Home

ISO easy way to train 3 yo son

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Mustard


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:13 pm
My son will IY"H be 3 in 5 weeks.

I want him to be trained before Pesach, if possible, so I don't have to travel with extra diapers.

I am looking for the best, easiest way to train him.

Right now, he knows that adults use the toilet and he occasionally tells me that he has made poop. I bought him underwear with fun characters, and he's excited for that. But beyond that, he doesn't really show interest or awareness.

His playgroup Morah suggested letting him walk around the house in underwear one weekend and see how it goes. Others have suggested letting him walk around naked. One friend said train him at night, too, and another said put him in diapers at night.

Help. I'm overwhelmed. Please provide tips.

TIA
Back to top

monkeys




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:44 pm
There are three stages:
1- understanding that I have peed
2- realizing that I am peeing
3- feeling the I need to pee
Just stay home for three days, take away the diaper and be ready for loads of accidents. By day three he should be by the third stage. Be very very positive. Overly positive. (Pretend you are a nursery Morah.) accidents are okay. It means the kid is learning. Tell that to him and stay calm and happy. You can buy small dollar store prizes or use winkies or chocolate chips. Let him have a goal of earning a big present at the end. Praise him loads and let bubby and aunts praise him too.
Toilet toppers and a potty in whatever room he is in are helpful. My oldest was scared of the toilet so we used a potty and then transitioned to the toilet with a topper.
There is a book called “I can go by myself,” by Elisheva Morgan that is great!!
Personally, I was never comfortable letting them go around without underwear. I put my boys in an oversized shirt with undies.
If he finds it too stressful, stop and try again in a few months. I had to do that with my oldest who has a very intense and sensitive personality.
Night training is a muscular development. Some kids have it and some don’t. Don’t push it. If you see he’s dry at night, great! If not, let him wear a pull up and when it stays dry for a month then you can take it away.
Good luck!!!
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:01 pm
1- no bottoms for three days
2- stay in the house those three days
3- only focus on his toileting those 3 days
4- give him a lot to drink so has opportunities to use the bathroom
5- have him sit on the potty/toilet 15 minutes on and then 20 minutes off
6- give praise and a small reward like a jelly bean when he makes on the potty
7- keep an eye a whole time if he starts to pee/ poop not on the potty and take him there fast to finish the job
8- you can night train him the same time. I did. It worked well. I didnt give drinks in bed though
Back to top

amother




Mustard


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:37 pm
How does one night train? Thank you so much for your tips so far.
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:38 pm
now in day # 3 with toilet training my dc rather closer to two.
understands the need to pee B"H-asks to use toilet, but still afraid to pee basicly today 1 accident but only peed twice. B"H pood once
napped in carriage with undies, put underpad on carriage (in case of accident) woke up dry.

night still putting on diapers, so she can empty herself (not healthy to hold back so long)
I was relieved when dc woke up this morning with a heavy and smelly diaper. (1st 2 days dc didn't poo at all)
Back to top

amother




Chocolate


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
How does one night train? Thank you so much for your tips so far.


You don't need to night train. Have him use the bathroom before bed, and use pull ups at night. Whenever his body is ready he will start waking up dry. Once it happens for a week straight you'll know you don't need pull ups anymore.
Back to top

monkeys




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
You don't need to night train. Have him use the bathroom before bed, and use pull ups at night. Whenever his body is ready he will start waking up dry. Once it happens for a week straight you'll know you don't need pull ups anymore.


Exactly this. But my ped said a month, not a week. My 5.5 year old still wears a pull up. I was advised not to push it. It will happen when he’s ready.
Back to top

amother




Pewter


Post  Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:13 am
amother wrote:
now in day # 3 with toilet training my dc rather closer to two.
understands the need to pee B"H-asks to use toilet, but still afraid to pee basicly today 1 accident but only peed twice. B"H pood once
napped in carriage with undies, put underpad on carriage (in case of accident) woke up dry.

night still putting on diapers, so she can empty herself (not healthy to hold back so long)
I was relieved when dc woke up this morning with a heavy and smelly diaper. (1st 2 days dc didn't poo at all)


When you find the solution to this problem please letme know. My daughter has been having the same issue. She has very good self control and it drives me mad that she can keep herself in so long.
Back to top

creditcards




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:23 am
monkeys wrote:
Exactly this. But my ped said a month, not a week. My 5.5 year old still wears a pull up. I was advised not to push it. It will happen when he’s ready.


A month is too long. Because some kids learn that they can pee in the pull-up. After 3 days dry I take it off for at night. Otherwise they can start making in the pull-up on purpose.
Back to top

creditcards




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
When you find the solution to this problem please letme know. My daughter has been having the same issue. She has very good self control and it drives me mad that she can keep herself in so long.


Train when they are older. The older the faster the process.
Back to top

Bliss




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:25 am
I trained 2 kids in an extremely positive way. Even when they would make an accident I said "good you know how to do it" and quickly pick him up and let him finish in the toilet.

I set a timer for every 15 minutes. Every half hour I sent him to the toilet to try to make and then he would get a chocolate chip, just for trying. And every 15 minutes in between he would check if he's dry and also get a choco chip. And when he made in the bathroom he would get a few choco chips.

These 2 of my kids got trained very easily.
Back to top

shanarishona




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Feb 15 2019, 2:00 am
Don't worry if it doesn't work. My son wasn't ready till 3.5 years
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO Good Sheitelmacher who sells Clarys for less than Clary?
by amother
2 Today at 1:56 pm View last post
ISO professional Home organizer course online
by amother
2 Today at 12:57 pm View last post
ISO Boys elementary school for out of box kids
by amother
5 Today at 12:18 pm View last post
Sneakers for my son in men’s shoes
by amother
3 Today at 8:54 am View last post
Summer Job ideas for 17 year old son 1 Today at 4:58 am View last post

Jump to: