Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you guess why this school only allowed 5% to take SATs?
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:25 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:43 pm
smileforamile wrote:
YOB won't give the girls a Regents diploma because they don't want them to go to college. Bais Yaakov and YOB cover up questions on the Living Environment Regents, so that the highest grade any girl can get is a 90- if they get everything else right. Yep, every girls' school is wonderful.

Weird reasoning. Regents are limited to NY so it's not even a requirement for admission to college. Definitely not for Touro or Brooklyn college. And regents show up on transcripts as pass/ fail so the actual score doesn't matter anyway. Do they really not know any of that?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
It's hard to dispel the false impression that girls schools are fabulous. There is nothing for some people to compare them to. DS went to a top boys school. And he received nowhere near the education I did in a top public school. You couldn't convince anyone his school is deficient unless they had a frame of reference.

Because they are lol. Look at the Regents scores compared to the scores of regular New York City Public Schools

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:48 pm
Asmile.. that is completely false. I went to Yob as did my siblings. We all received regents diplomas.
I scored in the high 90s on almost all of the Regents. Honestly they’re made for ps kids so are pretty dumbed down. My ncsy kids all barely passed.
Why in the world would you make up an obvious lie?
Posting anonymously for this one even though I almost never do.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
It's hard to dispel the false impression that girls schools are fabulous. There is nothing for some people to compare them to. DS went to a top boys school. And he received nowhere near the education I did in a top public school. You couldn't convince anyone his school is deficient unless they had a frame of reference.

There is no such thing as a top boys school in the yeshiva world and everyone knows this so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

And they do have a frame of reference - the girls schools - which are really very good.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:09 pm
I was allowed to take the SATS but my HS wouldn’t send the scores to my college of choice. (I had to have the scores sent myself) Nor would they write me a letter of recommendation. Still pains me to this day.

No, did they did not get any money from me during their most recent solicitation. Any success I have seen in my life has been despite, not because of them.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:16 pm
Mommyg8, why would you say that Darchei in Fr is the first one that comes to mind. Maybe you send your kids to awful schools, but there are decent choices for boys as well.
I taught public school children, they were dismally ill prepared for the regents. Anyone who could afford it, tries to get out of ps and move up to private school.
My mother taught in ps for most of her career as well, and then moved on to the by system. We both laugh when people say that ps education is superior.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
Mommyg8, why would you say that Darchei in Fr is the first one that comes to mind. Maybe you send your kids to awful schools, but there are decent choices for boys as well.
I taught public school children, they were dismally ill prepared for the regents. Anyone who could afford it, tries to get out of ps and move up to private school.
My mother taught in ps for most of her career as well, and then moved on to the by system. We both laugh when people say that ps education is superior.

Everyone knows this is true.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:40 pm
smileforamile wrote:
YOB won't give the girls a Regents diploma because they don't want them to go to college. Bais Yaakov and YOB cover up questions on the Living Environment Regents, so that the highest grade any girl can get is a 90- if they get everything else right. Yep, every girls' school is wonderful.

I went to YOB and got a Regents Diploma with Honors. They encourage everyone to take the Regents and actually give you a very hard time if you want to get out of it.
They do not cover up any questions on the Biology/ Living Environment Regents. There is just one topic that isn’t taught (male reproductive systems) but not that hard to figure it out yourself. I got a 98, and most of my friends got in the 90’s as well.
Posting anon because this is a revealing post.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:50 pm
Vermillion, I posted before,also a yob grad.
Same experience as you. I also had no problem getting my records when I applied to college. A”real” college and not an online program.
It amazes me the lies people will put out there just to knock the system.
Also, please don’t equate chassidish schools with the jpf schools. They’re night and day.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:58 pm
Why are you discussing regents when the article is talking about SATs?
Do BYHS, YOB, BYA, Masores, Prospect let or encourage all girls to take SATs?
(I do believe the author that schools look negatively at going to non Jewish colleges. Maybe not Prospect, but the rest)

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:00 pm
Hey amother Blush,
Wonder if we were in school together:)
I also wanted to add that YOB also encouraged us to take SAT’s, and they helped you out if you needed it. I took SAT’s in 12th grade, although I did not end up using my scores. The college I went to did not request and did not offer scholarships in regard to SAT scores. And yes, it was a “real college”.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
(I do believe the author that schools look negatively at going to non Jewish colleges. Maybe not Prospect, but the rest)

I went to one of those schools and they did some SAT prep in class. There was definitely the expectation that many of us would be taking it. This was about 15-20 years ago.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
I went to one of those schools and they did some SAT prep in class. There was definitely the expectation that many of us would be taking it. This was about 15-20 years ago.

My friends daughter went to Bnos Brocha. Chassidish, for those who don't know. Her daughters took the SAT and I don't remember there being the slightest problem for any of her daughter's classmates if they wanted to take it.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
because it provides an easy comparison between jewish schools and public schools in ny

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:

My school encouraged all of us to take the SATS. We were given a day off on that day. Just saying. I think my education was definitely equal or greater then many public schools. My school being put in the same category as a chassidish boys school is completely ridiculous.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:23 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Because they are lol. Look at the Regents scores compared to the scores of regular New York City Public Schools

You aren't comparing children of similar demographics. NYC public schools have to take everyone.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
You aren't comparing children of similar demographics. NYC public schools have to take everyone.

That's true. But it would be equally erroneous to compare the yeshivas to private schools that cost in the range of 3-4x as much in tuition, or to the elite public schools that accept only a tiny percentage of all applicants.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:31 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
There is no such thing as a top boys school in the yeshiva world and everyone knows this so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

And they do have a frame of reference - the girls schools - which are really very good.

There definitely are boys schools that are considered excellent.

The girls schools are not "really very good". Unfortunately, you don't realize they are not really very good because you haven't been exposed to excellent schools.

I paid a fortune to give my kids a mediocre education at best.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
That's true. But it would be equally erroneous to compare the yeshivas to private schools that cost in the range of 3-4x as much in tuition, or to the elite public schools that accept only a tiny percentage of all applicants.

I compare the schools to good public school districts, and they fall short.
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics