Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Flying with a doona

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 1:41 pm
I am travelling In a few weeks with my 2 month old baby.
I am not buying a seat for them as I have seen on the airlines website that you can’t take a car seat for under 6 months old anyway and o also don’t want to spend the money on another seat!
However I really want to use my doona at my destination as opposed to my Big bassinet/stroller.
Is it safe to gate check my doona?
Do I have to worry it will get so bashed around that it will be dangerous to use?
Does anyone have any experience with this that can help me?

Please advise.
Thank you

SuperWify

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 1:56 pm
I’ve done it many times without a problem.

It is extremely convenient to have a car seat on the drive to the airport if you take a taxi... a stroller in the airport and as soon as you land and of course a car seat on your trip.

Ironically, the first time I checked in my big stroller after my DS outgrew his Doona it was given back to me bent out of shape...

So enjoy the easy doona stage while you can!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 1:58 pm
There's definitely a risk it will be damaged. Usually I'm lucky, but I've had strollers broken or arrive soaking wet. The airlines pretty much take no responsibility. Also, double check about no car seats below six months- I've never heard that and pretty sure they legally must allow it. But that would only be in the case that you buy a seat.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 2:44 pm
I had extra seats on my flight and they let me use it without buying a seat.

It’s amazing while traveling.

yksraya

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 3:37 pm
I've done it too. Was so convenient to travel with the doona.

batya315

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 3:53 pm
I agree. Don't know how I'd travel without one.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
I had extra seats on my flight and they let me use it without buying a seat.

It’s amazing while traveling.

How did that work? You knew before you got on the plane that they had an extra seat and were giving it to you?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
How did that work? You knew before you got on the plane that they had an extra seat and were giving it to you?

I think the stewardess took it to stow it on the plane and gave it back when there empty seats. We were in first class so that might have made a difference. The way back was a full flight so we didn’t get to use it.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:

Just ask at the gate. We have been able to bring it on many times ( never first class)

trixx

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:10 pm
Ask at gate if there's an extra seat, if there is they will give it to you. Show them faa sticker on Doona if they ask. BTW it doesn't wheel thru the aisle of most planes so you do have to lift it. If there is no extra seat, you can gage check it. Doona sells a bag for this purpose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics