Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Hatzala course for women

zebra111

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:25 am
Anyone done the chovshot course?
Can you tell me a little about it, finding it a little difficult to find answers on their site..

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 10:21 am
No idea

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:09 pm
Yes, I was part of their 2nd ever women's chovshot course and am now a licensed EMT and first aid instructor. What would you like to know?

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I was part of their 2nd ever women's chovshot course and am now a licensed EMT and first aid instructor. What would you like to know?

Fascinating. What do you do with it?
Anything more interesting than going on trips as a choveshet, or teaching first aid to 15 year olds?

zebra111

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:

Oh wow thats really great!!!
How long was the course for? Was it once a week? Once u finished did u have a certain amount of times u had to volunteer? Did u pay to take the course?
I have little kids at home and dh isnt home very often so im wondering if id even be able to ever answer a callout, but this is something I really want to do..
U can pm me if easier

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:31 am
I'll answer publicly in case this helps anyone else.

1. The course I did was once a week, a full day for about 6 months. Sometimes they do twice a week in the evenings (4 hrs at a time) instead of once a week 8 hrs. There are different timing configurations and you'll have to see what they're offering at the moment. Altogether it's 180 hours to be a chovesh/et, another 40 hours I believe to be certified as an instructor. Altogether 220 hours.

2. If you want to volunteer, you need to answer 100 calls before you are certified for being a hatzala member.

3. I had to pay full-price for the course, but I understand that some of the courses after us were heavily subsidized by an organization for furthering women's rights.

4. Hatzala is very strict with their female volunteers, and they only allow volunteers in cities which the rabbonim have given their ishur. As far as I know they have active female chovshot active in some yishuvim, Jerusalem, Beitar, Elad, and Bnei Brak. Modiin Illit has not been approved yet. My friends who are active volunteers are mostly in Jrslm and BB.

5. There are lots of tznius issues involved in taking calls so I suggest speaking to your rav. For example, the female volunteers are not allowed to wear the orange haztala vests, rather a white coat, and only while at the scene (not running down the street).

6. It's an amazing occupation if you're cut out for it. For me, right now, with a dh who is also not usually home, I have decided it's not the kind of mommy I want my kids to have - the one who's running out all the time. Can you save lives? Yes. But at the moment, when my kids are small, I'd rather build their lives. I have a nursing baby, am up a lot at night, and feel that my tafkid right now is to be at home.

7. To answer WitchKitty: Many of my friends do go on tiyulim as a choveshet as you can make decent money (for my standards anyway), but I dislike trips so I don't do that.

Some of my friends, as I mentioned joined various parts of Ichud Hatzala, either in the womens division or in their trauma unit (for people at the scene suffering from emotional trauma). That requires extra/other training. Not sure if you need to be a choveshet for that, but that's where some of my chovshot friends ended up.
Some of my friends work at Hatzala's post-call center - after every case the volunteer who was on the scene needs to call this center and report. I think you do need to be a choveshet to do this (to understand the actions that were done, the treatments, and to ask the right questions). They record every call blow-by-blow and they love this work.

Some of us teach first aid - many women do teach at high-schools because it's a solid income for the time of the course. Personally, I give private first aid courses to women and also teach through Ichud Hatzala. The courses I teach vary from the basic 4 hour CPR course to 44 hour courses which you can graduate from as a "Maa"r" - Meigish Ezra Rishona. That's what you need to be certified as a teacher, life-guard etc. I find this very enjoyable as a side income and I love teaching this subject. Though originally I did the course for the EMT side (which I still value tremendously, and b"H have saved two choking babies), I find I am doing a lot more teaching.

Keep in mind that the course is not a once-and-you're-done, to keep your certification you must renew your license every two years (22 hour course work).

May Hashem protect us all.

zebra111

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:56 am
That was so helpful thankyou so much for sharing

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:02 am
I feel that ut is very important for mommies to take a basic first aid and CPR class every other year or so. Tipat Chalav has them sometimes.
I think it’s also important for kids who may be babysitting to have some basic knowledge. I grew up biannual first aid classes.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:58 am
I agree completely!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions