Home

Anti-black racism =abhorrent, Anti Semitic=tolerated

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Cheiny

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:53 pm
Why the double standard among so many, especially democrats? While the governor who supposedly dressed in black face, etc. 35 years ago (!) is now being vilified and forced to resign, Ilhan Omar, Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, who are openly anti Semitic, and pro BDS, and other dems who have embraced Louis Farrakhan remain allowed to spew their anti semitism with nary a word from their dem colleagues. Why is racism against blacks intolerable but racism against Jews is not?

Rubber Ducky

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:18 pm
The media finds it more convenient to villify Governor Northam's blackface/KKK costumes from 35 years ago than pay attention to his pro-infanticide stance now.

shyshira

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:21 pm
Do you want a thoughtful answer to this question? Or is this another rhetorical "Dems are bad" thread?

Squishy

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:49 pm
My theroy is that the democrats are courting the muslims and don't want to insult them. They are playing a long game just like they are with other immigrants. They are willing to write off Jews so not to offend a faster growing immigrant group.

leah233

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:57 pm
Squishy wrote:
My theroy is that the democrats are courting the muslims and don't want to insult them. They are playing a long game just like they are with other immigrants. They are willing to write offJews so not to offend a fast growing immigrant group.

They don't have to worry about losing the liberal Jewish vote even if they do offend them

I stopped looking at some of the left wing Jewish publications like The Forward when I realized that even if some "new face of the democratic party" were to get up and say straight out a comment like "Hitler didn't finish the job so we have now have a problem in Palestine" those publications and their readers will support and defend them anyhow.

Yes I'm exaggerating but not by so much. That really is the general sense I get from those publications.

Squishy

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:37 pm
leah233 wrote:
They don't have to worry about losing the liberal Jewish vote even if they do offend them

I stopped looking at some of the left wing Jewish publications like The Forward when I realized that even if some "new face of the democratic party" were to get up and say straight out a comment like "Hitler didn't finish the job so we have now have a problem in Palestine" those publications and their readers will support and defend them anyhow.

Yes I'm exaggerating but not by so much. That really is the general sense I get from those publications.

I have to agree. There is no explaining (to some people) that desensitizing antisemitism is bad for Jews.

I wrote that Jews supported Hitler in a recent thead which is a fact. I was accused by someone, who was previously not part of the thead, who claimed I was accusing her mother - a survivor - of supporting Hitler. You can't make this stuff up. Logic goes out the window when someone is emotionally triggered. That's one explanation.

FTR - Jews did support Hitler long after he expressed his antisemitic views. Also FTR, I am not accusing anyone in particular of supporting Hitler. (It's unbelievable I even have to say that.)

"The Association of German National Jews (German: Verband nationaldeutscher Juden) was a German Jewish organization during the Weimar Republic and the early years of Nazi Germany that eventually came out in support of Hitler."

Fox

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:54 pm
The answer, as Squishy alludes, is in demographics. The Democratic Party and American Jews are simply on a collision course, and the Democrats are smart enough to realize this.

Over the last few decades, the Democratic Party has become top-heavy with the urban, college-educated, professional elite. They share few goals with Orthodox Jews, who will become the vast majority of American Jews, b'derech teveh, by the end of the 21st century.

In other words, the Democratic Party has changed and the American Jewish community has changed. We've grown apart.

The Democratic Party recognizes that Jews are a fading constituency, so why put forth more effort than necessary reining in members with anti-Semitic views?

What I will find interesting is whether courting the Muslim vote will pay off in the long-run. Like the identification of other minorities with the Democratic Party, their allegiance is based primarily on the incompetence of the Republican Party rather than any benefit they receive from the Democratic Party.

Of course, attempts to get the Republican Party to be even slightly less incompetent seem doomed. Just as a platform based on hating President Trump isn't really a viable platform, a political strategy dependent on the opposing party acting crazy isn't really a viable strategy for winning elections.

Right now, I feel like Scott Presler is about the only Republican doing the work that truly needs to be done in reaching minority communities. Everyone else wants to sit around and write op-ed pieces and maybe argue on Twitter a bit.

Squishy

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:07 pm
Demographics

"Muslims in the U.S. are not as numerous as the number of Americans who identify as Jewish by religion, according to our estimate. At the same time, our projections suggest that the U.S. Muslim population will grow much faster than the country’s Jewish population. By 2040, Muslims will replace Jews as the nation’s second-largest religious group after Christians. And by 2050, the U.S. Muslim population is projected to reach 8.1 million, or 2.1% of the nation’s total population — nearly twice the share of today."

naturalmom5

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:30 pm
Squishy wrote:
I have to agree. There is no explaining (to some people) that desensitizing antisemitism is bad for Jews.

I wrote that Jews supported Hitler in a recent thead which is a fact. I was accused by someone, who was previously not part of the thead, who claimed I was accusing her mother - a survivor - of supporting Hitler. You can't make this stuff up. Logic goes out the window when someone is emotionally triggered. That's one explanation.

FTR - Jews did support Hitler long after he expressed his antisemitic views. Also FTR, I am not accusing anyone in particular of supporting Hitler. (It's unbelievable I even have to say that.)

"The Association of German National Jews (German: Verband nationaldeutscher Juden) was a German Jewish organization during the Weimar Republic and the early years of Nazi Germany that eventually came out in support of Hitler."

Meir Kahane hy"d ,said he never saw a people that were more their own worst enemy than the Jews

animeme

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:51 pm
I agree with Ben Shapiro's theory on this one. He says that in a specific way, antisemitism is different from most prejudices. As opposed to just seeing us as low or lesser than, it focuses on us having too much power and taking advantage of others. The Democratic party is all about defending the underdog, so defending us doesn't fit nicely into their platform (unless it has to do with the Holocaust), and attacking us often does.

simcha2

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:18 pm
Echo-cho-ho-o

amother

Babyblue

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:34 pm
excuse me? you have tinitus? reading is visual not audio

dancingqueen

Post  Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:45 pm
Your premise is wrong. Lots of people have been penalized for being anti Israel or anti-Semitic. Here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....suit/

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....c05d8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...../amp/

As for Tlaib and Omar, they have received backlash for their anti-Israel remarks though admittedly more from the republican side. I’m not a fan of either.

imasoftov

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 3:31 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Meir Kahane hy"d ,said he never saw a people that were more their own worst enemy than the Jews

Quoting the most famous Jewish racist ever in a thread about racism makes a twisted sort of sense I guess.

amother

Magenta

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:27 am
animeme wrote:
I agree with Ben Shapiro's theory on this one. He says that in a specific way, antisemitism is different from most prejudices. As opposed to just seeing us as low or lesser than, it focuses on us having too much power and taking advantage of others. The Democratic party is all about defending the underdog, so defending us doesn't fit nicely into their platform (unless it has to do with the Holocaust), and attacking us often does.

Lol, came here just to post about ben shapiro's theory about intersectionality and what he calls the hierarchy of victimhood.

Basically, the more victimized your group is, the more weight your opinion and "your truth" (not relation to the actual truth necessary) holds.

jews aren't seen enough as victims due to their successes so the intersectional philosophy doesn't see us as minorities anymore. Therefore antisemitism doesnt matter--unless it can be wielded as a political bludgeon. So you can bet that if a white trump supporter were saying the stuff coming out of the mouths of some intersectional female (score a point on the victim card), Muslim/Latina (another point!) Democrats, you could bet there would be blowback.

Same thing if the recent hate crimes in crown heights and flatbush were perpetrated by white trump supporters rather than black Democrats.

amother

Bisque

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:36 am
Right wingers: shut up about your victimhood, snowflakes

Also right wingers: waah waah why wont people talk about our victimhood we're the real victims

ShishKabob

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:15 am
amother wrote:

Also right wingers: waah waah why wont people talk about our victimhood we're the real victims

This sounds pretty intense.

Fox

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you, Bisque Amother!

You have brilliantly made the case against intersectionalism in a mere two sentences. I can't tell my DH it's time for dinner in less than three or four!

Intersectionalism doesn't do anything to increase equality of opportunity for people. It doesn't make people better prepared to overcome unfair prejudice. It doesn't make anyone less prejudiced or prone to stereotype. It doesn't even encourage basic politeness or civility.

It just makes everyone dissatisfied with his/her lot in life.

Last night on Twitter, I was blocked for the first time by another user. How did I cause such offense. I suggested to this individual -- who identified himself as a law professor -- that a person whose religion forbids homosexual conduct was not infringing on his civil rights by politely declining an invitation to his and his same-s-x partner's anniversary party.

So addicted is he to his spot on the totem pole of oppression that marriage equality wasn't enough. Nor is his apparently successful career evidence that he can function as a full-fledged member of society. He is not satisfied and thankful to live in a country where the laws of a particular religion are backed up by the police and military.

He will be happy only, he believes, when every single religion changes to accommodate him and no one disapproves, even privately, of any aspect of his life. It was tempting to tell him that more people probably hate him for being a lawyer than for being gay, but I'd already been blocked.

We can (or at least should) all agree that there is much that should be done to increase equality of opportunity both in the U.S. and around the world. There are plenty of legitimate problems to be solved.

But intersectionalism is ultimately a form of narcissism. No amount of progress is encouraging to the intersectionalist. No new law is adequate to appease the intersectionalist's demands. No amount of money, empathy, or sympathy will satisfy the intersectionalist. No accolades will demonstrate society's embrace of the intersectionalist. No amount of re-education will sufficiently reform the masses to the intersectionalist's satisfaction.

Moreover, as Bisque Amother points out, the intersectionalist sees justice and equality as if it were a pizza. If you get more, I get less.

This is not social justice. This is mental illness, writ large.

amother

Cerulean

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 3:22 pm
Fox wrote:
It was tempting to tell him that more people probably hate him for being a lawyer than for being gay, but I'd already been blocked [snipped]

LOL

simcha2

Post  Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:16 pm
[quote]Moreover, as Bisque Amother points out, the intersectionalist sees justice and equality as if it were a pizza. If you get more, I get less.

This is not social justice. This is mental illness, writ large.[quote]

Not sure what you are trying to say about the original post....
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h