Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
School car pool safety

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:40 am
I’m not sure what forum to exactly put this. There is no bus available at our local dayschool. All kids are driven to school. I don’t know what is wrong with adults who pick up during dismissal, but so many are dangerous and rude. People driving while texting or talking on the cell phone (illegal in my state). Making dangerous illegal u-turns. Parking in red zones & illegally parking in handicapped spots. Drivers parking and blocking the carpool line... etc. The school has sent emails and notices to parents about the carpool dismissal process. Recently the police gave warnings & tickets to drivers. Any ideas on what can be done to improve safety? What works at your school? I know this is an ongoing issue at private and public schools all over. Would love to hear if anyone has tips & advice on what may actually work to improve safety.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:53 am
Presumably streamlining the system and altering the driving patterns would help. My school as a child had a U-shaped driveway leading to the front of the school, and the principal, who recognized all the cars, would call each child on the PA system as soon as he saw the parents pulling into the driveway. That kept things moving pretty quickly and parents didn't have to run any craziness to park.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:16 am
Is there a member of the administration supervising outside during carpool? Our school principal runs the show at carpool, and he doesn't hesitate to react when someone isn't following the rules. There's also at least one other admin keeping things moving safely. We don't have the issues you describe. If they're expecting parents to follow the rules on their own, unfortunately it's pretty likely to be a zoo.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:16 am
Or what about the double and triple parking and letting out kids while cars are moving in a different line. I cringe when I see this. Don't you love your children??? Listen to the security guard! There is ONE line for the safety of your kids!!!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:35 am
My kid's school has a pretty decent system. Force all cars to come from one direction to even get onto the street the school is on. Enter driveway from one direction (I.e. Must turn right to go in, not left) and one dedicated drop off section. There are teachers and the guard directing traffic and giving warnings. The principal is there too many times.
My pet peeve is the school a few blocks away from our school that I have seen kids WALKING in the car while it is moving into the carpool line! Kids not in appropriate car seats. Kids biking or walking to school and not looking out for cars. The admin won't do anything unless they see the issue on school property. One kid ran in front of my car. It was clearly a kid from that school due to location, uniform and gender. I called the school to ask if they could put a reminder out about basic safety in the shabbos flyer. I got a "what do you want us to do? We don't know which kid it was" instead of- "one person called, who knows how many others are doing the same thing, let's just put a reminder for parents to review the following few ideas."

It has to come top-down and the school needs to put out reminders, give warnings etc and not let families cut in line etc.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:38 am
And if there is a car in the carpool line that has to let out kids on the side away from the curb, please don't pass them when the door is open and the kids are coming- wait a minute. Think of it like a bus with a stop sign.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:23 am
You can only control your family

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:37 am
How much do you want to bet that the vast majority of these kids are not wearing seatbelts, or takes them off the minute the car pulls out onto the road?

So scary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette