Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DOH going to far-mandatory flu vaccines in preschool
1  2  3  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:03 pm
They are not working properly. I have personally heard of many children who got the flu with the vaccine. My doctor did not even recommend it. Now the school doesnt let my preschooler come to school. It's mid February. The season is almost over. I do not want to put my child at risk of injury for one month of 10% chance of helping. Where is common sense? This is not democratic at all.

BTW I give my kids all vaccines on schedule. I do a cost/benefit analysis. It's worth the tiny percent of injury to protect a child from a bad disease for life . but for one month? I cant get myself to do it. But I have no choice. Being home is not healthy for a kid either. Sorry DOH you have taken this too far.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:16 pm
Whoever did get the flu with the shot got a much milder form. My kids had to take it before January already. I am not very pro flu vaccine either but it wasn’t worth the fight.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:57 pm
Here in lies the proof that the DOH policies regarding vaccines and health are not necessarily intended to keep you healthy.
The flu vaccine has been proven by the CDC to be only 30-50% effective yet is being forced onto all NYC preschoolers.
I would say that flu vaccines are the third greatest fraud in US history.
It is the flu vaccine that made me into an exvaxxer.

And I’m sorry for bursting your bubble but you no longer have individual rights in our Country.

happymom123

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:04 pm
My doctor and my children's pediatrician only recommend the flu shot for people who are elderly, pregnant, or have a newborn in the house. Otherwise, they say it's not effective enough to require everyone to have it. Of course if you want then they'll give it but they definitely put the flu shot in a different category than other vaccines

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:07 pm
Where in ny?
Neither my 5 yo nor my 3 yo were required to take it.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:12 pm
Children who get the flu shot and then the flu rarely get complications from the flu that causes death.
In that case it works excellent and is worth it for me even a child gets the flu.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:16 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Where in ny?
Neither my 5 yo nor my 3 yo were required to take it.

Nyc

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:22 pm
My children’s preschool required it. It’s really not a big deal.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:25 pm
This has been in effect for years and it's not such a big deal.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This has been in effect for years and it's not such a big deal.

This is the first year it’s mandatory. I never had to give flu shots before.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
They are not working properly. I have personally heard of many children who got the flu with the vaccine. My doctor did not even recommend it. Now the school doesnt let my preschooler come to school. It's mid February. The season is almost over. I do not want to put my child at risk of injury for one month of 10% chance of helping. Where is common sense? This is not democratic at all.

BTW I give my kids all vaccines on schedule. I do a cost/benefit analysis. It's worth the tiny percent of injury to protect a child from a bad disease for life . but for one month? I cant get myself to do it. But I have no choice. Being home is not healthy for a kid either. Sorry DOH you have taken this too far.

I feel bad for you that you are in this situation but you do have a choice! And if you really feel strongly about this a preschooler can be home without it being unhealthy- unless your home isn't a healthy environment.

It might be hard for you but your child will be perfectly fine.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:29 pm
flowerpower wrote:
This is the first year it’s mandatory. I never had to give flu shots before.

I've always sent to licensed day cares and preschool and it's been mandatory for quite a few years that I can remember. Could be the schools were receiving certain funds for certain programs that made it mandatory. One thing is for sure - it's been mandatory for universal pre-k.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:30 pm
I think it's only children in Headstart that have to be given a flu shot. If you take their money, you have to listen to their rules.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
I think it's only children in Headstart that have to be given a flu shot. If you take their money, you have to listen to their rules.

I've never had a child in head start or day care class but the school and play group made it mandatory throughout for preschool.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:

False. It’s everyone. My son is in the nursery of a regular yeshiva and I needed to give it to him.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
And I’m sorry for bursting your bubble but you no longer have individual rights in our Country.

An American who dares to say this should at least go observe the individual rights in countries like North Korea, Lybia China and even Russia.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 3:44 pm
The flu has killed several kids this season and they had been healthy prior to the flu. It seems to be that none were vaccinated so it's still probably worthwhile.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The flu has killed several kids this season and they had been healthy prior to the flu. It seems to be that none were vaccinated so it's still probably worthwhile.

Every child's death is terribly sad. While most children who die of flu are not vaccinated that year for it, there are always a number of children who did receive the vaccine that year and die from flu anyway.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:

You have a choice. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing vaccines on your child. You may choose to keep your child at home or you may choose to risk that injury you're referring to. Your cost/benefit analysis has obviously been preschool over non-vax. It is your opinion that a preschooler staying home is more unhealthy than a flu shot is. That is your choice and you came to that decision on your own.

Just btw I've gotten the flu in the summer and it's awful. Flu is not only a risk in the heavy winter.

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I've always sent to licensed day cares and preschool and it's been mandatory for quite a few years that I can remember. Could be the schools were receiving certain funds for certain programs that made it mandatory. One thing is for sure - it's been mandatory for universal pre-k.

It was a few years ago.
Then the city was sued and lost the day after I gave the shot Twisted Evil
And then the law went into effect this year again.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics