Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DOH going to far-mandatory flu vaccines in preschool
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:15 pm
cnc wrote:
It was a few years ago.
Then the city was sued and lost the day after I gave the shot Twisted Evil
And then the law went into effect this year again.

Wow. Glad I missed the drama.

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You have a choice. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing vaccines on your child. You may choose to keep your child at home or you may choose to risk that injury you're referring to. Your cost/benefit analysis has obviously been preschool over non-vax. It is your opinion that a preschooler staying home is more unhealthy than a flu shot is. That is your choice and you came to that decision on your own.

Just btw I've gotten the flu in the summer and it's awful. Flu is not only a risk in the heavy winter.

THIS.

My child had the flu this year even though he got the shot and it was a very very mild case BH.
It would have probably been much worse if he wasn't vaccinated.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:17 pm
All the germs die when it’s VERY cold.

Flu is the biggest risk during mild weather.

bsy

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
They are not working properly. I have personally heard of many children who got the flu with the vaccine. My doctor did not even recommend it. Now the school doesnt let my preschooler come to school. It's mid February. The season is almost over. I do not want to put my child at risk of injury for one month of 10% chance of helping. Where is common sense? This is not democratic at all.

BTW I give my kids all vaccines on schedule. I do a cost/benefit analysis. It's worth the tiny percent of injury to protect a child from a bad disease for life . but for one month? I cant get myself to do it. But I have no choice. Being home is not healthy for a kid either. Sorry DOH you have taken this too far.

Flu season actually goes until may in new york. It's just starting.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Every child's death is terribly sad. While most children who die of flu are not vaccinated that year for it, there are always a number of children who did receive the vaccine that year and die from flu anyway.

Last year about 25% of the pediatric flu deaths were in vaccinated children but the regrets were expressed by the parents who had not had their kids vaccinated.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Last year about 25% of the pediatric flu deaths were in vaccinated children but the regrets were expressed by the parents who had not had their kids vaccinated.

The 25% of vaccinated children who died as a result of the flu or its complication also reflect children who were likely ill with other conditions, since those children are the most at risk for flu related complications and death and whose doctors are most likely to recommend flu vaccination (think high steroids, low immune systems, organ recipients, etc.). The number of healthy children who were vaccinated against the flu and died of a flu complication is definitely significantly lower; however, I have not looked up the statistics so I cannot comment on them (could be less than 1% a year or something). That being said, it is still highly unlikely your child will die from the flu ch'v and IYH all of klal Yisroel should not even get the flu, but if your child does get the flu and was vaccinated, it will be much milder than if s/he had not been vaccinated.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
Every child's death is terribly sad. While most children who die of flu are not vaccinated that year for it, there are always a number of children who did receive the vaccine that year and die from flu anyway.

Much less common.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:22 pm
southernbubby wrote:

I'm not arguing about giving or not giving the flu shot. I'm responding to your post, in which you wrote that it seems none of the children who died this year were vaccinated. That's not accurate. That's all.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:16 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies I like to look at all angles before making my decision. I really dont want him home. He loves school and I think its borderline abusive denying a kid that experience because of my beliefs.

For those saying that the shot makes the flu milder. My unvaccinated child had a very mild case (2 days out of school) last year. So I don't know that it is true that the shot makes the cases milder. Also I hate taking him to the doctor-they always pick up sicknesses there.

How long is the flu vaccine supposibly effective?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies I like to look at all angles before making my decision. I really dont want him home. He loves school and I think its borderline abusive denying a kid that experience because of my beliefs.

For those saying that the shot makes the flu milder. My unvaccinated child had a very mild case (2 days out of school) last year. So I don't know that it is true that the shot makes the cases milder. Also I hate taking him to the doctor-they always pick up sicknesses there.

No one saying the vaccine is the only way someone can get a mild case of the flu. The vaccine is effective for the current flu season.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:25 pm
I have known a kid (and heard of a second) who needed a liver transplant after getting the flu. Normal, regular kids with no history of medical complications. Got the flu and it destroyed their liver. Seriously. It is dangerous and they wished they got the vaccine. BH the one I know got a transplant...As supposedly it would have been less severe of a flu which may have saved the poor kid from months in the hospital and taking anti rejection meds for life.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:

Flu B is generally milder than A. Do you know which he had? My neighbor's daughter had Flu B earlier this year and did not miss school at all. She got Flu A a few weeks later and missed 3 weeks of school and ended up with an pneumonia. BH she is fine now, but you could not compare the two. She said that although that daughter was the sickest, that all of her kids were much sicker the second time around than the first and everyone in the house was sick both times except for her youngest and husband, who both received the vaccine.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not arguing about giving or not giving the flu shot. I'm responding to your post, in which you wrote that it seems none of the children who died this year were vaccinated. That's not accurate. That's all.

Luckily this year there were far fewer deaths but every news report that I saw said that the victims were not vaccinated. Last year there were many more deaths and some were vaccinated.

HealthCoach

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 12:15 am
I didn’t give and ignored notes home, but that was the first year it was mandatory. Not sure if it’s more organized now. She was my youngest child.

caza

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 1:04 pm
England don't give the flu vaccine only to people at risk of complications, I think that makes sense. One of kids had to have it every winter due to a medical condition but otherwise no one gets it unless pregnant, medical conditions, 60+. Now they are offering it for 2-4 year olds just to help protect older people.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 1:10 pm
I read somewhere that if more people got flu shots, it would provide some herd immunity but only 50% get it. I also read that it could prevent heart attacks in people with heart disease.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:46 pm
CDC knows that its not as rosy as they make it sound but DOH is still pushing it for everyone. And now forcing it for preschoolers.
Consider this that I copied and pasted from cdc website where they contradict themselves.

A Potential Safety Signal Associated with Flu Vaccination of Pregnant Women

A CDC-funded study found that women vaccinated early in pregnancy with a flu vaccine containing the pandemic H1N1 (H1N1pdm09) component and who also had been vaccinated the prior season with a H1N1pdm09-containing flu vaccine had an increased risk of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) in the 28 days after vaccination. While most miscarriages occurred in the first trimester, several occurred during the second trimester. The median gestational age at the time of miscarriage was 7 weeks.

And they continue that no evidence was found that the shot was the reason. I mean like seriously. Is this not evidence enough?
So they continue to still recommend it to everyone

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/profes......html

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:49 pm
Presumably, none of the preschool children are pregnant.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:

It is true lavender, there is research backing up the claim that the vaccine makes the flu milder if they still get it. Kids die from the flu every year.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
CDC knows that its not as rosy as they make it sound but DOH is still pushing it for everyone. And now forcing it for preschoolers.
Consider this that I copied and pasted from cdc website where they contradict themselves.

A Potential Safety Signal Associated with Flu Vaccination of Pregnant Women

A CDC-funded study found that women vaccinated early in pregnancy with a flu vaccine containing the pandemic H1N1 (H1N1pdm09) component and who also had been vaccinated the prior season with a H1N1pdm09-containing flu vaccine had an increased risk of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) in the 28 days after vaccination. While most miscarriages occurred in the first trimester, several occurred during the second trimester. The median gestational age at the time of miscarriage was 7 weeks.

And they continue that no evidence was found that the shot was the reason. I mean like seriously. Is this not evidence enough?
So they continue to still recommend it to everyone

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/profes......html

Honey that’s not the flu shot we’re taking about.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics