Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Dd weight gain in seminary

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:04 pm
Just saw dd in some pictures- she is beautiful- but she is looking much much heavier. I know this happens a lot to girls while in sem. and I certainly do not want to ruin her body image, but obesity runs in the family, so it is a concern.
The school only gives them lunches so her meals are up to her- any advice. I know one concern she has is buying fruits and vegetables and knowing all the halachot of trumah. I told her she needs to ask her eim bayis or madricha to just go shopping together so she can get a handle on all of it.
Any other ideas? The exercise room in the school is tiny and is always full.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:09 pm
It’s not many years since I’ve been in sem myself and I say leave her be. She sees herself in the mirror and she knows how her clothes fit. It’s easy to gain weight and sem and not that hard to loose it afterwards. When she gets home and starts living, eating and sleeping normally again she won’t have a hard time getting back to her pre sem weight.

avital613

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:19 pm
as far as shopping for fruits and vegetables goes many stores (supermarkets, vendors in the shuk, produce shoppes ect.) have teudot kashrut which generally state that all produce sold in the store have had turmah/maaser taken.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:27 pm
She’s an adult. It’s time to leave her be. I know you care about her but I can’t see how you can help her without hurting her. If she brings it up with you then you can help her come up with solutions.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:30 pm
Leave her alone. She knows what she needs to do and will do it if and when she’s ready, not before. Your comments and advice, be they ever so gentle, loving, and born of concern, will only breed resentment and hurt.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:33 pm
I was pretty thin but I gained a ridiculous amount of weight in seminary. No one said a word luckily, because that would have devastated me. I lost it all the summer after I got home. Just figured out how to stick to a healthy diet and got into exercising. I want to reiterate that if anyone had offered their concern or help it probably would have backfired. I think you're best off keeping quiet and allowing her to figure out when and how to get healthier.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:36 pm
Ok.
Will stay quiet..thanks everyone!

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:42 pm
If you're worried about obesity running in the family, it likely would have shown up before if it's built into her genes.

I gained a lot in seminary (had to buy new clothes!) and it all came off right when I got home. This was despite trying to eat very healthfully. I also got more exercise then than any other time in my life; I walked everywhere and often! I don't know what it was about either the small proportion of seminary food I ate or something about being in Israel, but it seems I automatically gained weight while there and dropped it almost as quickly.

Of course it might not happen to everyone that way, just trying to encourage you not to get too panicked. But definitely do make sure she knows that most stores have a hechsher on their fruits and vegetables. If the seminary doesn't provide all meals (and even if they do) then they should have educated the students on how and where to shop.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:46 pm
I personally think that my seminary weight gain was caused by a combination of bad eating habits, stress, and utter lack of sleep.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:59 pm
Gained like 20 pds in seminary, lost it all that summer. Everyone was the same. She is enjoying herself. Let it be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise