Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Choosing between Heichal Hatorah and MTA
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
From what I understand, MTA accommodates boys with LDs. They have resources for those that have special situations.

I think Heichel is more like TABC which was our first choice.

Two boys I know choose MTA because they didn't want to work harder at Heichel. But I am back to my original point of asking the Rosh Yeshivahs.

OP if you want to find a way that I can let you know what I was told by the faculty, I will tell you.

OP here. I would rather not identify myself on this thread. If I set up an email account and posted it here would you contact me that way?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
I agree that the experience at MTA is at least somewhat dependent on the shiur and secular studies track. I have one son who graduated from MTA and another still there. They were both in the highest shiur and highest track for secular studies, took AP classes, and after learning in Israel, plan to go to the YU honors program. The boys in their track tend to go to KBY and Shalavim. They are serious students and serious learners, and so are their friends. They have had a wonderful high school experience. They really love their rebbeim and teachers and have a great group of friends.

Thank you. My son would likely be in the higher shiur but not in the highest secular classes, at least not to start. I am not sure how that would affect his experiences there.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:18 am
I'm also looking into both.
Another beige you have me very concerned.
Can you please pm me?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:25 am
In my mind, TABC and MTA are more centrist/RWMO while Heichal is more to the right. What colleges are boys attending from Heichal? What elementary schools are they coming from?

gingleale

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:31 pm
Amother Beige can you PM me too? We are considering MTA but not Heichal.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:39 pm
As a mother searching for the right mesivta for her son, I will just add that you should check thoroughly what the boys are like in each place.

Sometimes the boys come from good homes and the rebbeim are good but for whatever reason the boys themselves might not be the type you want your son to be with every day.

I’m not saying anything about the specific schools you mentioned as we haven’t looked into those. It’s a general thing.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:42 pm
I have a son at MTA. I am not from NJ, so I am not personally familiar with Heichal, but the impression I have of it is that it is definitely more right wing than MTA in terms of the type of education and the student body.
I am very happy with MTA. My son is happy there and getting a good education. I do agree that the experience is shiur dependent. My son is in the top shiur and he barely knows some of the boys in the lower tracks. They are on completely different schedules and barely interact.

nylon

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 1:04 pm
I would not say Heichal is comparable to TABC. TABC's biggest feeders are Noam, Yavneh, and YNJ in that order. (I confirmed my anecdotal experience by checking their annual report.) Heichal is aiming more towards the RW families from YNJ, the families that don't want the regular MO high schools but not a full on mesivta.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I would rather not identify myself on this thread. If I set up an email account and posted it here would you contact me that way?

I would. The information is important enough.

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:12 pm
nylon wrote:
I would not say Heichal is comparable to TABC. TABC's biggest feeders are Noam, Yavneh, and YNJ in that order. (I confirmed my anecdotal experience by checking their annual report.) Heichal is aiming more towards the RW families from YNJ, the families that don't want the regular MO high schools but not a full on mesivta.

My son is at Noam and tells me that several of his classmates are considering Heichal, which surprises me.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:50 pm
I sent to Heichal. It gets kids not just from YNJ but also from Passaic. And some from Monsey. I think it’s very much a right wing YU yeshiva. If you’re comfortable in that haskafically you will be very happy. Typically the boys go from Heichal to yeshivish in Israel - KBY, Shaalavim, Yishrei, TOMO for the stronger boys. Mevaseret and Netiv for the weaker. The first graduates are now starting college or just started this year and they are going to Lander, Ner and YU.

It’s definitely more to the right than MTA or TABC. The yeshiva doesn’t do shiur by grade after 9 th ( I believe) but by ability which really enables kids to learn and not fall thru cracks and gives a sense of achdus to the yeshiva.

Heichal offers clubs and has a lot of trips ( skiing, Aquatopia) etc and melaveh Malkas and Thursday night cholent and singing and kumzitz ( a few times with Eitan Katz). It’s a very warm place. They try to give kids the ability to succeed not just academically.

Some kids wear hats to daven some don’t. Jackets are required. Some kids wear only white shirts but blue is allowed. Pants are dark color - no tan allowed.

It’s not a typical Mesivta nor is it a typical day school. Kind of a lot mesivta with some day school approaches in it - especially about secular studies. Kids have to take them seriously. APs are offered. SAT and ACT discussed.

Only anom bc too many ppl here know me

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
I sent to Heichal. It gets kids not just from YNJ but also from Passaic. And some from Monsey. I think it’s very much a right wing YU yeshiva. If you’re comfortable in that haskafically you will be very happy. Typically the boys go from Heichal to yeshivish in Israel - KBY, Shaalavim, Yishrei, TOMO for the stronger boys. Mevaseret and Netiv for the weaker. The first graduates are now starting college or just started this year and they are going to Lander, Ner and YU.

It’s definitely more to the right than MTA or TABC. The yeshiva doesn’t do shiur by grade after 9 th ( I believe) but by ability which really enables kids to learn and not fall thru cracks and gives a sense of achdus to the yeshiva.

Heichal offers clubs and has a lot of trips ( skiing, Aquatopia) etc and melaveh Malkas and Thursday night cholent and singing and kumzitz ( a few times with Eitan Katz). It’s a very warm place. They try to give kids the ability to succeed not just academically.

Some kids wear hats to daven some don’t. Jackets are required. Some kids wear only white shirts but blue is allowed. Pants are dark color - no tan allowed.

It’s not a typical Mesivta nor is it a typical day school. Kind of a lot mesivta with some day school approaches in it - especially about secular studies. Kids have to take them seriously. APs are offered. SAT and ACT discussed.

Only anom bc too many ppl here know me

The boys don't wear white shirts except for 2. They allow any color shirt as long as it is button down with a collar.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:43 pm
I’m not on the boys high school scene (yet), but many boys from YBH in Passaic go to Heichal, these are families that also consider yesodei in queens, but not TABC or MTA.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
The boys don't wear white shirts except for 2. They allow any color shirt as long as it is button down with a collar.

Are you on the faculty or associated otherwise with Heichal, beige?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
I’m not on the boys high school scene (yet), but many boys from YBH in Passaic go to Heichal, these are families that also consider yesodei in queens, but not TABC or MTA.

Half right. Boys from YBH consider schools ranging including TABC, MTA, Heichal, Yesodei and Shaar HaTorah. Heichal tends to fall in the middle, so a boy applying to MTA might also apply there, and a boy applying to Yesodei might apply there, because it's within range of both, depending on where they're holding and what appeals to them about the school.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
Are you on the faculty or associated otherwise with Heichal, beige?

Not at all.

The boys who wear white shirts go to a different program that rents space in the building.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:32 pm
This is a picture of typical Heichel boys.

http://m.care-one.com/?url=htt.....#2884

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:

I went to the open house this year. I watched the video. It looked like maybe 2 boys wear a hat. I want my ds to wear a hat and don't want him to be the odd one out. I decided the Yeshiva wasn't for me, especially after I confirmed with existing parents that their kids don't wear hats.

flmommy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:41 pm
I heard MTA has or had a drug problem. Maybe that is what amother is talking about. I hope this problem has gotten better. I do not know of this as a fact.

heightsmom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:49 pm
Please don't single one school for having a drug problem. Drugs alcohol and vaping are problems for all schools.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics