Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Instant pot for boy in dorm

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:59 am
My ds is in a yeshiva dorm and has to make his own meals. The dorm has a stove and toaster oven. He wants to get a deep fryer because he's had it before and loved it but I think it's a waste of an investment for his purpose. I mentioned an instant pot. What do you think?

flmommy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:06 am
Sure or a slow cooker if he likes those type of stew/soup foods. You mentioned a deep fryer but what about an air fryer?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:24 am
flmommy wrote:
Sure or a slow cooker if he likes those type of stew/soup foods. You mentioned a deep fryer but what about an air fryer?

Is that what it would be best for, stews and soups? I thought it says it can also be for other things. When we were discussing a deep fryer, I thought of an instant pot instead. I said an air fryer would be better and than thought of an instant pot.

nchr

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:27 am
A crock pot would be good because he can leave things in the morning and eat them later on- chili, brisket, stews etc.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:44 am
An instant pot can be used as a crockpot but it can also be used as a very high tech pressure cooker.

I would think if he is the type of guy who would actually assemble the ingredients for a stew or a braised meal, an Instant Pot would be excellent for him. He would also have the option to come home and cook a meaty dish very quickly by taking advantage of the pressure cooking technology. The results are supposed to be very good based on what my friends say.

A small deep fry would be more of a fun item IMO as it would enable him to make fried snack items.

Where is he going to store this stuff? I ask because I wouldn't want everyone in the dorm using these items because inevitably they will get broken.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:53 am
Whatever helps him cook is great. I would check that the room has enough electrical capacity to handle all these gadgets. It's no fun putting up a Crock-Pot in the morning and coming home at night to a cold, dark room with raw food.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:59 am
You can also use the IP to sauté and boil water. It has a great sauté setting and water comes to a boil pretty quickly. He can leave the lid off, set it to saute, and make stir fry. He can add oil to it and fry schnitzel. I make way more than soup and stew in mine! Chicken and potatos, couscous, rice, oh! And pasta with meat sauce. Meat balls in 8 mins. Hard boiled eggs. I think it would be great for a dorm.

flmommy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 11:46 am
I want to marry my children to your DS. You sound like a great mom and your DS is going to be a great catch!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen