Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o sinusitis. URGENT CARE OR ER?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:50 pm
Hi,
Same OP of sinus infection post.I'm making a new post with spin off topic, maybe more will advise
If you had sinus infection or a pain that needed antibiotics but not life threatening, and you couldn't go to Dr because they had no openings,
What's the difference, or pros and cons, of urgent care vs. emergency room? Is one covered by insurances more than other?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:53 pm
You should not use an ER for a sinus infection, that's exactly what urgent care is for. There is no benefit whatsoever to going to the ER. An ER is meant for true emergencies, for anything beyond the scope of an urgent care, or for someone who will possibly have to be admitted to the hospital. An urgent care is there for everything else.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:53 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,
Same OP of sinus infection post.I'm making a new post with spin off topic, maybe more will advise
If you had sinus infection or a pain that needed antibiotics but not life threatening, and you couldn't go to Dr because they had no openings,
What's the difference, or pros and cons, of urgent care vs. emergency room? Is one covered by insurances more than other?

I’m not understanding the emergency aspect...why can’t you wait until tomorrow and see your dr.? Some dr’s do not believe in treating sinusitis wth antibiotics and some do. There’s no proof they work in many cases...studies have shown the infection goes away same time whether treated with antibiotics or not. I’ve been through this numerous times. Rinse 3xday with saline spray, get a prescription for azelastine as a maintenance nasal spray, and take Zyrtec every night. Refuah shelaima.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:56 pm
An urgent care is made so that we shouldn't run to the ER with non life threatening emergencies, thus trying to prevent less overcrowding in the ER's and quicker service. If you need antibiotics, the urgent care doctor can prescribe it. Sinus infection is not a reason to go to the ER.
Did you try taking sudafed or sinus tylenol?
Flonase also works wonders.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:59 pm
I also wonder what you mean when you say your doctor has no openings. If you're an established patient and you call when they open in the morning, they should give you an appointment if you're sick. I'm not familiar with doctors turning away established patients who are sick.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:07 pm
I'm a new patient In a new city

Ok, no ER, yes urgent care if no Dr will take me tomorrow

Thank you, everyone!

(I have a nebby hospital within five minutes of my house, while urgent care is over 20 minutes away, which is why I asked.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:08 pm
Cons of ER in such a situation:

1. Hours of wait time (think all night in a bright, noisy, germy place)
2. Expensive co-payment
3. Small issue (comparatively) that they're not willing to oversee so while they may give you something for now, you'll still have to follow up with your doc

Busy as a bee

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:19 pm
I use my insurance telemedicine option for this (and have!) Just be careful about which dr you select. I'd google them Smile
Also alot of drs wont prescribe antibiotics for sinus infection unless it's been over a week so just a heads up

happy12

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:16 am
Some insurance companies won't pay for the ER visit if it is not due to a true emergency.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics