Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shaitel = long full perfect hair, just wig = natural look ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:47 pm
I have always wanted a silver wig and you bet I will do it when I'm old enough! Anon bc I always say that!
Another thing, real hair thins but wigs don't, so most women don't pay thousands for a new wig only to take out half the hair so it looks age appropriate.
I personally have a messy natural look that I think is very authentic, I always hated the frum luscious just perfectly so locks.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:55 pm
Honestly the full wigs are cheaper. If you want that sleek natural look, be prepared to pay for it.

In general, cheap wigs look "wiggy". And expensive wigs look more natural. Which is why so many frum women spend so much money on their shaitels....

And in my experience, non-jews don't realized that you're wearing a wig, even if it looks "wiggy". Unless they are told.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
While I do agree with the saying regarding mutton dressed as lamb, I also don't think women above a certain age are relegated to looking like a bubbe.

I've deliberately not used women with obvious plastic surgery. Although Meryl Streep might have some work done, she doesn't look like a spring chicken in terms of her face either.

[img]https://I.pinimg.com/236x/5b/50/36/5b5036e3bf2f0c2fe39c9a22b382624a--wavy-hair-long-hair.jpg[/img

I don't know, I still think that most women that age look way more classy with shorter hair. Meryl Streep for sure looks better in the shorter styles, IMO.

And the ladies above, IMO are the exception, not the rule.

And OP! Welcome to the community! We're so happy to have another member, regardless of your choice of headcovering! :-)

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 10:21 pm
People don’t notice the gradual changes in themselves and most women continue to dress and make up the way they did when they became conscious of fashion. This is why you see 70-year-olds with coal-black hair, for example. They were inky at twenty, started coloring at thirty, and stuck to the same shade ever since instead of acknowledging that a softer shade would be not only more believable but also more flattering. “O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us/ To see oursels as ithers see us”—Robert Burns

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:55 am
What do you care? Let people wear what they want! I know frum 50 year old women who look like they are 30. Should they wear a grey curly sheital or a short brown bob? Maybe their face suits a younger look. (On the flip side I know 30 years olds who look 50 and suit those older styles) I am over 40 and my hair is no thinner then it was when I was 21. And it has no grey hairs at all.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:39 am
For what it's worth, most of the non-wig-wearing women I know color their hair when it starts to go grey, or if they want a different look.

As for the oddly glamorous wigs that have been popular among frum women in recent years, I put them in a similar category as the skimpy miniskirts and skin-tight tops that are worn in the name of modesty. For those of us from outside the religious world, it's not what we expected. I personally don't have an issue with the wigs, but they're not my style.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:44 am
I've lost count of the amount of elderly women I've seen (particularly at weddings in Kfar Chabad) with long flowing golden curls. It's kinda shocking when you see them from behind and think they're a young stunner and then suddenly she swings around and you see she's the bride's bubbie. But whatever, live and let live, if that's what makes them happy then yasher koach.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:22 am
Wig styles mimic current fashions mostly. I never really watched movies as a kid growing up in the 80s/90s and I watched home alone when I was an adult and I remember being surprised at how much the mothers hair resembled the sheitals people wore when I was a child.

The long wavy styles popular now are common with current non Jewish celebrities.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:32 am
amother wrote:

The long wavy styles popular now are common with current non Jewish celebrities.

But they are celebrities Smile And we see them on a runway or a party in very immodest clothes, not in everyday life shopping with kids Smile Why mimic only hair ?
I don’t see many secular women in 40-50-60 with such hairstyle.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
The point of frum women wearing a wig is that it should "not" look like our hair, it should be noticable that we cover our hair.

No it’s not. The point of a frum woman covering her hair is because it becomes erva once she becomes married, and men other than her husband are not allowed to see it. It’s not about others knowing her hair is covered, it is about HER keeping it private for her husband. It does not need to be noticeable to others.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:42 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I've lost count of the amount of elderly women I've seen (particularly at weddings in Kfar Chabad) with long flowing golden curls. It's kinda shocking when you see them from behind and think they're a young stunner and then suddenly she swings around and you see she's the bride's bubbie.

Very Happy My husband (who also new in frum community) says the look just scares him . He thinks it’s very immodest too .

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I don't care practically, like in a real way.

But I just think there's beauty to aging gracefully, and pretending to look 20 seems sad because of that.

I often am surprised when I see a woman from the back with long full hair, and then she turns around and has well, more of an older face, to be blunt. Old faces can be beautiful, but with a luscious head of celebrity hair...It's a bit off putting, is all.

It's like a 20 year old wearing pig tails. Don't get me wrong. Pig tails are adorable on a 5 year old! But it wpuldmight look strange, even on an adorable dimpled 25 year old.

I guess it's about knowing what you are, who you have developed to become.

And when exactly does one embrace grandmahood or the wisdom of matriarchy? Like, no one expects to rock a long wig at 90 and still be taken Seriously. So for the lady who said she refuses to look "graying and over the hill" - when exactly will this transformation happen?

It's hard to explain what I mean. It's OK if people don't get it. But I'm sure some of you do.

Gonna try to show pics of what I mean if I have time.

I am the poster nearly 50 who earlier said someone thought I had stopped covering my hair. The day she said that to me I was wearing my sheital in pigtails as I had done a fun run with DC. I was only 46 at the time though. LOL

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 3:15 pm
My pet peeve is that I meet so many women my age with a daughter in HS
Both mother and daughter are wearing the same uniform
Nothing screams NEBBY more

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 3:21 pm
Mom wears a school uniform?

zoom

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:22 pm
I think the reason people get the long flowy full look with wigs(def my reason) is because wigs cost a fortune and at that price, youre limited to one or 2, better to start off fuller and longer and adapt as you go along. With the price of wigs nowadays, theres not much room for variety..its a shame.

whewpy

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:27 am
50 is the new 30. Very many 50 year olds look very young for their age, have young kids in the house, are living hectic lives like the 35 year olds, their own hair under wigs is still nice and blond, Brown etc....don't think it dawns that were now supposed to be old and need to dress "50"

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:47 am
I'd also love a chic silver wig one day!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:56 am
Like Greenfire and Raisin, I am blessed with thick, healthy hair that has not thinned since I hit twenty. I don't have to do *anything* with it; I make sure to condition it well after I wash it, I scrunch in some Devacurl, and I'm done. (And because it's reasonably long and full, it takes four hours to naturally dry. I rarely blow dry). I don't really care that others associate long hair with youth. I associate long hair with having a style that frames my face. I enjoy it.

The bride's grandmother's who looked so good from the back and so shockingly old from the front? You know, we all age. Who says we have to match our worst feature? If someone has to lose a few pounds, should they get a boring bob? If someone's eyelids droop, should she make sure to get a tan so that her face will wrinkle? That seems silly to me. We should play to our strengths.

aricelli

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:00 am
once youre in your 50’s you still want to look beautiful! And there are longer styles that are flattering to “older” women. Its ok to want to look nice and mature and not bubby-ish and mature. You need to find the balance. Remember also- when our bubbies were wearing short wigs so were everyone! Styles were shorter all around. My bubby didnt switch to short at a certain age: she always wore that

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:25 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Honestly the full wigs are cheaper. If you want that sleek natural look, be prepared to pay for it.

In general, cheap wigs look "wiggy". And expensive wigs look more natural. Which is why so many frum women spend so much money on their shaitels....

And in my experience, non-jews don't realized that you're wearing a wig, even if it looks "wiggy". Unless they are told.

My non Jewish coworkers could not figure out I was wearing my wiggy wig until a few years into the job, I was talking to someone and adjusted it without thinking I was in public. Some were fashionable females.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics