Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Midtown NYC
1  2  3  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:32 am
Hi!
I'm looking for info on the Jewish community (communities?) In midtown Manhattan.
Any and all information appreciated.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:48 am
There's a Jewish community in Midtown?

manhattan mom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:52 am
Midtown east or west? Shabbos or weekday?

There is chabad near 5th Avenue. On the west side there is a Shul near Penn station called the west side jewish Center (not to be confused with the Jewish center on 86th Street in upper west side). On the east side there is aderet El which is on east 29th.

If for relocation purposes I highly recommend going to upper mid town and being walking distance to chabad of the 60s on west side or lincoln square both on west side. On east side you can go to Saffra which is Sephardic on east 63rd or ashkenaz to 5th Avenue synagogue on 5th ave and 62nd and they even have their own beautiful mikvah.

Good luck!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:19 am
manhattan mom wrote:
Midtown east or west? Shabbos or weekday?

There is chabad near 5th Avenue. On the west side there is a Shul near Penn station called the west side jewish Center (not to be confused with the Jewish center on 86th Street in upper west side). On the east side there is aderet El which is on east 29th.

If for relocation purposes I highly recommend going to upper mid town and being walking distance to chabad of the 60s on west side or lincoln square both on west side. On east side you can go to Saffra which is Sephardic on east 63rd or ashkenaz to 5th Avenue synagogue on 5th ave and 62nd and they even have their own beautiful mikvah.

Good luck!

For relocating, so Shabbos AND weekday.

Do you know the shuls affiliations?

Do you know which area is cheaper?

I really appreciate the help!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:24 am
Can I ask, why midtown?

I’m a long time upper west sider so I’m certainly a city person but wondering why that specific neighborhood

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:26 am
I don't know of any communities in midtown, just a few chabad families. Why are you looking specifically there? Anyone who works in midtown commutes. Most people who work elsewhere in Manhattan also commute because housing is exorbitant.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:27 am
Most of the religious Jews who live in NYC live on the UWS, UES, or LES. There are some smaller shuls in midtown, but most of them cater to commuting workers during the week, or do kiruv on non-frum residents. Certainly if you have kids and a family I'd recommend one of the three above areas, depending on your budget, religious affiliation, and locations of schools and work.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:31 am
pesek zman wrote:
Can I ask, why midtown?

I’m a long time upper west sider so I’m certainly a city person but wondering why that specific neighborhood

I'm not from there, so I don't know the neighborhoods, but we would both be commuting to midtown.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:34 am
seeker wrote:
I don't know of any communities in midtown, just a few chabad families. Why are you looking specifically there? Anyone who works in midtown commutes. Most people who work elsewhere in Manhattan also commute because housing is exorbitant.

See my response to pesek zman

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I'm not from there, so I don't know the neighborhoods, but we would both be commuting to midtown.

Midtown is where a lot of people work but few live

Upper west, upper east and even Washington Heights have large communities with shuls, schools, restaurants etc and are all commutable (fairly easily and quickly) to midtown.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:38 am
doctorima wrote:
Most of the religious Jews who live in NYC live on the UWS, UES, or LES. There are some smaller shuls in midtown, but most of them cater to commuting workers during the week, or do kiruv on non-frum residents. Certainly if you have kids and a family I'd recommend one of the three above areas, depending on your budget, religious affiliation, and locations of schools and work.

Got it.
Thanks for your input!

Budget - what are the prices like for a 2 br in those 3 areas?
Religious affiliation - jpf
Location of School's and work - midtown

Thanks you all for your input!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:40 am
pesek zman wrote:
Midtown is where a lot of people work but few live

Upper west, upper east and even Washington Heights have large communities with shuls, schools, restaurants etc and are all commutable (fairly easily and quickly) to midtown.

Thanks for the info.
So were a young family, what are the prices like for 2 br in those neighborhoods?
What are the shuls like?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the info.
So were a young family, what are the prices like for 2 br in those neighborhoods?
What are the shuls like?

High. But many (most) non wealthy make smaller spaces work. Example, a 1 bedroom but making a bedroom out of a dining room or a walk in closet. Check out street easy. Sounds like you still have a lot of research to do

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:46 am
pesek zman wrote:
High. But many (most) non wealthy make smaller spaces work. Example, a 1 bedroom but making a bedroom out of a dining room or a walk in closet. Check out street easy. Sounds like you still have a lot of research to do

I definitely do!
This is where I'm starting! (I don't have anyone irl to ask.)

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
I definitely do!
This is where I'm starting! (I don't have anyone irl to ask.)

Pls give us more information on your monthly budget for rent (we can tell you what you can get, where) as well as where you are religiously.

Also, many, many people cannot to afford (or don’t choose to live small) in Manhattan and so commute from outer boroughs (and even further)

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:09 am
Making a one bedroom into a makeshift 2 bedroom is ok for a small starting family but not long term. Once you're going to commute anyway, think about what you want in a broader sense (budget, community, schools) and don't limit yourself to Manhattan.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:10 am
seeker wrote:
Making a one bedroom into a makeshift 2 bedroom is ok for a small starting family but not long term. Once you're going to commute anyway, think about what you want in a broader sense (budget, community, schools) and don't limit yourself to Manhattan.

I Agree she shouldn’t limit herself but many many families choose location and short commute over space and actually make things work that you wouldn’t believe

(Raises hand)

ellacoe

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:49 pm
There are a lot of young couples moving to the Hells Kitchen area now, and there are some minyanmin there as well.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:

People commute to midtown from all over the tristate area. Do you know anyone in the NY area?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
For relocating, so Shabbos AND weekday.

Do you know the shuls affiliations?

Do you know which area is cheaper?

I really appreciate the help!

"Cheap" and "Manhattan" don't go together, unless you're talking about upper Manhattan ... and you're not.

There are 2-bedroom apartments for $2500, but probably not what you're looking for. Near minyans, you're probably looking at $3500, minimum, a month for a 2 bedroom. Probably more.

I'd suggest that you visit, to scout out different communities. There's decent public transportation, and most people do commute from the outer boroughs or suburbs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating