Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Maybe my son has ASD? Now what ?
1  2  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:38 pm
He is 6 Based on my online web searches maybe he has a mild ASD.

Now what?

Teachers are complaining that he is out of line and same thing at home. We need him to get therapy. He is very smart beyond his age. I live in Manalapan and have jersey care insurance

livinginisrael

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:29 am
No advice cuz not from NJ but good luck .
my son has asd and is 6 as well. We switched him to a special ed school this year and it's a world of a difference

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:36 am
Hey - my sons therapist moved to monteclair newjersey... (son age 6, possible diagnoses as well)

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:44 am
Oh- I didnt realize how far that is from you. Too bad- we miss her!
I have another name in lakewood if thats any closer. We didnt use this other so you would need to do your own research. She sounded sweet and knowlegable over the phone and I spoke to someone who was happy with her. You can pm me for names if of interest

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 7:42 am
First, remember that he's the same kid you knew before you suspected ASD, and he'll be the same kid even if you get a "label". The only thing that will change, is that you'll have better tools to help him learn and thrive.

If he qualifies for therapy, that is awesome. If not, then have him evaluated for ADHD. Either way, B'H we live in a time where these kids are getting lots of early intervention.

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 7:56 am
Franticfrummie I love what you said: imdeed he is the same child!
Also, therapy can be useful even when one doesnt qualify. We self pay and get reimbursed through insurance

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 10:50 am
In order to get him therapy you should get him an official diagnosis. You can get him evaluated at Children's Specialized Hospital or a private developmental pediatrician or pediatric psychologist. I have a few names in your area if you are interested. You can PM me.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:01 am
He might benefit from occupational therapy or social skills with a speech therapist. Social skills probably most important.

My ASD son has done very well in regular schools, but they are small, caring schools.

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:02 am
Amother peach:
Yes! To OT- it made a world of a difference... you need a good one though

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:05 am
We do dir/floortime and love it as well! Lots of nice movement/progress
Therapy session for my son an I together with the therapist, plus individual sessions with me alone.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:22 pm
First things first, get him evaluated. He probably does have ASD, but you want to find out where he is on the spectrum so you can know where to proceed from there.

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:33 pm
I would do a full evaluation. I have an 8 year old that is classified as Moderate to Severe ADHD but also has many overlapping traits of HFA and giftedness so having the full neuropsych testing done gave us so much clarity.

We also really liked using a developmental pediatrician for medication.

For therapy every kid will respond to different things. We have found a lot of success with a mixture of talk therapy where they do a lot of skill building, medication combined with some natural supplements and parenting using the methods in the book the explosive child. We go to OT but I am kind of mixed on its effectiveness. You will find that there is a lot of trial and error in the beginning and its okay.

My rebbetzin tells me that kids who give you the most challenge will grow up to give you the most nachas and it gets me through a lot of crazy days.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:36 pm
The problem is none of the agencies take Jersey Care. He likely has sensory issues which the standard OT in school or Children's Specialized do not appropriately address. If you get a diagnosis, contact an agency (there are dozens in Lakewood) and find out what private insurance to get that will cover therapies that he needs.

At the minimum, you'll need to figure out if his school is appropriate for him-can he stay there if he has good support ie a social skills therapist.

You start with a diagnosis and continue from there.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:37 pm
I agree with mha. Also, once you have some clarity on exactly where he's struggling, you can have a more organized game plan for targeting each area. You don't necessarily have to bombard him with ten therapies all at once. It's ok to prioritize what you're going to focus on based on how much he's affected functionally.

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:37 pm
And keep in mind: every person with a child with asd will swear by one thing and frown at another - while the next person will say the opposite. Do your own research... do what feels right for you... if theres no progress dont be scared to stop an try something else. Most of all - remember that theres usually no one answer- but each thing you do will build on a previous thing.
Best of luck!

aricelli

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:40 pm
Good insurance makes a big difference for us: we self paid a top play therapist and are reimbursed 125 out of every 150 dollars. We went to the Star center for wk long eval and were reimbursed a nice portion of that as well

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 7:20 pm
May I ask for the name of the therapist in Montclair? Similar situation here- son is 5. Also looking for social skills groups...(sorry if I’m hijaking)

Totally get what your going thru. Hugs!

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 7:29 pm
Guess its ok for me to put her info here as she has her info online as well
Her name is Jessica Loughlin. Last year besides for her private practice she was working at Markus Jarrows Smile Center in NYC as well in collobaration with their OT’s so she’s very knowlegable in that area as well. You can google her. Her contact info is posted online. You can call her just to get more info: she was super helpful over the phone when I first called her. Always do your own research as well!

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 7:56 pm
Btw OP, even if your child ultimately does not receive an asd diagnosis, you may be able to do these therapies. The same therapies geared for asd works for some other issues as well: For different reasons I was told not to pursue a diagnosis at this point (by my pediatrician) and I am doing floortime and ot anyway with nice results. In addition the phone sessions I do with the therapist is my lifeline.

Edited to clarify

Last edited by aricelli on Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

oneofakind

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:34 pm
I disagree. Nothing is across the board. Behavioral therapies alone do not address emotional or other neurological issues. Floortime is very nice but if you have a child with severe sensory (without an ASD diagnosis) or anxiety (without an ASD diagnosis) you will not see results. Get direction from somebody educated who has evaluated your child and can give you direction.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)