Home

Two Republicans Refuse to Vote Against Antisemitism

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Lilac

Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:45 am
Yesterday, Republicans used a procedural tactic — known as a motion to recommit —offered language condemning anti-Semitism to a foreign policy measure regarding Yemen. It was done without notice to the Democrats.

After a bit of consulting, given the surprise nature of the bill, every Democrat voted for it.

Justin Amash of Michigan and Thomas Massie of Kentucky, both Republicans, didn't. They voted "present."

(The measure will be added to the House resolution to cut off U.S. aid to Saudi Arabia in Yemen’s civil war. Most Republicans voted against the measure as a whole. The whole thing apparently is likely to be passed by the Senate, though it would almost certainly be vetoed by President Donald Trump.)

Waiting for the outrage here against Amash and Massie.

leah233

Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:51 am
Not answering the question but there must be more to the story

Where would the issue of anti-Semitism come into a bill about the Saudi war in Yemen?

amother

Lilac

Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:59 am
leah233 wrote:
Not answering the question but there must be more to the story

Where would the issue of anti-Semitism come into a bill about the Saudi war in Yemen?

Doesn't make sense, does it? But things get added to bills in a crazy manner all the time. In this case, it was an attempt to embarrass Democrats, whom they figured would vote against it -- procedurally -- and look bad. Didn't work.

I'm not going to condemn the Republicans who voted against the bill as a whole, since that would be the tail wagging the dog. Not that people here don't do that all the time. But refusing to vote against the amendment introduced by their own party?

Here's an article explaining it better than I can.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0.....icans.html

leah233

Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:06 am
I read about it further and I see no reason for outrage.

When someone introduces irrelevant things into a bill to put those who do or don't support it into a bad position they are just being manipulative.

Saying "Two Republicans Refuse to Vote Against Antisemitism" is bending the truth.

They didn't vote for a bill about the Saudi war in Yemen.

Even though the issue of anti-Semitism was gratuitously inserted into it to make people look bad.

anon for this

Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:08 am
According to the article, Amash and Massie say they voted against the bill because they didn't think the resolution belonged in this bill. I'd be curious to know whether they normally vote against bills with added resolutions that aren't relevant to the original bill. Also, I'd like to know whether they would have voted for the bill without the language.

Amash considers himself a libertarian, and a cursory look at his voting record supports this, so I would think he would be against US involvement in Yemen.

Fox

Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 12:08 pm
Much as it pains me to agree with J-Street on anything, including the weather, they are right.

If you want more outrage in your life, this is an opportunity to be outraged at the Republicans who attached this to an unrelated bill in a stupid attempt to play gotcha with the Democrats. Of course, both parties regularly do stuff like this, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

The Democratic Party is going to have to figure out how to navigate the movement of their party to the left with the left's anti-Semitism. They don't need the Republicans ham-fisted help to do so.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h