Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Anyone else fasting today?
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:24 am
Something about the snow and having the kids home is making it difficult.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:25 am
Why fasting?

pause

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:27 am
Huh?

clowny

What am I missing? What fast day is today?

amother
Green

amother wrote:
Why fasting?

Zayin Adar. Traditionally members of the chevra kadisha fast today.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:31 am
For those wondering: https://www.ou.org/holidays/mo.....adar/

Ridethewaves

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:20 pm
Oh. Was it Adar aleph or Bais?

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:25 pm
Ridethewaves wrote:

Its beis. Check the link I posted. (Edited to remove the emoji that I must have fat-thumbed)

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:26 pm
Ridethewaves wrote:

I asked my husband about that last night. I thought we commemorate/celebrate everything in adar b.....my birthday is ו אדר, and when he said last night is ז I thought for a minute that I missed it. He said he didn’t know why, but ז אדר is commemorated in אדר א.

Ridethewaves

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:27 pm
My birthday is in aleph so I’m super conscious Wink

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:41 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I asked my husband about that last night. I thought we commemorate/celebrate everything in adar b.....my birthday is ו אדר, and when he said last night is ז I thought for a minute that I missed it. He said he didn’t know why, but ז אדר is commemorated in אדר א.

Honestly, the head of our chevra sends out an invitation with the date for fasting and for mincha with selichot. Never really questioned whether אדר א or אדר ב.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:57 pm
Are you part of the chèvra kadisha?

This is very interesting. In my family, ladies fast on all the fast days but I never heard of this.

Are all members required to fast?

MommyM

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:00 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

I once heard that birthdays are celebrated in אדר ב, but yohrtzeits are commemorated in אדר א.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:

This is very interesting. In my family, ladies fast on all the fast days but I never heard of this.

All the members of ours fast (men and women chevras). It's to do teshuva for any upset we may have caused to the מתים. People take it pretty seriously

mommyhood

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

It’s a minhag for members of the chevra Kedisah it’s definitely not required. For my family members the men involved fast but the women do not.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:27 pm
In my city we do the chevra kadisha fast on 17 (I think) kislev. Don't know why its a different day. All the chevra members fast (men and women who are able to) and there are shiurim throughout the day and a catered dinner in the evening.

mo5

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
In my city we do the chevra kadisha fast on 17 (I think) kislev. Don't know why its a different day. All the chevra members fast (men and women who are able to) and there are shiurim throughout the day and a catered dinner in the evening.

Because it was considered to be the shortest day of the year. (Though that’s really dec 22)
Some places, people fast til aftern mincha if they can’t a whole day

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:32 pm
MommyM wrote:
I once heard that birthdays are celebrated in אדר ב, but yohrtzeits are commemorated in אדר א.

I read it was because Moshe was actually born and died in a leap year, in Adar Aleph.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 6:41 am
We do the opposite, adar two

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 6:49 am
MommyM wrote:

Ya, I also read that and its because adar 2 is the real adar. That's why there are no bar mitzvas this month. The reason a yartzet is observed in Adar I (for those who died in a year with only one Adar) is because a child honors a parent on a yartzet so u want to do it at the first available opportunity, and I guess from there the custom spread to always observing yartzeit in Adar I. However Sefardim do Adar 2
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days