Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wig wash and set how often?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:14 pm
How often do you do it? Is three weeks too frequent?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:21 pm
Depends on the wig and how often and long you wear it and how many others you have. Other variables is the quality of the wig hair and how oily or clean your hair is.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:24 pm
I have never done it that frequently. I think washing and setting it that often might not be good for the life of your sheitel.

I find it depends on the style of my sheitel, and how frequently I wear it. To me, a sheitel I wear daily starts to feel icky and messy after about 2-3 months.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:24 pm
General rule I tell my customers is 4-6 weeks for a weekday wig and 4 times a year for a shab wig with resets between. Obv this varies a lot from person to person. Some people wear their wigs 2 hours a day others 14 hours a day . Some alternate between 2 wigs for weekday so each one gets less wear and some have dry skin while some have oily and it transfers into the wig . If you want it set and aren't sure if it needs a wash ask your sheitel macher and see what she says . You can always style it without a wash.
In general washing a wig every 3 weeks isnt great and will prob make ur wig go on you prematurely

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:36 pm
Oily skin. I wear a wig till needs wash and then swap to the next freshly washed one. I don’t change wigs in between. I wear it like on average 4 days a week couple of hours. In the past I’ve been told they can’t reset it because it’s semi curled. But that also means that once that gets messy I kind of can’t wear it. If you comb it it gets frizzy if you leave it it’s a tangled mess (I do try to go through it with my fingers)

SuperWify

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
How often do you do it? Is three weeks too frequent?

Wow! Why are you washing it so often? It’s not good for the hair.

I wash my weekday wigs (I have 2) about every 8 weeks or more. Sometimes I’ll get a reset in between.

I brush them out every night because they inevitably get knotty in the winter with a special brush from the inside. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch
Then spray it so it won’t knot and put it in the head with the pins in right places.

Shabbos shaitels 3-4 times a year usually for Y”T or a simcha. Resets as needed.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:23 pm
You can just wash the front of it gets oily.

aliavi

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:28 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Wow! Why are you washing it so often? It’s not good for the hair.

I wash my weekday wigs (I have 2) about every 8 weeks or more. Sometimes I’ll get a reset in between.

I brush them out every night because they inevitably get knotty in the winter with a special brush from the inside. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch
Then spray it so it won’t knot and put it in the head with the pins in right places.

Shabbos shaitels 3-4 times a year usually for Y”T or a simcha. Resets as needed.

What do you spray it with?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
Oily skin. I wear a wig till needs wash and then swap to the next freshly washed one. I don’t change wigs in between. I wear it like on average 4 days a week couple of hours. In the past I’ve been told they can’t reset it because it’s semi curled. But that also means that once that gets messy I kind of can’t wear it. If you comb it it gets frizzy if you leave it it’s a tangled mess (I do try to go through it with my fingers)

So basically you wash it after 12 wears? Just because you can't brush it? There's no reason you can't reset a wig unless it's very oily.
And please brush your wig! Use a finger brush. Google it. Your wig shouldn't get frizzy. If it does, rub a little serum between your palms and run your hands through your wig to coat evenly.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:14 am
Wow, not good so often

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:23 am
Every few months...
Unless I have a Simcha coming up or got caught in the rain too many times

Definitely not every few weeks on a regular basis. Shaitels can last much longer.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:28 am
The company I bought my wig from told me to wash it every 2 weeks if I wear it everyday. Is she trying to get me to ruin this one so I'll buy another one from her?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:21 am
aliavi wrote:
What do you spray it with?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Its.....01890

Pricey but a spray a day lasts for a while. Spray the inside of the sheitel and brush starting at the bottom then work your way up.

Deenah

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:53 am
I wash my everyday wig every 4 tops 5 weeks. After 3 weeks it's usually pretty oily already but I try to push off washing it the longest possible... Shabbos wig usually every 3 months since I don't wear it very often.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics