Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O What field do you work in/major in.
1  2  Next

What field do you work in/major in (best fit)
psychology, sociology, social work etc. or speech, OT, PT, etc.  
 26%  [ 39 ]
biology to work in medicine (MD, MD PhD, etc.) including dentists  
 4%  [ 7 ]
biology, ecology, hydrogeology or other biological science or chemistry, physics, biochemistry, astronomy, or other science major or computer science, data, programming, etc.  
 7%  [ 11 ]
nursing, teaching, special education, Jewish studies, etc.  
 26%  [ 39 ]
accounting, actuarial science, mathematics  
 10%  [ 16 ]
linguistics or a foreign language (Spanish, Greek, etc.), philosophy (not for law), anthropology, political science, or other humanity major  
 1%  [ 2 ]
engineering (aerospace, civil, mechanical, biological, etc.)  
 1%  [ 2 ]
agriculture, environmental resources, planning, architecture, etc.  
 2%  [ 3 ]
film, acting, dancing, sculpture, or other art  
 2%  [ 3 ]
business, economics, hotel service, real estate, etc. or marketing, nutrition, journalism, media, etc.  
 6%  [ 9 ]
law  
 4%  [ 6 ]
something entirely different that deserves its own category  
 7%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 148

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:43 pm
This is a spin off. I'm wondering what amother majored in and/or work in. Sometimes you can major in economics but become a therapist or doctor, so if you major is different than your field of work I'd say select the one that fits your field of work. If you're a stay at home mother with a major, just select your major. Thanks, imas. I had to edit this multiple times because it said I entered too many options, so I tried as best as I could to keep these reasonable.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:54 pm
I majored in history then went on to get my MSW.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:21 pm
I chose nursing, I’m an NP. I’m not sure why it’s grouped with teaching etc. I would’ve chosen the biology for medicine option until I saw the specific nursing option.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
I chose nursing, I’m an NP. I’m not sure why it’s grouped with teaching etc. I would’ve chosen the biology for medicine option until I saw the specific nursing option.

I think an NP should definitely be under biology for medicine. I selected mine, but there is no way I'd say what it is on a public forum. Whoever is very interested can PM me lol.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:45 pm
I didn't major because it's not on my country but I learned English and definitely use it

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:50 pm
I major in being a SAHM!

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:57 pm
I don't really understand the category groupings but OK.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:26 pm
I became a SLP against my will. I am dyyyyyyying to be an OBGYN. Luckily, I have the personality that I would love my job regardless of what it is. And I really do enjoy my job and going to work!
Ladies- be supportive and dont force your daughters to go into any field, or to not go into any field.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:45 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't really understand the category groupings but OK.

Sorry, it did not allow me to have many options so I had to combine many.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry, it did not allow me to have many options so I had to combine many.

You combined some odd things. What is your major?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
You combined some odd things. What is your major?

Please explain which are odd and I'll explain the rationale. I had first had over 30 options.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:48 pm
I am an interior designer. Assuming that’s under the Arts category.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:34 pm
I majored in computer science and have been working in my field for 20 years.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
Please explain which are odd and I'll explain the rationale. I had first had over 30 options.

I’m curious what you do/what you majored in based on your categories.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:47 pm
I majored in special education (earned my master's) and currently work as a content writer. My background in education comes in handy sometimes, but I generally regard it as an enormous waste of time and money. Should've just stuck with my talent from the very beginning.

I don't see a poll option for me.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
I’m curious what you do/what you majored in based on your categories.

PhD in a physical science.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:

Nurses belong in the medical field, not education

I have a BA and am a teacher

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Nurses belong in the medical field, not education

I have a BA and am a teacher

I wanted nurses to be separate because it is a "typical frum job" as per the opinions in the thread that encouraged this poll. NPs and PA should be under the same category as biology for medicine, since they are less common choices. The poll did not allow many options, so I grouped nurses together with teachers, as those are two fields in which women have worked for several years and have been "gender typed," which is also discussed in the other thread. This poll is not to identify what people specifically do, but rather how many frum women are really working in "typical frum jobs" for females, "gender typical" jobs and/or "once upon a time gender typical" professions.

The results of the poll clearly illustrate the sentiments in the other thread: frum females tend to work in the same categories of professions, which happen to be the same jobs that were considered great for females for many years and which may be most appropriate for working mothers. It also shows a lack of diversity in the frum female workforce, which may be due to a lack of knowledge about other possible professions and/or because these jobs are the most appropriate for mothers of young children, etc.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 2:26 pm
I majored in psychology and now I'm a book editor.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 2:42 pm
Ok wow I'm a nurse. The only one of my graduating class. It is NOT a good job for raising children. The hours are grueling. I view my going to school and getting a degree ( uncommon in my community and rate in my family) as a big accomplishment of time money and lots of effort. Teaching is nothing of the sort. In our communities you become a teacher with zero schooling and most likey work part time. Not close to the amount of sacrifice a professional job takes.

Now the real reason frum women go into nursing is because it is a relatively cheap degree ( you can have an associates to get licensed) there is lots of potential, job security, and it's starting salary is one of the best for the amount of schooling and money it costs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics