Home

Did you see the State Of The Union Speech?
  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Cheiny




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:35 pm
I thought Pres. Trump was magnificent. He did everything possible to express his desire for unity and to work together with dems for the good of the American people, whom he clearly loves. Nancy Pelosi and her party members disgraced themselves, as they didn’t even have the decency to applaud and stand for all the wonderful points the president made. They looked small, childish, and even hateful when they sat in silence when he mentioned Israel and Jerusalem. And Pelosi’s baby faces that she kept making, along with her eye rolls, were beneath the dignity an elected official should possess. What an embarrassment for the country.
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:38 pm
Thanks for sharing.
Back to top

amother




Teal


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:39 pm
I had no interest in watching Trump speak but I enjoyed Steven Colbert's show afterwards!

Really, Cheiny, what's the purpose of another thread about the president? Enough is enough already!

- a Democrat bas a Democrat and a legal immigrant
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:34 pm
I didn't see it. I heard it. It was very well-written and parts were genuinely moving.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:24 pm
Yup. Totally rocked it.

Interesting to me that the Democrats are adopting the never-miss-an-opportunity-to-miss-an-opportunity strategy that I thought surely the establishment Republicans had patented by now.

Stacey Abrams' speech could have easily blown Trump away. Her delivery and persona is fantastic. Despite the fact that I disagree vehemently with most of her positions, I find her incredibly likable. Had they put me in charge of writing her speech, I would have taken the following rhetorical stance: congratulate Trump for everything he's done (thus appearing gracious and open to compromise) and then focus on how the Democrats don't want to put in place policies that will have unintended consequences and infringe on people's rights. That would enable them to oppose the specifics of various Trump proposals without seeming churlish or out-of-touch.

However, I suspect the Democratic leadership is so fragmented that they can't get everyone together on a strategy.

Based on other news this week, I think the Democrats need to take seriously the role of black conservative activists. Aside from the public faces, such as Candace Owens and Bryan Sharpe, there are a handful of serious activists who are using legal channels and investigative reporting to knock down a lot of sacred cows.

They are determined to take down the SPLC, and the latest lawsuit looks very, very good. They were also the organizers behind identifying verified journalists who misreported or threatened the Covington students. Unlike traditional Republican debate-club-style activists, they are taking no prisoners. However, I suspect most Democrats aren't interested in my advice.
Back to top

amother




Ruby


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:29 pm
Yes. Dh,my teens, and I all watched it together. I rate it a ten. Trump spoke well, brought up good points, and behaved himself. He honored 2 survivers which were touching and some other people including a sweet 10 year old girl

The women dressed in white though all
Looked like fools. A couple of silly idiots. But Trump got them to stand up and to cheer at one point.
Back to top

meyerlemon44




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
I had no interest in watching Trump speak but I enjoyed Steven Colbert's show afterwards!

Really, Cheiny, what's the purpose of another thread about the president? Enough is enough already!

- a Democrat bas a Democrat and a legal immigrant


The State of the Union address is a pretty huge deal. IMO it's reasonable for someone to want to discuss it.
Back to top

malky12




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:34 pm
I think it was amazing
he spend extra time on the holocaust survivors, and the cute moment the audience start singing happy birthday to the Jewish guy yehuda samet
heartfelt moment when president welcomed the young cancer survivor girl
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:35 pm
I liked it. I think he did a great job.
Back to top

amother




Gold


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:42 pm
Fox wrote:
Yup. Totally rocked it.

Interesting to me that the Democrats are adopting the never-miss-an-opportunity-to-miss-an-opportunity strategy that I thought surely the establishment Republicans had patented by now.

Stacey Abrams' speech could have easily blown Trump away. Her delivery and persona is fantastic. Despite the fact that I disagree vehemently with most of her positions, I find her incredibly likable. Had they put me in charge of writing her speech, I would have taken the following rhetorical stance: congratulate Trump for everything he's done (thus appearing gracious and open to compromise) and then focus on how the Democrats don't want to put in place policies that will have unintended consequences and infringe on people's rights. That would enable them to oppose the specifics of various Trump proposals without seeming churlish or out-of-touch.

However, I suspect the Democratic leadership is so fragmented that they can't get everyone together on a strategy.

Based on other news this week, I think the Democrats need to take seriously the role of black conservative activists. Aside from the public faces, such as Candace Owens and Bryan Sharpe, there are a handful of serious activists who are using legal channels and investigative reporting to knock down a lot of sacred cows.

They are determined to take down the SPLC, and the latest lawsuit looks very, very good. They were also the organizers behind identifying verified journalists who misreported or threatened the Covington students. Unlike traditional Republican debate-club-style activists, they are taking no prisoners. However, I suspect most Democrats aren't interested in my advice.


I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- that you would criticize the Democrats. I mean, you seem to like them so much most of the time.

Alas, I was sick last night, and missed SOTU. Heard it was a good speech; I'll have to watch it another time. But I find it hard to believe that Trump was serious when he said, "We must reject the politics of revenge, resistance and retribution -- and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise and the common good." This is the man who refers to people as "Crooked Hilary," "Nasty Woman," "Slimeball James Comey," "Sneaky Dianne Feinstein," "M-13 Lover Nancy Pelosi," and a host more. In his "off the record chat" with networks just hours before the speech, he reportedly called Biden “dumb,” and Schumer a “nasty son of a b1tch.” Does any of that sound like someone looking to build bridges to you?

And he did sound like he's still afraid of Mueller, although you have repeatedly assured all of us that notwithstanding 37 indictments and 5 or so guilty pleas/ convictions, there's really nothing there at all, and neither Trump nor his associates ever did a thing wrong.
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- that you would criticize the Democrats. I mean, you seem to like them so much most of the time.

Alas, I was sick last night, and missed SOTU. Heard it was a good speech; I'll have to watch it another time. But I find it hard to believe that Trump was serious when he said, "We must reject the politics of revenge, resistance and retribution -- and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise and the common good." This is the man who refers to people as "Crooked Hilary," "Nasty Woman," "Slimeball James Comey," "Sneaky Dianne Feinstein," "M-13 Lover Nancy Pelosi," and a host more. In his "off the record chat" with networks just hours before the speech, he reportedly called Biden “dumb,” and Schumer a “nasty son of a b1tch.” Does any of that sound like someone looking to build bridges to you?

And he did sound like he's still afraid of Mueller, although you have repeatedly assured all of us that notwithstanding 37 indictments and 5 or so guilty pleas/ convictions, there's really nothing there at all, and neither Trump nor his associates ever did a thing wrong.


The Democrats are no better than he is in terms of partisanship and revenge politics. See Kavanaugh. (That was the turning point for me. The proof that I was right about my suspicions that the whole thing was a political ploy is the current lack of media attention given to Justin Fairfax's accuser.)
See Schumer. See Ocasio-Cortez.

At least Trump offered a message of goodwill. I have yet to hear that from the Democrats.
Back to top

amother




Ruby


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:56 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
The Democrats are no better than he is in terms of partisanship and revenge politics. See Kavanaugh. (That was the turning point for me. The proof that I was right about my suspicions that the whole thing was a political ploy is the current lack of media attention given to Justin Fairfax's accuser.)
See Schumer. See Ocasio-Cortez.

At least Trump offered a message of goodwill. I have yet to hear that from the Democrats.


The dems dressed in their KKK outfits were extremely disrespectful and did not behave themselves. For this reason I respect them even less then I did until now.
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
The dems dressed in their KKK outfits were extremely disrespectful and did not behave themselves. For this reason I respect them even less then I did until now.


Which Dems in KkK outfits? Are you being facetious or did I miss something?
Back to top

amother




Gold


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:04 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
The Democrats are no better than he is in terms of partisanship and revenge politics. See Kavanaugh. (That was the turning point for me. The proof that I was right about my suspicions that the whole thing was a political ploy is the current lack of media attention given to Justin Fairfax's accuser.)
See Schumer. See Ocasio-Cortez.

At least Trump offered a message of goodwill. I have yet to hear that from the Democrats.


Democrats tried to work with Republicans for 8 years under Obama. All they got once "not an inch" from McConnell and others.

You're assuming that no one believed that Kavanaugh tried to rape that woman. I believe that he did, and that there is no way he should be sitting on the Supreme Court. That's not revenge politics. Indeed, if the Democrats had wanted to act like the Republicans (see Merrick Garland), then they would have done the same to Gorsuch. But they didn't.

Justin Fairfax -- a lieutenant governor (fast -- without googling, who is the lt. governor of New York?) is hardly as prominent as the Supreme Court. But in any case, in the past 6 hours:

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....9d592

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0......html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and.....ation

https://slate.com/news-and-pol......html

Picking a few mainstream to left publications.

But its fascinating that you think that a Democrat should immediately step down based on allegations that a consensual encounter became non-consensual, but think that its an absolute travesty that Kavanaugh was questioned about an encounter. What in your mind differentiates them -- apart from the obvious that one involves a Republican, and the other an Democrat.

And yes, if the allegations are believable, he should resign.
Back to top

amother




Gold


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:06 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Which Dems in KkK outfits? Are you being facetious or did I miss something?


The Democratic women wore white to honor suffragettes. I guess that women's rights are the same thing as lynching blacks. Banging head
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:11 pm
amother wrote:
The Democratic women wore white to honor suffragettes. I guess that women's rights are the same thing as lynching blacks. Banging head


To some people here, yes. I'm sorry you went as amother, I'd like to call you a friend.


As for the SOTU being a divisive evening, it always is, no matter who is in office. Obama, and all the GOP sat and didn't clap. Bush, Dems sat and GOP clapped. This isn't a new phenomenon.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
The dems dressed in their KKK outfits were extremely disrespectful and did not behave themselves. For this reason I respect them even less then I did until now.


They wore white to commemorate the female suffragettes who, 100 years ago, worked hard to get women the right to vote.
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:27 pm
All this hate is really unbecoming.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
All this hate is really unbecoming.


The SOTU hate has always been unbecoming. I personally can't believe the adults we elect behave this way. But they always have. Both sides of the aisle.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- that you would criticize the Democrats. I mean, you seem to like them so much most of the time.

Alas, I was sick last night, and missed SOTU. Heard it was a good speech; I'll have to watch it another time. But I find it hard to believe that Trump was serious when he said, "We must reject the politics of revenge, resistance and retribution -- and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise and the common good." This is the man who refers to people as "Crooked Hilary," "Nasty Woman," "Slimeball James Comey," "Sneaky Dianne Feinstein," "M-13 Lover Nancy Pelosi," and a host more. In his "off the record chat" with networks just hours before the speech, he reportedly called Biden “dumb,” and Schumer a “nasty son of a b1tch.” Does any of that sound like someone looking to build bridges to you?

And he did sound like he's still afraid of Mueller, although you have repeatedly assured all of us that notwithstanding 37 indictments and 5 or so guilty pleas/ convictions, there's really nothing there at all, and neither Trump nor his associates ever did a thing wrong.

Gold, honey, you are fooling no one. You have one strategy: pretending to repeat statements in a sarcastic manner, regardless of whether anyone ever actually made the statement in the first place or whether it has any relevance to the thread:

"Oh, and gravity keeps things from drifting away, right?"

"Nothing here to see! The sun's just rising in the morning and setting in the evening."

"Sure, Fox, keep on believing that chocolate milkshakes are better than vanilla."

You have been at this for nearly 3 years now. If you have an observation about the rhetoric of the President or the Democrats, by all means make it. But if you didn't see the speech or Abrams' response, you don't really have much to add to this particular thread. Feel free to start one about how loathsome you find the President -- and use your screen name. Unless, of course, you're embarrassed of your inability to be rational on this subject.
Back to top
  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 11 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Looking for a top speech therapist
by amother
22 Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:24 am View last post
Speech therapist Brooklyn who will accept RSA?
by amother
1 Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:09 am View last post
Top speech therapist who is an expert with articulation
by amother
11 Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:57 pm View last post
United health and speech therapy- Lakewood
by amother
17 Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:10 am View last post
Seeking recommendation for speech therapist
by amother
4 Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:52 pm View last post

Jump to: