Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Revitalizing old kitchen backsplash

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:07 pm
I would love to put a new backsplash on top of my old formica backsplash. I am keeping my old cabinets, and I don’t see how anyone could remove the backsplash without removing the upper cabinets. Is there anyone I could hire who could suggest what I can do? What kind of professional would I look for? I was thinking of applying a tin tile backsplash on top of the formica but I feel I need an expert’s advice. Alternatively, do you think I could just paint the formica somehow?

Any advice would be appreciated

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:40 pm
Especially if it's thin, how about roughening the surface and tiling right over it? I would ask at a tile store (NOT at Home Depot!).

A tile guy would be the right pro, but if this is a very low-budget project, a handyman can likely do the job reasonably well.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:03 pm
I'm concerned that the weight of the tile might pull the whole backsplash down. Is that a legitimate concern?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:29 pm
You could nail the Formica into the wall studs if that's a concern.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:32 pm
Without derailing your entire thread, can I just say I love your name? My dd has just started reading the BetsyTacy books Smile

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:33 pm
Thank you Rubber Ducky for your advice. Do you think a person at a tile store actually tackle a job like this? Including the nailing to the studs idea?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:41 pm
If you can find someone with a lot of experience there, they have likely encountered your type of situation before.

The tile store can probably recommend an installer but does not necessarily employ one.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:56 pm
Thanks rubber ducky. I hope I can find someone.

isrmss91

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:16 pm
How about using peel and stick mosaic tiles?? Cheapest and easiest way to cover up an old backsplash. Here is the page from Wayfair. Good luck with your project. https://www.wayfair.com/home-I......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen