Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Which house would you choose to buy?
Previous  1  2

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:03 am
amother wrote:
Shared, as in long and narrow, park in driveway and work out arrangement with neighbor , such as different days of week, or both park and ask to move when need to leave ...

No, no, no
my in laws just sold their house that they lived in for 20 years which has a shared driveway... It was horrible. Avoid it at all costs

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:40 am
Thanks guys! For those that live in semiattached homes, how much does it affect your life ?

Also, how much more money is a private driveway worth in Brooklyn, all other things being similar (aside for the detached)?
It's a driveway that can fit 3 cars plus another can block.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
Shared, as in long and narrow, park in driveway and work out arrangement with neighbor , such as different days of week, or both park and ask to move when need to leave ...

In this case, I'd go with the semi-attached

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:13 pm
amother wrote:
Fully detached with shared driveway
Or
Semiattached with private driveway

All other things comparable, such as size, condition, neighborhood.

It depends on what your priorities/needs are. If parking on the street is difficult, then a driveway is a must, and in any case, many people have had unpleasant experiences with shared driveways...

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:

That’s problematic!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
Fully detached with shared driveway
Or
Semiattached with private driveway

All other things comparable, such as size, condition, neighborhood.

I live in Brooklyn. Definitely the private driveway. Are you from Brooklyn - I am wondering why this is even a question, unless a detached house would allow you to expand, I cannot see any reason to choose it over a private driveway. Quality of life will be much more impacted by a private driveway than a detached house.

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 3:11 am
private driveway any day.

mig100

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:35 am
amother wrote:

Also, how much more money is a private driveway worth in Brooklyn, all other things being similar (aside for the detached)?
It's a driveway that can fit 3 cars plus another can block.

It's hard to put a dollar amount. Let's just say A LOT.

Honestly without a private driveway is say it's barely worth the hassle of owning a car. Depending how much u need one.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:35 am
mig100 wrote:
It's hard to put a dollar amount. Let's just say A LOT.

Honestly without a private driveway is say it's barely worth the hassle of owning a car. Depending how much u need one.

Any real estate people on here?
Does 100-120 k more for private parking (actual 3 car driveway, not a carport) make sense?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:36 am
amother wrote:
Does 100-120 k more for private parking (actual 3 car driveway, not a carport) make sense?

depends on the location and condition of house, but yes approx that.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:35 am
I'm no real estate person. I probably would have said more like 75k, but honestly, it would be worth more to me if I could afford it in any way. If I owned a car and used it regularly, I would not buy a house I planned to live in with a shared driveway.

mig100

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:57 am
amother wrote:

not a real estate person here. though id say if you are comparing price- your calculation only makes sense if the houses are identical in evertyhing- size, bedrooms, condition, location. which I doubt they are.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:16 am
My first thought was private house, but that's if you're in Monsey. If you're in Brooklyn then definitely private driveway. The driveway effects so much of your quality of life in the city, even a private house can't match that. g'luck

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:24 am
The alternative in bklyn is either driving around 1/2 hour every time you need to park or paying for a parking spot at least $200 a month

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:27 am
If the shared driveway has space for one car & you both have a car....it will always be a fight who catches the spot first

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:53 am
I would take detached. Because I hate hearing my neighbours and I don't want them hearing us.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:00 pm
I shared for years, there was enough for both neighbors, but we always had to work out who goes in first depending on what time we'd be out at night or first out in the morning.
Although, I was so happy to have a spot after years of circling or taking cabs as it wasn't worth looking for parking, it became a big issue when neighbors kids started driving.
I now have my own driveway and it's truly liberating!!
No price on this!
If you can afford it, in my book definitely beats detached.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:54 pm
A driveway in brooklyn is worth $100-$125K currently. Totally worth it.

isrmss91

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:24 pm
Go with detached and the private driveway. I live in a fully attached house. I barely hear my neighbors.
Take the private driveway. Sharing is hard. Even if you may have a good relationship with the neighbor, they may move and you may end up with someone horrible. Or lets say you have a family member who wants to park in the driveway, and the neighbor does as well. it can get very complicated. I knew someone who had a shared driveway and they had an arguement over it, it was not a good situation. And you don't have to get up in case you need to move your car for the neighbor. A private driveway in Brooklyn, is a dream & a most. It definetly adds value to your home.

Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:30 pm
Anyone who didn't answer "private driveway" doesn't live in Brooklyn.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics