Home

Did you see the State Of The Union Speech?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Lavender

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
The Democratic women wore white to honor suffragettes. I guess that women's rights are the same thing as lynching blacks. Banging head

Historically, Democrats are the party of the KKK. It's not a good visual this week with what is going on in Virginia. There was not one American Flag among the Democratic women. AOC, looking ridiculous in her white cape, was the only Democrat who couldn't stand and applaud for Melania Trump and even refused to applaud the ICE agent who saved more than 300 girls and woman from coyote smugglers. She could care less about other women.

Kiwi13

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:53 pm
My favorite was the World War II hero who looked so incredibly happy to be there, smiling ear to ear the entire time. You could tell he was having one of the best days of his life!

Fox

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:54 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
To some people here, yes. I'm sorry you went as amother, I'd like to call you a friend.

Really? On what do you base your assertion that there are women on Imamother who equate women voting with lynchings? Or are you just supporting Gold Amother's ridiculous hyperbole on general principle?

Do you genuinely feel that having new Congressional members wear white in honor of the Suffragettes was the best possible rhetorical strategy in light of the current fracas in Virginia? You don't see how it lent itself to comparisons of Democratic support of the KKK?

As Gold Amother has pointed out, I personally don't care, but if I were giving advice, I would suggest not making it quite so easy for my opponents to juxtapose photos of the KKK marching in their robes at Democratic conventions with white-clad Congresswomen . . .

It's never a good strategy to walk into jokes that are going to write themselves.

amother

Pearl

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:55 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The SOTU hate has always been unbecoming. I personally can't believe the adults we elect behave this way. But they always have. Both sides of the aisle.

We shouldn't be lowering ourselves as well.

Its really dreadful to read such viscous comments here - that don't serve any purpose.

amother

Gold

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:57 pm
Fox wrote:
Really? On what do you base your assertion that there are women on Imamother who equate women voting with lynchings? Or are you just supporting Gold Amother's ridiculous hyperbole on general principle?

Do you genuinely feel that having new Congressional members wear white in honor of the Suffragettes was the best possible rhetorical strategy in light of the current fracas in Virginia? You don't see how it lent itself to comparisons of Democratic support of the KKK?

As Gold Amother has pointed out, I personally don't care, but if I were giving advice, I would suggest not making it quite so easy for my opponents to juxtapose photos of the KKK marching in their robes at Democratic conventions with white-clad Congresswomen . . .

It's never a good strategy to walk into jokes that are going to write themselves.

No, I honestly don't think that anyone with enough brain cells to form a synapse would conflate a multi-ethnic group of women wearing white with members of the KKK. Any more than I would conflate my kids wearing white on Rosh Chodesh with the KKK.

The fact that some Republicans are attempting to do so does not disprove my point.

Fox

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
. . . and even refused to applaud the ICE agent who saved more than 300 girls and woman from coyote smugglers.

Even worse was Kamala Harris shaking her head in disagreement . . . with human trafficking and s-xual assault?!

Of course, that led to the best "fact check" of the evening, wherein WaPo claimed that Trump's statement about a third of migrant women being "s-xually assaulted" during their journeys was wrong. A third of them are "s-xually abused." Oh, well, carry on, then!

amother

Gold

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Historically, Democrats are the party of the KKK. It's not a good visual this week with what is going on in Virginia. There was not one American Flag among the Democratic women. AOC, looking ridiculous in her white cape, was the only Democrat who couldn't stand and applaud for Melania Trump and even refused to applaud the ICE agent who saved more than 300 girls and woman from coyote smugglers. She could care less about other women.

Yet somehow, the head of the KKK endorsed Trump.

And your history is clearly off if you think that the Democrats were the party of the KKK. In the South, of course, there were the Dixiecrats or Jim Crow Democrats -- conservatives who would not call themselves Republicans because of the Civil War -- who supported the KKK. But they weren't real Democrats. Elsewhere, it was pure Republican.

vintagebknyc

Fox wrote:

I find your attack on me ridiculous and deeply unkind, and you’ve known me a long time. You, Fox, hurt my feelings. Thanks for that. I didn’t come to this thread to chose sides, just explain about the suffragettes. A brave group of women who changed America. History and fought for women.

Fox

amother wrote:
No, I honestly don't think that anyone with enough brain cells to form a synapse would conflate a multi-ethnic group of women wearing white with members of the KKK. Any more than I would conflate my kids wearing white on Rosh Chodesh with the KKK.

The fact that some Republicans are attempting to do so does not disprove my point.

This might work if the Democratic Party didn't have a long, close history of ties to the KKK and if we all hadn't been reminded of those ties last week.

amother

Gold

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:08 pm
Fox wrote:
Even worse was Kamala Harris shaking her head in disagreement . . . with human trafficking and s-xual assault?!

Of course, that led to the best "fact check" of the evening, wherein WaPo claimed that Trump's statement about a third of migrant women being "s-xually assaulted" during their journeys was wrong. A third of them are "s-xually abused." Oh, well, carry on, then!

That's not what WaPo said, but it makes a lovely sound bite:

Quote:
Trump states as a fact that 1 out of 3 women traveling through Mexico is s-xually assaulted. But the report did not conduct a random-sample survey that could be applied to all migrant women. Instead, the group interviewed nearly 500 people whom its doctors treated, of which 12 percent were women. So the statistic is derived from the experiences of 56 women and cannot necessarily be considered representative of all migrant women.

In the interviews, 31.4 percent of women said they were “s-xually abused” on the journey, not “s-xually assaulted” as Trump says. Considering only rape and other forms of direct s-xual violence, 10.7 percent of the women who were interviewed said they were affected during their journey.

So the point is that the statistic cannot be confirmed, because its based on a small and non-representative sample of women immigrating through Mexico.

Fox

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:10 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I find your attack on me ridiculous and deeply unkind, and you’ve known me a long time. You, Fox, hurt my feelings. Thanks for that. I didn’t come to this thread to chose sides, just explain about the suffragettes. A brave group of women who changed America. History and fought for women.

Gold Amother suggested that some women on this site equate women's voting with lynchings. You agreed with her. If anyone's feelings should be hurt, it's the many women on this site whom you maligned by agreeing with such an awful sentiment.

Fox

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
So the point is that the statistic cannot be confirmed, because its based on a small and non-representative sample of women immigrating through Mexico.

Correct, because whenever other methods are used, it appears that about 80 percent of women migrants are subject to s-xual abuse. Basically, Trump erred on the conservative side . . .

amother

Gold

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:14 pm
Fox wrote:
Gold Amother suggested that some women on this site equate women's voting with lynchings. You agreed with her. If anyone's feelings should be hurt, it's the many women on this site whom you maligned by agreeing with such an awful sentiment.

No. Actually Ruby Amother -- together with many Republicans -- conflated the white outfits worn as a tribute to sufragettes with KKK uniforms.

And what do YOU think that they were saying by that? That one shouldn't wear white before Memorial Day? It was an obvious attempt to conflate the two groups. And you know it.

vintagebknyc

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:21 pm
Fox wrote:

I believe she was being facetious, Fox, and I was talking about this one mention about suffrage. And I would NEVER do this to you.

amother

Lavender

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
No. Actually Ruby Amother -- together with many Republicans -- conflated the white outfits worn as a tribute to sufragettes with KKK uniforms.

And what do YOU think that they were saying by that? That one shouldn't wear white before Memorial Day? It was an obvious attempt to conflate the two groups. And you know it.

It's interesting all the black face pictures of democrats and liberal comedians coming out this week. But the KKK picture with the guy in blackface was the best. How about the offer to do the moonwalk?

amother

Brown

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:27 pm
fyi history:
Lincoln was a republican
the southerners and the slaveowners were democrats
the northerners were republicans

librarygirl

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:

You're assuming that no one believed that Kavanaugh tried to rape that woman. I believe that he did, and that there is no way he should be sitting on the Supreme Court.

And that is why thank g-d we live under the rule of law. It doesn't matter what you believe. There was not a shred of evidence that would hold up in a court of law.

Fox

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
The Democratic women wore white to honor suffragettes. I guess that women's rights are the same thing as lynching blacks. Banging head

This is what you said, Gold. And Vintage agreed with you.

No one is disputing why Democratic Congresswomen wore white. We are disputing whether it was a) smart; and b) in good taste.

To do so within a week after a Democratic governor has made the news by being pictured in blackface or KKK robes in 1984 doesn't make people think of Suffragettes, no matter what the intention. It simply reminds everyone of the Democratic Party's association with the KKK. No one is accusing them of being KKK members or even endorsing KKK ideals (though some obviously do) -- we're just saying that it was a rhetorically bad move.

I mean, I would presume that the Democrats would want avoid reminding everyone of the KKK and Planned Parenthood connections, but like I said, that's up to them.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
Democrats tried to work with Republicans for 8 years under Obama. All they got once "not an inch" from McConnell and others.

You're assuming that no one believed that Kavanaugh tried to rape that woman. I believe that he did, and that there is no way he should be sitting on the Supreme Court. That's not revenge politics. Indeed, if the Democrats had wanted to act like the Republicans (see Merrick Garland), then they would have done the same to Gorsuch. But they didn't.

Justin Fairfax -- a lieutenant governor (fast -- without googling, who is the lt. governor of New York?) is hardly as prominent as the Supreme Court. But in any case, in the past 6 hours:

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....562f79d592

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0.....irfax.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and.....allegation

https://slate.com/news-and-pol.....sault.html

Picking a few mainstream to left publications.

But its fascinating that you think that a Democrat should immediately step down based on allegations that a consensual encounter became non-consensual, but think that its an absolute travesty that Kavanaugh was questioned about an encounter. What in your mind differentiates them -- apart from the obvious that one involves a Republican, and the other an Democrat.

And yes, if the allegations are believable, he should resign.

I do not think he should step down at all. I believe in justice. If there is no evidence, he should not be punished in any way, not even via public opinion.

Fox

Post  Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:33 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I believe she was being facetious, Fox, and I was talking about this one mention about suffrage. And I would NEVER do this to you.

Then I apologize profusely. I do not believe Gold was being facetious, and it didn't occur to me that you would think so. I took your agreement as literal. Please forgive me.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 11 View latest: 24h 48h 72h