Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Disastrous rental experience from a frum person - WWYD?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 7:47 pm
Was this in a Israel or the US?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:05 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Sounds awful but if DH had data for work why didn't you use that data to find another place, inconvenient as that is? You presumably also had phones? .

The place was extremely remote with no regular cell service. DH managed to tap into a local provider, but used up his roaming data allocation for the month in the absence of wifi.

The toilet flood happened the last night or we would have been out of there long before. In this remote location, the closest chain hotel was probably an hour away. We weren't going to drive around in the dark with sleeping kids without a confirmed destination.

I don't want to say too much about the location, but it was in the US. A separate halachic issue is what to write in the review.

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:23 pm
The whole thing screams "ask a Rabbi." Hamodia runs a really interesting business halacha column where I love to read about the factors involved in stories like this!

gande

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:05 am
I would do something about it because I wouldn't want other people getting scammed. Even just a threat to the owners-let them know they have to be honest about what you are paying for.

abound

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:21 am
I would call a Rav knowledgeable in Choshen mishpat. Legally you are not entitled to a large refund because you did stay and a plumbing situation is unforeseen so they would not be held responsible.
(showers and all that- a judge would probably say you decided to stay, so you need to pay anyway)
It might not seem fair but that is the legal aspect of it. Its like someone who is renting an apt and does not like that the window is broken, or the heat is not working.......If the person moves out they usually do not have to pay. If the person stays, then they pay for the days they are there.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 11:30 am
I feel sorry for you, it's not fun. These things happen all the time. Where did you inquire about this? Sounds like these are the accommodations, it doesn't sound like it deteriorated overnite. Maybe you didn't have the right expectations when you set out there. I'm not blaming you I'm just saying that if you spoke with people who have been there before, you would probably get the correct picture.

There's a so called 'hotel' somewhere that's a really hot spot for tourists. The place is gross. And guess what? after years and years the owner didn't change a thing for the better. He just knows that in prime season, people are desperate and they're willing to stay at his place. Especially yeshiva boys or singles, that aren't that particular. So guess what? He's still in business.

In this case, I would really ask a Rabbi. or/and
I would explain to the owner how disappointed you are and ask him to refund part of it. If he's unwilling to bend, you can tell him that if someone asks you about the place, you'll tell them exactly how it looks and what qualities they have and don't have.
Bhatzlocha

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
The place was extremely remote with no regular cell service. DH managed to tap into a local provider, but used up his roaming data allocation for the month in the absence of wifi.

The toilet flood happened the last night or we would have been out of there long before. In this remote location, the closest chain hotel was probably an hour away. We weren't going to drive around in the dark with sleeping kids without a confirmed destination.

I don't want to say too much about the location, but it was in the US. A separate halachic issue is what to write in the review.

Regarding the WIFI - sounds like they provided what was available for a location in a remote location.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
Regarding the WIFI - sounds like they provided what was available for a location in a remote location.

If her hsuband was able to use his phone as a hotspot, then there's internet available.

nechamashifra

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:36 pm
Leave an honest review on whichever website you found them. Why do you care that much about protecting them when they didn't seem too concerned about you and your family?
It makes more sense to protect future renters from a bad experience.

Last edited by nechamashifra on Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:

WWYD if you were in this situation? I assume people will say that the first step is to call and try to resolve a (partial?) refund from the owner. If the total cost was $600, what would be a reasonable compensation to receive? If they won't budge, can we go to the credit card? Or is this a question for a LOR?

Yes, you should contact the lessor first, and ask for a partial refund due to the problems that you experienced. That should definitely be done prior to disputing any charges with the credit card company.

I'd expect $100 to $200 off for your troubles. Some of the things were minor -- toilets not flushing on the first try -- and others are things that just sometimes happen -- toilets do break and overflow. The other things are more problematic.

If the issues are resolved, I wouldn't leave a review.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
If her hsuband was able to use his phone as a hotspot, then there's internet available.

When a phone is used as a hotspot, the internet connection is provided by the phone's data (normally 4G) connection. An independent internet connection is not used for this.

MalkyG

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:56 pm
beis din is def not an option as it's a relatively small amount of money we are talking about.
I would insist on a 50% refund, and if they aren't willing, I would dispute the entire charge from my credit card. (I would tell them I will dispute if you don't refund 50%)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics