Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How many hours does your baby sleep??

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 4:42 pm
My 6 months old baby used to be in bed from 7.30/8 for about 12 hours with lots of breaks in between- sometimes even for over an hour.

I am trying to sleep train her using the ferber method. He writes that a 6 months old doesn't need more than 9 hours of sleep a night. This would mean either pushing her bedtime later; which I'm not sure she'll manage or waking up really early.

I always thought that a baby can have 12 hour nights.
Any advice please??
Thanks

chaniej

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 5:10 pm
My babies always slept about 12 hours at that age.
I'm not so familiar with Ferber so nothing to add sorry!

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 7:21 pm
I'm not familiar with the Ferber method. However my 7 month old goes to sleep between 8:15 and 9:15 and wakes up at around 7:00/7:30 in the morning. She wakes up for one feeding around 1:00 am but falls right back asleep as soon as the feeding is over .
On occasion she'll go to sleep later and wake up around 8:00 instead but her normal bedtime is closer to 8:15.

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 7:37 pm
You have to take into account total sleep including naps, as well as how long they’re awake before bed. It’s not nighttime sleep in a vacuum. I don’t think you can make a blanket statement that babies only sleep for 9 hours a night because that’s obviously not true for everyone.

esther11

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:42 pm
My children all had approximately the same sleep schedule by 3-4 months old (I follow the 12 hours by 12 weeks method). Night sleep for 12 hours without any feedings and two 1-2 hour naps during the day.

tichellady

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 10:33 pm
11-12 hours a night, 2-4 hours during the day. Never ever heard a baby needs only 9 hours of sleep at night and I read a bunch of books on the subject

agreer

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:52 am
No way! Def. 12 hours a night from 6 Mos - 2.5 years old... And I did CIO, which totally worked bh.

Just do your sleep training using her regular bedtime and aim for 12 hrs

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:54 am
Didnt like ferber method. Also never do any extinction form of sleep training like cry it out until your pediatrician says your baby is healthy and growing. It can be a disaster for a sick child
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics