Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Chasidishe slips
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:53 pm
roses wrote:
This can be accomplished with any number of other garments. Why, specifically does it have to be a chassidishe slip? Common sense dressing can also accomplish the tznius aspect a woman may be looking for, without community members regulating ones undergarments

Where in heavens name do you get that the community members regulate what one wears? And undergarments? please! I'd run from such a community. You do not have accurate information.

tothepoint

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:58 pm
roses wrote:
This can be accomplished with any number of other garments. Why, specifically does it have to be a chassidishe slip? Common sense dressing can also accomplish the tznius aspect a woman may be looking for, without community members regulating ones undergarments

The main idea of the slip is that if you wear a 2-piece, there should be another layer beneath it just in case you bend/stretch and your skin may be revealed. And it's not the same as an undershirt because it's a full dress

roses

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:59 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Where in heavens name do you get that the community members regulate what one wears? And undergarments? please! I'd run from such a community. You do not have accurate information.

What about the Monsey woman asking people to take on the Kabbalah of wearing this slip in order to receive a free slip?

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:00 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

Plus, not all of us look good in dresses and also not all of us are up to date! Smile

Imho, everyone looks good in dresses. You have to find the style that works for you. Sheath if you’re thin. A-line if you have curves in the right places. Fit-and-flare if you have them in the wrong places. Dresses make everyone look nicer and more feminine.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:01 pm
roses wrote:
What about the Monsey woman asking people to take on the Kabbalah of wearing this slip in order to receive a free slip?

If you want a freebee this is the question you will be asked. I live in Monsey and I never encountered such a thing. Wearing this garment was my personal choice. I would be very ticked if someone asked me about this.

roses

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:02 pm
tothepoint wrote:
The main idea of the slip is that if you wear a 2-piece, there should be another layer beneath it just in case you bend/stretch and your skin may be revealed. And it's not the same as an undershirt because it's a full dress

A shell could accomplish the same thing. Or a long top. Or a tunic. Like I said, common sense dressing. No need for these extreme religious garments

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:07 pm
roses wrote:
A shell could accomplish the same thing. Or a long top. Or a tunic. Like I said, common sense dressing. No need for these extreme religious garments

So if the word religious bothers you replace it with a sensory garment.
I don't like the feel of certain materials on my skin. This creates a comfortable buffer zone.
I don't care what people wear. I care what I wear. I also don't care if people call a garment religious, it's the same French like in French toast. But, I guess our sensitivities lie in different places.

tothepoint

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:10 pm
roses wrote:

A shell doesn't serve the purpose of avoiding revealing your skin, it's too short. As per a tunic or long top...yeah it pretty much covers you, but the slip has another advantage of protecting you with another layer under your skirt

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:13 pm
Roses, just to calm you down, the full shell slip doesn't get marketed under the word 'chassidishe'. So there's nothing chassidishe about the slip. In the olden days, that type of a slip was referred to like that. So you can relax.

boogiebabe

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:58 pm
I am not chassidish. I wear full slips in lieu of half slip plus shells. I only wear dresses to work.

Shell dresses stick to the backs of my legs, and the overdress or tunic sticks to the shell dress, requiring a slip anyway.

2cents

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:06 pm
roses wrote:

I had never heard of a "full slip" or this kabbalah before this thread, ever.

But that's not what shes saying. Shes not "asking people to take on the kabbalah to get a free slip". Who wants a free slip that badly to make a committment?? That's silly.

Shes offering a service to encourage people to, in her opinion, upgrade tznius. This is not a community wide statement, this is not a referendum on those who dont do this, this is not the patriarchy controlling women. 🙄

Let's say I dont wear sheitels for tznius/halacha reasons. Imagine if I sold snoods and had an advertisement that I would give 2 free snoods to women switching away from sheitels. It would be good marketing, because these ladies will need many more snoods, and I would feel good about encouraging, IMO, an upgraded level of tznius.

2cents

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
Imho, everyone looks good in dresses. You have to find the style that works for you. Sheath if you’re thin. A-line if you have curves in the right places. Fit-and-flare if you have them in the wrong places. Dresses make everyone look nicer and more feminine.

Off topic, but what style for a thin size 8 with major stomach/backside problem baggage? Pregnancy weight is gone but those areas have never gone back to normal, and I'm always enviously eyeing dresses on other people...

aline/fitandflare makes me look much bigger than I am (super wide, whereas I usually look thin), and everything else makes me look 8 months pregnant.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:12 pm
I didn't realize they have full sleeves.
mine is sleeveless

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:28 pm
DrMom wrote:
Lol -- Is that like a Freudian slip?

I have found full slips in dept stores.

I find it amusing that chassidish women think this is a chassidish garment.

This. I got mine in either Burlington or K-Mart.

dena613

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:01 pm
I wear a sleeveless full slip for tznius reasons.

I am not chassidish.

I wear it because I wear skirts and tops, and with the slip I can walk in confidence that my stomach and back won't show no matter my posture. The one day I went to work without my slip (laundry), I really felt self-conscious and worried that my shirt would go up.

Rose, no one told me I have to do this, no one else in my family wears one, but when I heard about it, I took it on, bli neder, and yes, tznius is about yes and Hashem.

flippingout18!

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:00 pm
Oh please relax. No one should be bashing anyone who decides to upgrade their level of tznius. A slip is a measure of protection in case a woman bends down or raises her arm. It reduces midriff exposure. If its not your cup of tea, that's fine. There are numerous kabbalos women take on in the area of tznius and this is one of them.

Dont like it, dont take it on. Simple as that..

rowo

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:17 pm
Doesn't it make you really hot in the summer?
Maybe I'm extra sensitive to heat, but I try to find clothing that requires the least amount of layering in the summer

dena613

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:27 pm
rowo wrote:
Doesn't it make you really hot in the summer?
Maybe I'm extra sensitive to heat, but I try to find clothing that requires the least amount of layering in the summer

No. It is very, very thin.

esther36

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:30 pm
Thanks cnc! I'm going to look for it.

dena613

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:31 pm
This is like what I wear (maybe it is what I wear- not sure).
I have black and black, and white and black.
The top is cotton, the bottom it's not. https://www.amazon.com/TruFit-.....;th=1
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics