Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Do I NEED a Kugel Blade?
1  2  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:35 am
Hi. I'm looking to buy a food processor, I've never had one before. Primarily I want it for making potato kugel. So naturally, the Braun with the kugel blade is recommended - except it's $75-$100 more than just a regular average food processor. So do I NEED the kugel blade? Why or why not?
TIA

mammale

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:49 am
My understanding is that the Kugel blade grates more finely ( like the way it comes from caterers). If you don't mind Kugel grated thicker it isn't necessary.
Also, I've heard that if you grate it, then put it through again a little at a time with the s blade you can get the same effect ( I've never had the patience to try it!)
I wish I had the Kugel blade, but my potato Kugel still comes out great without it!

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:27 am
I think the kugel blade is an excellent investment. I use it every single week at least once.

At a certain point there was another company with a kugel blade that was available that was much cheaper. I can't recall the name now. However, investing in a Braun is worth every penny. The cheaper ones just don't last as long. In a yiddisher kitchen, it gets used pretty often, for other things as well.

I'd get a Braun. I've gotten the cheaper one and regretted it. And I've subsequently bought the Braun and I'm very happy with it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:28 am
The kugel blade gives you that mixture of half puree and half graded. I personally don't use it but I bought the Braun because of its other great features.

Dairy Queen

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:31 am
I never believed it until I saw it myself but there is a huge difference between kugels made with the kugel blade and without. My husband notices right away when it is used. The kugel (using the same recipe) is waaaay better. I don’t understand the science of it, but it’s there.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:33 am
I find it hard to believe that the manufacturers call them kugel blades. What are they called in standard English?

Also I’d like to point out that if you care about such things, as some of us still do, Braun and Bosch products are manufactured in Germany.

Teomima

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:34 am
I've never even heard of a kugel blade before so naturally no, you don't NEED it. Personally I don't like mushy kugel anyways and much prefer using the larger grate for my potato kugel, which comes out rich and creamy but textured and not that mushy baby food consistency store-bought kugels have.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:35 am
Absolutely not. I don't have one and have never felt I needed one

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:51 am
zaq wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the manufacturers call them kugel blades. What are they called in standard English?

Also I’d like to point out that if you care about such things, as some of us still do, Braun and Bosch products are manufactured in Germany.

Bruan actually calls it the Ultimate Kugel Potato Latkes Blade. Cuisinart calls it a Fine Grater Disc.

rgr

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Bruan actually calls it the Ultimate Kugel Potato Latkes Blade. Cuisinart calls it a Fine Grater Disc.

Cuisinart's fine grater disc is NOT like the Braun kugel blade.

I grew up with the Braun kugel blade but got a Cuisinart when I got married. I was very disappointed that I spent extra for the extra blade that was not what I expected

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:36 pm
the braun is great, definitely worth the money. Easy to use and very strong. I don't like the kugel blade though and nor does my husband so I just don't use it. I grate all my potatoes and then take about half of them and puree with the onions with the S blade. Prefer that method.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:40 pm
rgr wrote:
Cuisinart's fine grater disc is NOT like the Braun kugel blade.

I grew up with the Braun kugel blade but got a Cuisinart when I got married. I was very disappointed that I spent extra for the extra blade that was not what I expected

I don't use a kugel blade, and people seem to like my kugel.

That said, I DESPISED my Cuisinart food processor. Then I bought a cheap Hamilton Beach for Pesach, and loved it.

jflower

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:42 pm
zaq wrote:

I bought a Braun food processor and regretted it each time I took it out to make potato kugel. I hate the idea that I succumbed and bought a German product. I should not have done it and won't make that mistake again.

fulltimemommy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:49 pm
Depends on how you like your kugel. Some like it stringy, some like it mushy...

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:50 pm
I use a safety grater and do it by hand. Cost $5. I make one almost every week.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:51 pm
I only like kugel made with the kugel blade.

There's also huge difference in grated maror if using kugel blade or s blade. When using kugel blade it stays more potent, and last for longer

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:55 pm
zaq wrote:

You make excellent points.

I have never in my life heard of a "kugel blade". Oh, all the things you learn here on Imamother! LOL

I've always used the normal size grating holes, and never had any complaints.

There are SO many things that can change the texture in a kugel. How wet or dry the potatoes are depending on the variety and time of year. How thickly you spread it in the pan. How long you leave it on the blech. How many eggs you add. If the oven is set to High or Medium heat. I could go on and on.

rgr

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 1:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I don't use a kugel blade, and people seem to like my kugel.

That said, I DESPISED my Cuisinart food processor. Then I bought a cheap Hamilton Beach for Pesach, and loved it.

I hate mine too.

All the safety features make it so impractical. I have to cut all the potatoes in quarters or smaller for it to fit through the chute

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:16 pm
mammale wrote:

Also, I've heard that if you grate it, then put it through again a little at a time with the s blade you can get the same effect ( I've never had the patience to try it!)
I wish I had the Kugel blade, but my potato Kugel still comes out great without it!

I've tried it this way. It does not work well.

If you like your potato kugel as is, then you don't need one, OP. If you want that extra delicoius kugel, then yes. Invest in it.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 3:01 pm
agreer wrote:
I've tried it this way. It does not work well.

If you like your potato kugel as is, then you don't need one, OP. If you want that extra delicoius kugel, then yes. Invest in it.

Problem is, I've never made potato kugel before. The kids love the potato kugels from take out and catering. But I've never really done it before so I don't know if they'll care regarding how the potatoes are grated and the consistency of the kugel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars