34 am
Lay out various cookies in shrink wrap it.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:36 am
A "royal" theme, if you're into themes. That could easily be tied into Purim.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:11 am
How about a proper English Tea? A scone, muffin, finger sandwiches, tea, iced tea, a fruit, jam... that would look really pretty wrapped up in organza with a flower on it.

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:25 am
I would do blue and gold grass on the plates and wrap them with clear cellophane with white, blue, and gold ribbons covering the scotch tape. Depending on how matchy you want to be, you can find matching packaging and matching candies and matching liquor.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:00 am
Check if they have any monetary value before giving them out for shalach manos!
You might want to keep or sell them if they do

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:22 am
You can make bundt cakes that are small enough that when you put it on the plate the blue and gold trim still show. Put a mini blue, clear or gold bottle of schnapps (the cheap ones) on the side or in the whole of the bundt cake. Shrink wrap or wrap in a clear cellophane bag or clear cellophane. Add a white flower and royal blue and gold ribbon etc.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:48 am
Your MM needn’t match the chinaware in theme or sophistication. Just use the dishes as you would any dish you’d buy in a dollar store and wrap the whole deal in netting or cellophane. But do inform people of its denomination and whether or not it was toveled.

TBH I wouldn’t be happy to be saddled with a used dish, no matter how stunning, that has no sentimental value to me and I can’t even kasher. A new dish I could at least do with what I want, save for Pesach, keep pareve, regift. A used dish? Unless it coordinates well with my dishes from whichever denomination it is, in which case I MIGHT keep it for serving—though probably not— it’s going in the Goodwill bag before the contents are even consumed.

What I would do is find a nice young couple or single setting up a first apt. or someone becoming frum who is kashering their kitchen and give them the whole schmear. That’s what I did with my late mom’s china. The young lady who took the dishes was so excited and so appreciative. I’m sure my mother is glad someone is using her dishes and they’re not gathering dust in my closet.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:55 am
If all I had was a few pieces and I adored the pattern, I’d use plates as saucers under flowerpots, and possibly use a teacup or bowl as a flowerpot. I’ve been given a plant in a teacup. Ordinarily plants need drainage and solid china with no drainage hole is a no-no, but the plant was a sturdy variety that adapts well to abuse. It lived in that teacup for decades.

Or, I’d take ONE dinner plate or luncheon plate and hang it on a wall as a decorative conversation piece. The rest I’d give away as a unit.

DVOM

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:58 am
zaq wrote:
Your MM needn’t match the chinaware in theme or sophistication. Just use the dishes as you would any dish you’d buy in a dollar store and wrap the whole deal in netting or cellophane. But do inform people of its denomination and whether or not it was toveled.

TBH I wouldn’t be happy to be saddled with a used dish, no matter how stunning, that has no sentimental value to me and I can’t even kasher. A new dish I could at least do with what I want, save for Pesach, keep pareve, regift. A used dish? Unless it coordinates well with my dishes from whichever denomination it is, in which case I MIGHT keep it for serving—though probably not— it’s going in the Goodwill bag before the contents are even consumed.

What I would do is find a nice young couple or single setting up a first apt. or someone becoming frum who is kashering their kitchen and give them the whole schmear. That’s what I did with my late mom’s china. The young lady who took the dishes was so excited and so appreciative. I’m sure my mother is glad someone is using her dishes and they’re not gathering dust in my closet.

You guys are so creative! Such lovely ideas! However, when I read your post zaq, it really rang true. You make some very good points... Stay tuned for my next post: "who wants a set of dishes?"

cookies6

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:35 am
You can sell them to replacements.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics