Home

Did you see the State Of The Union Speech?
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Gold


Post  Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
It's easy to alter student IDs. The kids do it all the time to buy alcohol.


Actually they all have fake licenses. AFAIK, their student IDs don't have DOB.

Trust me on this one.
Back to top

amother




Gold


Post  Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
It's pretty easy to get phony student IDs. There are no citizenship requirements to get student ID. Only government issued documents should suffice.

Where I vote, they don't ask for any ID to varify who you are. They have you sign. But you can see a copy of the signature.


The Heritage Foundation (very right wing) lists a total of 1,088 proven cases of voter fraud since about 2000. But let's say that each and every one was in the last presidential election. For fun. There were about 138 million votes cast. That would be .00079% of the vote.

The Brennan Center’s report on the issue found that most reported incidents of voter fraud are actually traceable to other sources, such as clerical errors or bad data matching practices. The report reviewed elections that had been meticulously studied for voter fraud, and found incident rates between 0.0003 percent and 0.0025 percent. Given this tiny incident rate for voter impersonation fraud, it is more likely, the report noted, that an American “will be struck by lightning than that he will impersonate another voter at the polls.”

There just doesn't seem to be enough of a problem to merit broad-ranging changes in voter registration or ID.

I'm more worried about the widespread failure in voting mechanisms in places like NYC, where polling places had no working scanners, and people were told to just leave their ballots, someone would scan them later. (No source -- anecdotal; some of my friends were told this.)
Back to top

amother




Amber


Post  Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:11 pm
Fox wrote:
The proof is that his actions don't match his rhetoric. And I look almost exclusively at his actions.

For example, he praises Putin in public settings when they are together. Yet he has repeatedly undermined Russian interests vis-a-vis Iran in Syria (see Thomas Wictor articles); has worked hard to dismantle Western Europe's over-reliance on Russian natural gas; and constantly attempts to exploit Putin's personal weaknesses, such as his homophobia.

Frankly, weaning Western Europe from dependence on Russian natural gas is the most important thing Trump can do to ensure that Russia doesn't become more dangerous in the world. Yet that seems to be widely ignored hereabouts.

This attempt to portray me as some kind of mindless booster is simplistic and inaccurate. I don't believe Trump is playing some kind of 8D chess game. I do think he is intuitively brilliant at identifying other people's weaknesses and exploiting those weaknesses.


Can you please link to a Thomas Wictor article? I couldn't find any
Back to top

aliavi




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
You're conflating two issues.

The first relates to ensuring that only citizens register to vote, which can easily be accomplished through SSN.

The second is ensuring that the correct person is voting. If I have a student ID that has my name and photo, its me. You can match it to the voter registration.


Voters can register at the polls. Each polling station doesn’t have direct access to the Social Security Administration that feeds back the name of the person that the SSN belongs to.

It’s the law that only citizens have the right to vote. We can change the law, but until we do we have the obligation to uphold it. So how can this be done?
Back to top

aliavi




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
The Heritage Foundation (very right wing) lists a total of 1,088 proven cases of voter fraud since about 2000. But let's say that each and every one was in the last presidential election. For fun. There were about 138 million votes cast. That would be .00079% of the vote.

The Brennan Center’s report on the issue found that most reported incidents of voter fraud are actually traceable to other sources, such as clerical errors or bad data matching practices. The report reviewed elections that had been meticulously studied for voter fraud, and found incident rates between 0.0003 percent and 0.0025 percent. Given this tiny incident rate for voter impersonation fraud, it is more likely, the report noted, that an American “will be struck by lightning than that he will impersonate another voter at the polls.”

There just doesn't seem to be enough of a problem to merit broad-ranging changes in voter registration or ID.

I'm more worried about the widespread failure in voting mechanisms in places like NYC, where polling places had no working scanners, and people were told to just leave their ballots, someone would scan them later. (No source -- anecdotal; some of my friends were told this.)


This hinges on the definition of voter fraud. The .org you mentioned doesn’t list non residents voting as “voter fraud”.
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 08 2019, 6:09 am
aliavi wrote:
This hinges on the definition of voter fraud. The .org you mentioned doesn’t list non residents voting as “voter fraud”.


If you are not a citizen and vote, you are never allowed to apply for citizenship. Believe me, no resident is voting illegally and giving up their chance of citizenship.
Back to top

imasoftov




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 08 2019, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
fyi history:
Lincoln was a republican
the southerners and the slaveowners were democrats
the northerners were republicans

Decades ago during an election campaign I heard some politician from the National Religious Party (as they were then called) in Israel give a talk about how only kings from David's line were permitted to sit in the courtyard of Beit Hamikdash. I was shyer then so I didn't raise my hand to say "they're not on the ballot this election".
Back to top

imasoftov




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 08 2019, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
There is one person in white at a wedding. Here you have a whole crowd dressed in white. It is a different kind of visual.

Sometimes in bridal magazines there's a photo of a group of models each wearing a wedding gown. Or the window of a bridal gown store may have many mannequins in white in the display window. Do those remind you of the Klan? A group of health professionals in white robes (without hoods)?
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 08 2019, 11:31 am
imasoftov wrote:
Sometimes in bridal magazines there's a photo of a group of models each wearing a wedding gown. Or the window of a bridal gown store may have many mannequins in white in the display window. Do those remind you of the Klan? A group of health professionals in white robes (without hoods)?


IF

a) brides or health care professionals normally wore non-coordinated clothing in a variety of colors

AND

b) an executive or the bridal magazine or hospital had spent the previous week in the news for having been photographed in KKK regalia

THEN

Yes
________________________

Actually, that's not quite true.

The folks suddenly wearing all-white in those circumstances wouldn't "remind me of the Klan."

It would remind me that the people wearing all-white outfits under such circumstances were so arrogant and self-satisfied that they didn't give a fig about the poor taste of their display under the circumstances.

And when the all-white costumed group subsequently refused ostentatiously to applaud the lowest unemployment figures for minorities in history, it would remind me that they and the party they represent have never given a fig about the well-being of those minorities.
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen


Post  Sat, Feb 09 2019, 7:48 pm
Fox wrote:
IF

a) brides or health care professionals normally wore non-coordinated clothing in a variety of colors

AND

b) an executive or the bridal magazine or hospital had spent the previous week in the news for having been photographed in KKK regalia

THEN

Yes
________________________

Actually, that's not quite true.

The folks suddenly wearing all-white in those circumstances wouldn't "remind me of the Klan."

It would remind me that the people wearing all-white outfits under such circumstances were so arrogant and self-satisfied that they didn't give a fig about the poor taste of their display under the circumstances.

And when the all-white costumed group subsequently refused ostentatiously to applaud the lowest unemployment figures for minorities in history, it would remind me that they and the party they represent have never given a fig about the well-being of those minorities.


Maybe when you're done being apoplectic about a group of congresswomen wearing white, you can find a second to show your disapproval of the president of the United States for tweeting a joke about Native American genocide.

Of course, the best defense of the president is that he's too utterly ignorant of history to have any idea of the connotation of the word TRAIL in connection with his favorite "Pocahontas" joke, and just randomly capitalized the word for some inscrutable reason. But then I'll apply your "should have known" standard.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Feb 09 2019, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe when you're done being apoplectic about a group of congresswomen wearing white, you can find a second to show your disapproval of the president of the United States for tweeting a joke about Native American genocide.

Of course, the best defense of the president is that he's too utterly ignorant of history to have any idea of the connotation of the word TRAIL in connection with his favorite "Pocahontas" joke, and just randomly capitalized the word for some inscrutable reason. But then I'll apply your "should have known" standard.

Not a fan of his tweet, but I think this is where you usually denounce "whataboutism," isn't it?
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen


Post  Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:06 pm
Fox wrote:
Not a fan of his tweet, but I think this is where you usually denounce "whataboutism," isn't it?


Whataboutism is excusing very bad behavior on your side by comparing it to much less severe bad behavior on the other side.

So, which is worse:

Tweeting a genocide joke

Wearing white to commemorate suffragettes.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 Recent Topics

Page 11 of 11 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Speech therapist Brooklyn who will accept RSA?
by amother
1 Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:09 am View last post
Top speech therapist who is an expert with articulation
by amother
11 Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:57 pm View last post
United health and speech therapy- Lakewood
by amother
17 Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:10 am View last post
Seeking recommendation for speech therapist
by amother
4 Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:52 pm View last post
Speech therapist in Israel
by amother
8 Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:20 pm View last post

Jump to: