Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Eretz Yisrael Poll
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

My monthly expenses are:
Less than NIS 10,000  
 26%  [ 17 ]
Between 10,000 - 12,000  
 23%  [ 15 ]
Between 12,000 - 15,000  
 14%  [ 9 ]
More than NIS 15,000  
 34%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 63

Rappel

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 3:09 pm
bunnyrabbit wrote:

Do you pay rent/mortgage?

Do you live in the Merkaz?

Do you have more than 1-2 young children?

Do you track your monthly expenses?

!

Yes.

No.

No.

Kind of. We've gotten a lot better this past year, but we still get surprised sometimes by forgotten horaot keva. XD

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 3:12 pm
bunnyrabbit wrote:
I know that people working in high-tech, management positions etc make more than this, but regular workers? Think secretaries at your kuppat cholim - do they really reach a salary of 15,000 shekel? How much do government workers make (revacha, gvia etc)? Honestly asking; I have no idea.
I think yesodi teachers get paid much less than this, too, but I could be wrong.

It's a huge perk, particularly as the rest of us need to pay DOUBLE child-care those months (think private gan, mitaplot, etc -you pay a set rate a month in many cases, which includes the months YOU'RE working and she's not!)

Secretaries don't usually reach 15 k. But they also don't need the same level of education. The teacher that earns 15k has a BA, a teaching diploma, and an MA. And 20 years experience.

Remember a starting salary for a teacher is only 8k. And this is all bruto, of course.

And, yes elementary teachers get paid less, although I think it evens out after many years experience. But I believe the starting salary is much less. Not sure though.

I definitely know some government workers עובדי מדינה that make more than 15k bruto, but in income tax and departments like that. I assume revacha workers are mainly social workers and make very little.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 3:17 pm
bunnyrabbit wrote:
I had no idea teachers make so much.

Teachers were paid peanuts till the reforms of the past few years.

The whole system underwent upheaval. Now teachers need to stay at school longer days, till three or even four, instead of leaving at one like they used to.

The reforms were very controversial, but ultimately they did manage to increase teacher salaries. However, teaching is no longer a comfy mom job like it used to be. Those who leave at one make less than peanuts.

In any case, it's not such an easy job teaching Israeli kids. The dropout rates for teachers leaving the profession in the first five years are astronomical.

Israeli_C

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:
That's simply not true.

If you have a teudat horaa and a BA (in anything really) then a starting salary for a teacher is 8000 nis (full time, 5 days a week, about 8:15 -15:15 every day, depending on school recess etc). That's for high school, I believe elementary is similar. You don't teach all those hours; in high school, full time is 40 periods (of 45 min each), but you only teach a maximum of 24 periods of frontal lessons. The rest is dedicated to your own paperwork and one-on-one with pupils.
As far as I know, if you have kids in daycare, you receive another 500 NIS a month to help cover that, in your salary. Also you receive a 10% bonus on your basic salary (not on the whole thing), if you have any kids under 14 - משרת אם
You won't pay a lot of taxes if you have several little kids.

If you are a native English speaker, it should not be too hard to find a position. It definitely covers daycare! And it's worth starting, because every year adds vetek and increases your salary and pension.

Also, there are daycares subsidized by the gov't AFAIK, and you only get a subsidy if you work f/t, or almost f/t. So daycare might cost much less if you are working.

True, the situation for teachers has improved, but I was also factoring in an entire year to finish the teuda where I'd need to pay for daycare for 3 kids under 2 years old. Hopefully when everyone's older I'll be able to get back to studies, but currently it's not possible budgetwise. Although on a sidenote, quite nice how in Israel most lecturers don't frown on bringing a baby to class. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten through my first year...

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:52 am
Israeli_C wrote:
True, the situation for teachers has improved, but I was also factoring in an entire year to finish the teuda where I'd need to pay for daycare for 3 kids under 2 years old. Hopefully when everyone's older I'll be able to get back to studies, but currently it's not possible budgetwise. Although on a sidenote, quite nice how in Israel most lecturers don't frown on bringing a baby to class. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten through my first year...

Yes of course it can be overwhelming with babies.
I hope you are in a program that is no more than two days a week, if you are just doing the diploma (and have a degree). It shouldnt take more.
Also I assume you inquired about holding your credits and so on.
I made the mistake of leaving after a year in a similar situation, and didnt hand in some of my final papers. Later I had to redo all the courses.

Israeli_C

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:05 am
amother wrote:
Yes of course it can be overwhelming with babies.
I hope you are in a program that is no more than two days a week, if you are just doing the diploma (and have a degree). It shouldnt take more.
Also I assume you inquired about holding your credits and so on.
I made the mistake of leaving after a year in a similar situation, and didnt hand in some of my final papers. Later I had to redo all the courses.

Yeah, hopefully the last year is 1 half day of lectures and a day of placement in a school. I have an English degree, just need to get a TH to teach. Yep, they said that I should be able to just take up where I left off unless a new class becomes mandatory in which case I'd need to make up for it. TBH I really hated my studies. I think haredi students get a tough deal in Israeli universities. Looking forward to just getting it over with.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:08 am
Live in Beit Shemesh ,6 kids no mortgage/rent bH, no car.
We spend about 15,000
I make 8,000 , husband currently unemployed Sad so situation is a sticky mess of borrowing money/ asking parents, hope that'll change soon.

Tuition+ therapies 4,000
Utilities 2,000
Clothes shoes housewares etc 1,500
Groceries 4,000
Not sure about the rest!!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:19 am
Israeli_C wrote:
Yeah, hopefully the last year is 1 half day of lectures and a day of placement in a school. I have an English degree, just need to get a TH to teach. Yep, they said that I should be able to just take up where I left off unless a new class becomes mandatory in which case I'd need to make up for it. TBH I really hated my studies. I think haredi students get a tough deal in Israeli universities. Looking forward to just getting it over with.

You might be able to transfer your credits to a charedi college, and finish there, if you would feel more comfortable. Misrad hachinuch recognizes most colleges for salary purposes etc.

Although a real university (not college) looks more impressive on resumes. (Also, as one who has studied in both colleges and universities here, the studies are much more demanding in university).

bunnyrabbit

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:10 pm
Here's another question for you.

Do you get a raise annually? Do you have to ask for it, or is it automatic? If you get a raise, how significant is it?

I do not get an automatic raise, I need to ask. Last January I asked for a raise for the first time in 2 years and I got it. How about you?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:47 pm
Sorry I voted without realizing I don't qualify. We have five children and spend about 20k nis a month.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:21 am
I find this thread fascinating. I apologize - I replied to the poll after only reading quickly. I have six kids so we're a family of eight.

We need about 23-25K a month.

Honestly, I'm not sure how this is sustainable to the average family. Salaries just aren't high enough for the high cost of living.

We live in Jerusalem and, thank G-d, don't have a rent or a mortgage. We do not have a car.
My teenagers EAT. And have tuition. And need clothes. There's food, utilities, arnona and so on and so forth, and it just really adds up at the end of the month. I believe I live frugally. I only shop in the cheapest supermarket and always price compare and stock up on sales. I don't have cleaning help, which I would love. We don't vacation. In order to earn our salaries, we both work full time plus at 2-3 jobs each. I think we all have our priorities. I'm ultra frugal in many ways and shop sales as much as possible. But I'll splurge on a great dress for my teenage daughter (I remember that age. She's a bit overweight. Insecure. I feel it's important for her.) I'll by certain expensive foods (since I'm on a specialized diet). My kids go to an american-style camp (I have several boys with ADHD who need activities, trips, and to feel good about themselves/let loose after the school year), etc. So I guess to answer your question, I save where I can, and spend where I feel it's healthy for myself and my family.

Great thread!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:58 am
I'm struck by how many of the posters have no rent or mortgage expenses.
That saves thousands of sh. month.
Personally I don't know anyone who doesn't have one or the other.

essie14

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:06 am
amother wrote:
I'm struck by how many of the posters have no rent or mortgage expenses.
That saves thousands of sh. month.
Personally I don't know anyone who doesn't have one or the other.

Me too.
For those of you in that category, did your parents buy you an apartment or have you already paid off your mortgage?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:25 am
We pay about 3500/mo for our mortgage.
Bh DH’s business is doing very well that we will soon be out of debt and be able to see how much we actually need per month.
I didn’t vote since I don’t know and we have six kids.
We live just outside Jerusalem in a 6 room dira now valued at about 2m.
Our oldest in in 4th grade so our tuition is quite low. The boys are 330/mo, the girls 200is/yr.
Gan is 450.
Private gan is around 600/mo, but Dd is home with me.

We shop sales and gemachim and Dh gets vouchers and perks from the Mir. Those make a big difference.

yc

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:46 am
I don't fit in to the question as I have 8 kids, but our expenses are a little over 15,000.
I'm actually surprised that with up to 3 kids ppl spend that much? When we had a smaller family we spent much much less than now, even though our mortgage is almost paid off now and down to only 1500/month.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 4:31 am
Iymnok wrote:
We pay about 3500/mo for our mortgage.

We live just outside Jerusalem in a 6 room dira now valued at about 2m.

How can mortgage be so low for a 2m house?

I'm also surprised by the number of people who don't have to pay mortgage/rent. That's a real game changer...

yc

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 4:49 am
we bought our apartment the first year we were married, and 18 years later are finishing our mortgage next month b'ezh.
(it was only $150k- not in j-m, now valued at closer to 2 million nis. we had much siyata dishmaya in buying at such a low price)

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:23 am
Mayflower wrote:
How can mortgage be so low for a 2m house?

I'm also surprised by the number of people who don't have to pay mortgage/rent. That's a real game changer...
she said that is is NOW valued at 2 million, that doesnt mean she bought it for 2million. Thats real estate for you.

If I were to sell my home now, It would also be able to get about 2 million, but I did pay that either.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:41 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
she said that is is NOW valued at 2 million, that doesnt mean she bought it for 2million. Thats real estate for you.

If I were to sell my home now, It would also be able to get about 2 million, but I did pay that either.

I understand. (I actually got mixed up with USD / NIS for a minute, my bad.)

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:55 am
Im under amother... thanks for understanding!

we live at about 10,000 shekel/month
I have one child
living here in Jerusalem 3 years BH

5300 rent we live quite central
3200 groceries about 800/week
500 babysitter
1000 MISC
(I dont know the breakdown for insurance, utilities, phone, internet, transportation)

if anyone can help me lower groceries im all ears!!

ETA in our area, we are considered lower than average I think Wink
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics