Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Q For those who send homemade MM
1  2  Next

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:46 am
What do you usually send and how do you package it?
I'm not the greatest in the kitchen but I can do something not too complicated.
I need ideas for something edible and presentable.
I'm not working with any "themes".
...and of course on a limited budget.

Thanks in advance.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:02 pm
I bake based on my theme. I wrap each item individually and close well. Then freeze until 1-2 days before Purim. I have gotten hard cupcakes- people have to learn that if you want people to eat it it has to be fresh and wrapped the right way.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:22 pm
How about a small glass jar filled with cookies?

yksraya

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:48 pm
Cookies, Hamentashen, rugelech, cake, cupcakes.

Or rolls and dips, salads.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:54 pm
You can also make kugels for people's Purim Seudos .

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 4:29 pm
If you are looking to make something on a budget. Make homeade popcorn!

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 4:13 pm
I have made little mini-muffins of various kinds (honey cake, zucchini bread, banana bread, etc). Quick breads are easy to make and freeze in advance so they are nice and fresh-tasting on Purim. I use cupcake cups in the oven so they are sure to come out of the muffin pan neatly and are convenient for the recipient to handle and eat. For packaging, I use clear plastic bags and metallic twist-ties from the baking section of the craft store. The bags come in different sizes. Be sure to leave enough room for the width of the baked goods plus some extra at the top - I find it helps to go up one size than I think I need. Then I put one bag in the mm bag with one or more other items, sometimes themed but sometimes not. Baked goods can be very economical to make, if you know that people in your community will appreciate them and not throw them out. Personally, I wouldn't give popcorn (for a lot of reasons) or anything that needs refrigeration and/or heat unless you are delivering right from your kitchen into the recipients' hands and they know without a doubt that the food has been kept at the correct temperature.

Surrendered

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 5:46 pm
I did the following for many years and always got positive feedback.
Fruit Ambrosia:
Cooked up jello
Can pineapple tidbits
Can mandarin
Can peaches
Frozen strawberries or cherry pie filling (many people don't eat strawberries)
(You can buy these cans in bulk

It's Simple to prepare, refreshing, used for the purim Sueda or for shabbos.

I added these words:
Pineapple, Peaches, Cherry, Mandarin-
Jello and liqueur too...
This yummy fruit compote is for your family & you.
Enjoy this dessert at your sueda,
Then sing & dance ADA LO YOODA!!!

I also added a separate sweet personalized poem to give to Morahs/Therapist or others as a Token of Appreciation.

Dear:
Just like the Ambrosia
Is a mix of many different fruits,
So are you-
Working with a mix of
"Love, Care and Compassion,
Devotion, Dedication & Passion"
You're kind and caring too,
That's why we say THANK YOU!!!

Dear (Sister or Friend)
Just like the Ambrosia
Is a mix of many different fruits,
So are you-
Thanks for being a sister/friend who
Shares, Cares, Listens without judging
And gives chizuk too,
I feel so blessed having a sister/friend LIKE YOU!!!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:50 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
You can also make kugels for people's Purim Seudos .

What kugels and how do I wrap?
I'm not creative with these things.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:02 pm
I send a jar of soup and a homemade roll.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
What kugels and how do I wrap?
I'm not creative with these things.

Apple Kugel, Potatoe Kugel , lukshen Kugel. Bake it in mini disposable rectangular tins. The stores should sell the plastic covers to go with it. If you are sending a warm Kugel you can cover it with the cardboard foil covers that are sold to correspond with the different size pans. Or you can make a 9" round one for each. I've received many kugels over the years. It's usually covered with the plastic cover and has a Purim sticker or label on it or a small grape juice lying on the cover and tied together to the pan with a big ribbon etc.
I've also done an apple theme one year and had cute bags with apple prints on them. I put in a small apple Kugel, apple turnovers and an apple juice drink.
Easy apple turnovers can be made with 3" flaky dough squares with a Tbsp of apple pie filling in the center, folded over to form a triangle. Pinched around the edges, brushed with egg wash and baked until golden brown. When cooled drizzle a white icing on top (that part can be left or too) .

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:22 am
Cholent.
I make a large crockpot, and another 2 pots(I give out about 100 shaloch manos).
I make it Erev Purim and put them into those plastic containers you get from the takeout store.
Nothing fancy but super easy, cheap and very much appreciated.
I put stickers in the lid with our name and whether the cholent is parve or meat. (Until 12 I give out the parve and after I give out the meat, and sometimes people have preferences.)
Stick it in a brown paper bag (or any bag of your choice) with a can of soda and a fork.
Many people have told me that's the only normal thing they eat all day while running around delivering shalach manos.
The only stressful part is that it can't be done in advance. I prepare the containers in the morning after megila, in batches, so that everyone gets it warm. But it goes pretty fast if you do it like an assembly line.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 9:27 am
I am doing biscotti this year and just looking for what to put with it

keym

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 10:45 am
I make challa. I bake it a few weeks in advance. Wrap each one very well in cling wrap and freeze in large ziploc bags.
I put 1 challa and a mini grapejuice in a cellophane bag and wrap it nicely with a ribbon or bow.
Its particularly good when Purim comes out on Thurs or Fri. Many people have told me they used them for shalosh seudos.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 10:49 am
keym wrote:
I make challa. I bake it a few weeks in advance. Wrap each one very well in cling wrap and freeze in large ziploc bags.
I put 1 challa and a mini grapejuice in a cellophane bag and wrap it nicely with a ribbon or bow.
Its particularly good when Purim comes out on Thurs or Fri. Many people have told me they used them for shalosh seudos.

Love your idea! what size challah do you bake?

keym

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
Love your idea! what size challah do you bake?

5 lbs make around 16 challos. Very bakavodik, but not huge.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 11:13 am
keym wrote:

Thank you. I would love to get challah for mishloach manos!!

mandr

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 11:55 am
I really don't like getting homemade foods for Mishloach Manos because most people do not package or preserve well. For example, when you are giving dips and I am your last stop of the day, then my dips have been sitting in your car the entire day. Which is gross. So unless the item is baked and non-perishable I would just throw it out. I feel bad doing it but I never know what the story was behind the way you handled and stored your foods.

OP if you would like to give homemade, then please follow the previous poster's idea of something safe like popcorn which wouldn't go bad if you sealed it well, or cookies. Cookies that are iced turn me off because I wonder if the person used raw eggs in the royal icing and same with other dessert items with creams.

But just remember that not all baked things are actually cheaper! All the ingredients add up. You can't just give someone two cookies and call it a day, you would need to give a decent serving and that just adds up. Plus it takes a loooong time to bake so many batches of cookies. Unless you gave something else along with it.

octopus

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:18 pm
keym wrote:

This has got to be a mini challah. 5lbs makes 7-8 med-large challas.

mandr

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:21 pm
octopus wrote:
This has got to be a mini challah. 5lbs makes 7-8 med-large challas.

I get 6 large-tissue-box-size challahs from 5 lb.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics