Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
From SAHM to working full-time

Rappel

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:09 pm
Up until now, I was a SAHM. I considered it the biggest blessing, for myself and my children, even though it was very hard for me emotionally/mentally to jump into that mode. I needed to stretch figurative muscles that I had never used before, and every day was full of wonder and discovery, for both me and my babies.

Now...

Our finances took a turn, and after an honest evaluation, I need to go work full time to make ends meet.

I'm devastated.

My baby is only one year old, and is a total momma's girl. She's almost learned to walk, and to say a just few words...

Before we got married, I asked DH to make our dynamic such that he would be the earner, and while I could work if I wanted, I didn't want our basic finances to dependent on me. With this sudden loss of income, and DH working full-time and in school part-time, I need to step up to the plate. I'm happy to do it, for us, but I'm still (Petty, I know) somewhat resentful. I can't share these feelings with DH - he's very sensitive regarding his ability to support the family, and saying this would only hurt him to no purpose.

I'm raising a beautiful organic vegetable patch. I build things that we need out of scraps. I'm the cook, laundress, nanny, gardener, seamstress, interior designer etc., Not to mention that I help take care of neighbors, run errands, manage office-type things, and that I'm there for everyone when they're in trouble.

Now I have to let all that go... For a salary!

I've looked the options of working from home, but the only viable one I see is babysitting, and there isn't a demand at this time of year. I already write from home, but that's pocket change, not a steady income.

Life is changing, and I'm sad to see it do so. Sad Words of comfort and wisdom would be appreciated.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:11 pm
If you would actually enjoy babysitting, reconsider whether it might be viable even mid year. People have babies all year long and they eventually have to go back to work and find childcare.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:21 pm
In happy times and sad times - Gam Zeh Yavor.

Sounds like you've been able to really appreciate the good times :-)

Transitions are hard.

(I've heard there is money in grant proposal writing - not sure how to get into that - but madam - you sure do write well).

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:39 pm
I 2nd the mother who wrote about babysitting. My friend does 5 newborns. Its 25/30$ an hour cash. She does long hours as she needs the money but you can do as you need...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
I 2nd the mother who wrote about babysitting. My friend does 5 newborns. Its 25/30$ an hour cash. She does long hours as she needs the money but you can do as you need...

Five newborns?!?! I hope she has an assistant, otherwise there are guaranteed to be newborns crying hysterically at any given moment. Those poor babies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics