Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
High school rejection

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:24 am
My daughter was rejected to the schools we applied to. (Brooklyn BY type schools) We aren’t being told why. We are silently panicking. Anyone been thru this? Any advice? Yes, we are in touch with Suri Rubin! Iyh she will help. But what if not??

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
My daughter was rejected to the schools we applied to. (Brooklyn BY type schools) We aren’t being told why. We are silently panicking. Anyone been thru this? Any advice? Yes, we are in touch with Suri Rubin! Iyh she will help. But what if not??

How many schools? Is it just that she applied to a couple that have no room or is something more going on? Does her elementary school have a high school?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:04 pm
I’ve been through rejections with 2 of my daughters.
Iyh your daughter will get into a high school.
How does your daughter perform academically?
From my experience, it seems that HS’s reject the students who do not perform well on the entrance exams. The Brooklyn HS’s compete for a reputation as the school with the highest academic levels.
You should speak to your daughter’s elementary principal. She should be able to guide and assist you with getting your daughter into a HS.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:00 pm
We applied to 2 high schools. We are in touch with her school principal. She is trying to help.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
I’ve been through rejections with 2 of my daughters.
Iyh your daughter will get into a high school.
How does your daughter perform academically?
From my experience, it seems that HS’s reject the students who do not perform well on the entrance exams. The Brooklyn HS’s compete for a reputation as the school with the highest academic levels.
You should speak to your daughter’s elementary principal. She should be able to guide and assist you with getting your daughter into a HS.

How long did it take for you to hear answers from schools? My daughter asks me everyday if we got a letter or phone call. I feel so terrible for her.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
We applied to 2 high schools. We are in touch with her school principal. She is trying to help.

Make a list of other schools that you could tolerate, and ask if you can submit an application. Yes, they will know that your daughter was rejected elsewhere, but if they have room, they may consider her.

Contact your rabbi, or rebbetzin, if that's the right person in your community, to help you with schools. Different community, but I know people whose kids got into schools that way.

Best of luck.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
How long did it take for you to hear answers from schools? My daughter asks me everyday if we got a letter or phone call. I feel so terrible for her.

The second time around I knew to expect rejection letters when the other girls had already received acceptance letters and we had not received any letter yet.
The schools usually mail out the rejection letters after the acceptance letters.

ETA: if you haven’t heard from the schools by now, call them up to inquire as to the status of your application.

gingleale

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:39 pm
The letters are coming out today from the school that follow the Board of Jewish Education aka Jewish Ed project guidelines. All the schools in my area are sending out emails after 6 PM.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:44 pm
If it makes you feel any better I was rejected from my top 3 schools and only accepted to my safety school. Things worked out and I made good friends.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:54 pm
Applying to 2 schools isn't much, especially if they are school famous for being hard to get into...
Does your elementary school have a HS, so that there's at least something to fall back on?
In my experience, schools almost expect certain number of girls to use a pull, after getting rejection letters.
Is Mrs. Rubin from Torah uMesorah? Hopefully, the elementary principal and she will help.
Good luck!

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:

If you applied to 2 schools with no pull or siblings in either one then unfortunately you’re in good company. It just means they took siblings etc. first, not that there’s anything wrong with your daughter chas v’shalom. IyH with the principal’s help she’ll soon have a place. It’s a tough time but hopefully it will be a short one.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:18 pm
Thanks so much for all the replies! One of the schools was Bais Yaakov high school. And the school she is in does not have a high school. I keep saying tehillim that we will hear something soon.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:38 pm
OP, you already got a rejection letter from BYHS?? When? We applied there, too, and haven't gotten any letter yet. Uh-oh...
If you are in BYBP now, I'm sure that Mrs. Gartner will work on it

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:42 pm
And Kenz is right. After siblings, ppl with protektzia, and A+ students, there are often almost no spots left.
That is ABSOLUTELY not a reflection on your daughter! Please keep on telling that to her.

mema613

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 6:01 pm
Btdt 20 years ago! One daughter didn't get into any HS I applied to. Reasons were a low reading score on enterance exam though she performed well in school and had a great average. Another school rejected bec my other daughter wears pants. I decided to apply to the coed neighborhood school and she had a terrific experience! She was not spied on outside of school and had Hebrew teachers who took a personal interest in her by inviting her and her friends for Shabbos. Another daughter was rejected by a school because of her honesty. She was asked if she likes boys and said " of course I do, I am a normal teenager!" I told the principle that at least 90 percent of her students like boys but they are smart enough to lie! I also sent this daughter to the coed neighborhood school and she was very happy there. BH they are adults now and this is in the past.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for all the replies! One of the schools was Bais Yaakov high school. And the school she is in does not have a high school. I keep saying tehillim that we will hear something soon.

I was told BYHS rejects students who score poorly on the entrance exams.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children