Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
SHATNEZ ALERT: UGG shoes
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:53 am
amother wrote:
I try not to buy anything out of wool, but I am not fanatic about it, so I may have something I didnt notice.

My husband doesnt own even one suit, lol (and are they made of wool anyway? )

I am vegetarian, not vegan, although some of my adult kids are vegan. I have health issues and not sure if veganism would work, though I may try one day.

I do wear leather shoes, at my age and with my feet I need the best I can get. If I could find a non leather alternative I would buy.

I am not the ideal animal rights rep, as you can see. But I think people should keep animal welfare in mind and make good choices whenever at all possible. This will vary by person.

Do you have any idea what other animal byproducts you use daily?

Heres a short list:

Inedible By-Products are things we cannot eat.
You probably use at least one item containing inedible beef by-products every day. For example, you probably know that the beef hide is used to make leather, but did you know that the hide also supplies felt and other textiles? It provides a base for many ointments, binders for plaster and asphalt, and a base for the insulation material used to cool and heat your house. In addition, “camel hair” artists’ brushes are not really made from camel hair but from the fine hair found in the ears and tails of beef cattle. Footballs, which used to be called “pigskins,” are also generally produced from cattle hide.

Industrial oils and lubricants, tallow for tanning, soaps, lipsticks, face and hand creams, some medicines, and ingredients for explosives are produced from the inedible fats from beef. Fatty acids are used in the production of chemicals, biodegradable detergents, pesticides, and flotation agents. One fatty acid is used to make automobile tires run cooler and, therefore last longer.

Bones, horns, and hooves also supply important by-products. These include buttons, bone china, piano keys, glues, fertilizer, and gelatin for photographic film, paper, wallpaper, sandpaper, combs, toothbrushes, and violin string.

http://www.cattle-empire.net/b.....ducts

http://beef2live.com/story-fun.....04636

https://www.businessinsider.co.....17-10

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:01 am
Shanie - I said I try. I didnt say I was the best rep for animal rights.

Some things are more blatant than others.

In any case, if someone told you they dont eat pork because they are Jewish, would you tell them it's worthless unless they only buy kosher snacks too?

We should strive to do what we can. I think avoiding Uggs is pretty easy in this day and age.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:04 am
amother wrote:

In any case, if someone told you they dont eat pork because they are Jewish, would you tell them it's worthless unless they only buy kosher snacks too?

We should strive to do what we can. I think avoiding Uggs is pretty easy in this day and age.

I might be annoyed if he lectured me sanctimoniously about kashrut.

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:15 am
amother wrote:

Maybe not worthless, but I would point out that it's defeating the purpose.
As for the ugg boots, I don't buy them anyway, so they are easily avoidable!

I wasn't posting to attack you. Just pointing out that EVERYBODY uses animal byproducts practically daily.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:52 am
Did anyone notice, in the link from the OP, that it said an UGG slipper? I wonder if its all of their products? Or really just the slippers?

Chickpea

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 11:21 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Did anyone notice, in the link from the OP, that it said an UGG slipper? I wonder if its all of their products? Or really just the slippers?

Op here. The whole article is ambiguous. The letter from UGG states that all UGGs contain linen. However, the commentary from Matzav says that it's just the slippers. On what are they basing that on? If this is such an issue, why wasn't the Jewish community notified about this years ago?

happy mommy6

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 11:52 am
My husband is a shatnez tester and is getting tons of phone calls about this! UGGS s have wool and should be checked. Boots and slippers. The shatnez checker will tell you if it doesn't need to be. Since Uggs are found to have.... as mentioned above, Rabbi Sayagh of Lakewood is saying Uggs should not be worn until he hears back and clarifie with the company. He should know by monday or tuesday.
In past, shatnez has been found in uggs, but not consistently.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:30 pm
huge difference between kashrut and l'havdil "animal rights"

mandr

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:15 pm
Hashem provided us with animals for our benefit. That means food, leather, wool, etc.

Debbie

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:04 am
mandr wrote:
Hashem provided us with animals for our benefit. That means food, leather, wool, etc.

This is true, and we are also told not to be cruel to animals,but sadly there's a lot of cruelty in the meat and other animal industries.
I wonder how many of us would become pescetarian,vegetarian,or vegan if we had to kill the animals ourselves.
🐄🐑🐔

renslet

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:11 am
Got this in a WhatsApp
UGGS SHAATNEZ UPDATE:
Due to information that has come to light, NCSTAR (National council of
shaatnez testers and researchers) has said that uggs should not be worn,
even if they were previously tested until further notice.
There is a thorough investigation being performed, and an update will be
sent out upon completion.

Avraham Granat
Shaatnez tester - NCSTAR

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 10:38 am
southernbubby wrote:
The sheepskin is wool ...

sheepskin and wool are not the same thing.

Chickpea

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:12 pm
imasoftov wrote:

There's a plush wool lining on the shoe's innersole.

renslet

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 4:43 am
UGGS UPDATE - PSAK DIN:
Based on a psak din from Rabbi Dovid Feinstein and others, the halacha is:
1. Uggs have flip flopped about the contents of the shoes, showing that they don't really know what is actually in them, so we can disregard their emails.
2. Any Uggs shoes that contain wool should be checked by a competent bodek shaatnez. Shaatnez *HAS* been found in several shoes.
3. Shalom al yisroel

Avraham Granat
Shaatnez tester, NCSTAR

cbsp

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:44 am
imasoftov wrote:

True, but since this is a halachic issue we need to use a halachic definition.

In any case, this letter explains why, in the case of Uggs, the sheepskin itself may be considered wool:

Bs’d
INTERNATIONAL HEADQUARTERS OF PROFESSIONAL SHATNEZ LABORATORIES

Yosef Sayagh
515 8th Street, Lakewood NJ 08701
(732) 364 7056 E-mail shatnezhedqtrs@verizon.net

Edited by: R’ Yosef Stolz (Los Angeles-California)

Bs’d
18th Feb ‘19

UGG Products
One e-mail message from UGG stating, “Yes, all of our products contain linen,”
literally touched off a shot heard ‘round the world. Over the past few years Shatnez
Laboratories have tested hundreds of UGG items such as boots, slippers, shoes, gloves,
etc. True, a small percentage were found to contain linen, however most were non-
shatnez.

Some Shatnez laboratories have
taken the initiative to actually cut
open UGG shoes and slippers and
search for linen reinforcement
fabrics sandwiched between the
fleece and the outer fabric. The
results are: No hidden linen was
found.

Do UGG boots contain wool when they are made from sheepskin?

Let us clarify why the wool fleece found in UGG products is considered wool, which is
Shua, and is not viewed halachically as sheepskin?
UGG products use what is known as “twin-face sheepskin.” This means that the wool
was shorn and then attached to webbing, to a knit fabric or to suede leather. Most UGG
boots and shoes do not contain simple sheepskin, where the fur is directly attached to the
leather.

In addition, some of the UGG products contain wool fibers attached to a knit fabric that
itself is wool.

On whom do we rely?
When an UGG product is brought to a professional Shatnez Laboratory, the tester will
inspect it inside and out, in all the places that can be reached without destroying the
item.

Unfortunately, a representative of UGG Decker Brands replied that “all their products
contain linen.” It is possible that linen may be sandwiched between the fleece and the
outer fabric in places that are not easily reachable.

Do we rely upon the word of an UGG Customer Care representative, or upon the testing
experience of Shatnez Laboratories nationwide?
Harav Ha’Gaon R’ Meshulam Polatsek, Shlita paskened that one can continue
wearing an UGG product, provided that it was checked by a Professional Shatnez
Laboratory familiar with all the intricacies of Shatnez.

If hidden linen is discovered in UGG products, the public will be immediately notified.
The International Headquarters of Professional Shatnez Laboratories is continuing to
research the issue with UGG Decker. All associated laboratories are in close contact and
sharing their testing results at this time.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:01 am
renslet wrote:
UGGS UPDATE - PSAK DIN:
1. Uggs have flip flopped about the contents of the shoes, showing that they don't really know what is actually in them, so we can disregard their emails.
2. Any Uggs shoes that contain wool should be checked by a competent bodek shaatnez. Shaatnez *HAS* been found in several shoes.
3. Shalom al yisroel

Avraham Granat
Shaatnez tester, NCSTAR

This is not what I saw, according to the yeshiva world update yesterday evening.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

at 7:00 pm on Monday evening the following response was heard from Reb Dovid Feinstein Shlita

Until word is received from senior people at Uggs (not customer service representatives)
as to whether or not all shoes contain linen, one may rely upon the fact that aside from the seven known models, the shatnez checkers have not found linen. This is not anheter, but rather a way of conducting concerning thebwearing ofnthe Uggs until more information comes in.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:03 am
DrMom wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331185

^^^ Previous thread on this topic

This issue comes up every few years, and usually gets resolved. For people concerned about wearing shatnez, this issue needs to be looked into every time it comes up.

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:06 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
This issue comes up every few years, and usually gets resolved. For people concerned about wearing shatnez, this issue needs to be looked into every time it comes up.

Shouldn't that be every jew also concerned about keeping kosher and mikvah, also chokim?

ellacoe

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:13 am
renslet wrote:
Got this in a WhatsApp
UGGS SHAATNEZ UPDATE:
Due to information that has come to light, NCSTAR (National council of
shaatnez testers and researchers) has said that uggs should not be worn,
even if they were previously tested until further notice.
There is a thorough investigation being performed, and an update will be
sent out upon completion.

Avraham Granat
Shaatnez tester - NCSTAR

Thank you. Could you please send out the update when you get it?

renslet

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:17 am
renslet wrote:
UGGS UPDATE - PSAK DIN:
3. Shalom al yisroel

Avraham Granat
Shaatnez tester, NCSTAR

This is the update
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics