Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Barbie dolls

mother of 2 princess's

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:50 pm
well my daughters 6 and nearly 7
shes very attached to her barbie dolls
I never saw anything wrong with them untilnow
I remeber once my mum bought a barbie for my neice and my sis in law said there not aloud barbies and I thought she was mad so did my mum for that matter.
but now my daughters starting wanting to dress like them and I just dont like how she plays with them etc.
my mums going to buy her a galley doll I dont know if you know what that is a doll with tznuis clothes. and I just wondered if any of you have any good ideas how I should take barbie away
she knows some of her freinds are not aloud them and one freind who moved to the states left her barbie dolls for her as she wasnt aloud them anymore

Mommy912

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 8:22 pm
There is a thread on this in Chinuch/Education called Barbie Dolls - The Toy

lucy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 9:26 pm
you mentioned a "galley doll". Is that a tznius barbie or is it a frum version? I've never heard of it.
Because maybe that would be a good transition for her, then you wouldn't feel like your taking away something from her.

technic

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:35 pm
I suspect its gali...

queenie

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 6:32 pm
There's also the American girl doll. You can go to Americangirl.com they are very popular and there are a lot of tzniut dolls to choose from. They are complete characters each with their own history.

technic

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 7:24 pm
this is from forward 2001- unfortunately the website for the clothes (www.msmodesty.com) doesnt seem 2 exist any more Sad

I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Frummie World
Los Angeles Longshoreman Sews the All-American Doll Some Modest Attire
By ALIZA PHILLIPS
Barbie, the iconic all-American doll, is known for many things: her model-like bodily proportions, her flowing hair and her long-standing romance with the dashing Ken. One thing she is not known for is her conformity with the Orthodox standards of modest dress. Until now, that is.

Meet Monica Garcia, a single mother and longshoreman at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, Calif., who has set herself to the task of designing and making modest clothes for Barbie and other 11-inch dolls. Ms. Garcia's clothes, which cover the knees of the nubile dolls long-criticized by feminist activists for the body-image pressure they place on young girls, show a lot less skin than the average bikini worn by Malibu Barbie.

"The problem is the very skimpy dresses. They make Barbie look like a harlot," said Ms. Garcia, 32, who converted to Orthodox Judaism three years ago and gave birth to her first child earlier this year. Both of these life-changing events inspired her to make clothes that prescribed a more traditional way of life. "I talked to some parents at the synagogue I go to, and they were not happy with the way Barbie was dressed," Ms. Garcia said.

A resident of Irvine, Calif., Ms. Garcia, whose business has been operational since September, hawks her wears on the Internet at msmodesty.com. She offers 10 outfits on her site, priced at $19.99 apiece, three to four times the retail price of the clothes made by Barbie's manufacturer, Mattel. The outfits, all either dresses or long skirts and matching tops, are divided into three categories: casual, weekend and elegant wear and bear descriptive titles such as, "pink outfit with black trim and bows," "dark brown outfit with black flower" and "fuchsia outfit with white."

According to Julia Jensen, a spokeswoman for Mattel's girls division, last year the 42-year-old Barbie brand raked in $1.5 billion. The average American girl owns 10 Barbies, she said. Somewhere in the world, three of the dolls are sold each second. Ms. Garcia's endeavor is a testament to Barbie's popularity, Ms. Jensen said. "She must recognize the power of our brand."

Roberta Carasso, who goes to synagogue with Ms. Garcia, purchased four outfits and sent them to her granddaughters living in Israel. "My son and daughter-in-law don't like them to play with Barbies, because they give off a very seductive message," she said. Ms. Garcia's clothes make the dolls more acceptable to Orthodox parents concerned about issues of modesty, Ms. Carasso said, "even though the girls tend to take clothes off and [the dolls] are naked anyway."

queenie

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 11:09 pm
Great article and the naked thing is totally true!!

WE have a rule about naked barbies....NO NAKED BARBIES!!!

OK, we don't yell but I tell the kids, I don't want to see immodest, undressed untzniut dolls. When you are finished playing make sure they have clothes on.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 2:18 am
Get your kid the new tznius doll before taking barbie away from her, and try to talk to her, how much nicer the new doll is, or maybe the 2 new dolls should be friends for a few days/weeks, and then tell her the barbie is going bye bye but wont come back anymore, she is going to live s/where else, whatever, come up with a/thing, be creative.

technic

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 4:12 am
maybe barbie can "make aliya" (this will only work if u dont live in israel Exclamation )

queen

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 11:53 am
LOL technic..... you always have something witty to say!
Queen

technic

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 12:41 pm
ty <blushing>
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics