Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Nice of de Blasio of coming to Midwood to discuss anti-semit

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:18 pm
Midwood – In the wake of assaults in Jews and swastika paining across the city, Mayor Bill de Blasio issued a strong condemnation of anti-Semitism at a rally in Midwood this afternoon.
One name conspicuously absent was Rep. Ilhan Omar, a Minnesota Democrat whose anti-Semitic tweets have been roiling Washington for the past few days.
The rally, which took place at the Kingsway Jewish Center, was scheduled after officials were criticized for not speaking out after a spate of attacks on Jews in Crown Heights and other areas. De Blasio said that for Jews in particular, for whom the Holocaust is a family history, anti-Semitism is a heinous crime.
“People right here in this community in Brooklyn have seen in their own lives what happens when anti-Semitism goes unchecked, when people stay silent, when the authorities don’t do anything, in countries that families here came from, they watched complacency, silence,” he said.
“This is not just about saying we don’t like it,” he added. “This is about making very clear we will not tolerate any form of anti-Semitism. There will be consequences. … I want to give this message loud and clear to anyone who has hatred in their heart and they’re thinking of going out and scrawling something on a subway or a front door, they’re thinking of attacking an individual because of what they’re wearing or because of the language they speak. If you do that, we will find you. We will arrest you and you will go to prison. Period.”
Also invited to the rally were Assembly members Helene Weinstein and Simcha Eichenstein, as well as Councilman Kalman Yeger.
It comes amid a rise in hate crimes in New York. As of this week, there were 47 hate incidents in the city compared to 27 during the same period in 2018.
“We can never leave the Jewish people isolated and alone again,” de Blasi said.

https://www.boropark24.com/de-.....gain/

My thoughts- Credit must be given to de Blasio for taking his time and coming to Midwood to discuss anti-semitism, but Ill eat my hat if no one there or anywhere else, in the last week, asked him what he thinks about Ilhan Omar's recent comments (that she says arent anti-semitic, only anti-Israel, sure). With de Blasio being the Mayor of a city with a large Jewish population, he is well aware that many of his constituents, who he met with today, are very hurt and shocked at her comments about Jewish control and their "Benjamins", even with her "lame" apology,

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:34 pm
Won’t do anything to me. I am not impressed at all how he is handling the violence and anti semitism in his city. There are attacks happening almost daily in Crown Heights. What is he doing about that?

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:05 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Won’t do anything to me. I am not impressed at all how he is handling the violence and anti semitism in his city. There are attacks happening almost daily in Crown Heights. What is he doing about that?

This was his warning:

"I want to give this message loud and clear to anyone who has hatred in their heart and they’re thinking of going out and scrawling something on a subway or a front door, they’re thinking of attacking an individual because of what they’re wearing or because of the language they speak. If you do that, we will find you. We will arrest you and you will go to prison. Period.”

Short of having police protection on every block, what else can he do?

Im very unimpressed with the fact that hes the mayor of a city, very populated by Jews, and afaik he hasnt made a public statement about Omar's remarks.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/14/.....tism/

He never brought up Sunday’s tweet by Omar, the Minnesota freshman who caused a furor by saying the relationship between the US and Israel is “all about the Benjamins.”

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:30 pm
De Blasio can say whatever he wants about being tough on crime but his words ring hollow! It's just a good sound bite opportunity for him and he isn't going to back up his words with any plan of action!

The police know this and so do the criminals!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:43 pm
De blasio is another dinkins. I just hope no disasters will happen during his tenure. He is so incompetent.

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:31 pm
I dont think anyone here is pleased with de Blasio (is anyone pleased with him?), but as far as preventing crime, hes (perhaps as a Democrat happily) working with the present slap on the wrist laws, revolving door justice system, not conducive to preventing repeat crime.

Look at the guy who was arrested for the robbery this week that lead to a police detective getting killed (by friendly fire). He was a "career criminal".

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new......html

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:32 pm
ectomorph wrote:
De blasio is another dinkins. I just hope no disasters will happen during his tenure. He is so incompetent.

Agree, he’s awful, only does what’s politically expedient for himself at any particular moment and is an absolute phony.

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:16 am
Not sure why Rep Omar's absence is noteworthy -- she represents Minnesota, not NY.

Mevater

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:45 am
DrMom wrote:
Not sure why Rep Omar's absence is noteworthy -- she represents Minnesota, not NY.

Had she made the comment in Timbuktu, it would have still pierced the hearts of every living Jew. Shes a newly elected Congresswoman in the Democratic party, chosen by the Democratic party to be on House Foreign Affairs Committee, potentially negatively impacting Israel/Jews.

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 7:10 am
Mevater wrote:
Had she made the comment in Timbuktu, it would have still pierced the hearts of every living Jew. Shes a newly elected Congresswoman in the Democratic party, chosen by the Democratic party to be on House Foreign Affairs Committee, potentially negatively impacting Israel/Jews.

Meh. I don't see her absence as an issue here.

Don't get me wrong: I definitely see her involvement in the House Foreign Affairs Committee as a huge problem.

But she's been an anti-Semite since she's been in the public eye. I don't expect her to show up for this rally, esp since it's not in the state she represents.

Mevater

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 8:48 am
DrMom wrote:
Meh. I don't see her absence as an issue here.

Don't get me wrong: I definitely see her involvement in the House Foreign Affairs Committee as a huge problem.

But she's been an anti-Semite since she's been in the public eye. I don't expect her to show up for this rally, esp since it's not in the state she represents.

Who said anything about expecting her to be there?

But when theres a huge cloud over a Mayor's constituency, and Anti-Semitism is the topic of the day, that the Mayor is addressing, even though they were discussing Anti-Semitism specifically in NYC, mention of her with disgust, would have been very welcome and comforting to this crowd.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 10:42 am
I don't understand. Why isn't de Blasio speeking in a crown heights school? So many assaults over there. Huh?! It's okay if he's going on some sort of speaking circuit, but the message would be taken more seriously by speaking in the area that the attacks happen in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics