Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please help explain Priceline additional hotel fee

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 4:09 pm
I was looking into a particular hotel reservation at Priceline that was significantly cheaper than elsewhere. However, upon checkout, it gave me the total Priceline fee after an acceptable additional taxes charge, but then, a significant "hotel fee" which other competing sites did not list, making Expedia, Travelocity, and other sites now cheaper than Priceline, even though their base price for the room was more expensive. I contacted Priceline and they told me it has nothing to do with them; it's a hotel fee that will be charged upon checkout. But when I contacted the hotel, they told me that all fees are included in the listing and they do not have additional fees. Is Priceline being dishonest? Is it a mistake? Should I cancel my Priceline reservation and book at Expedia? What do you think this mysterious hotel fee can be?

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 4:37 pm
Many nicer hotels charge something called a daily resort fee to cover various amenities, but if the hotel denies they have one and you can book cheaper elsewhere, I'd cancel the Priceline reservation. Unless Expedia is cheaper, it's generally best to book directly through the hotel, as they will give you the best service, potential upgrades, etc., whereas 3rd-party bookings have the lowest seniority and treatment.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 4:37 pm
This is most likely a resort fee. Some hotels charge a resort fee, which is a set price per night of your stay. This fee is consistent no matter how or where you booked your stay and it is charged to your card when you check out. I believe that Priceline lists this as a hotel fee, though they don't actually charge you that amount when you book. Instead, your card will automatically be charged that fee when you check out. I don't know why Priceline doesn't refer to it as a resort fee like everyone else does.

ETA you can ask the hotel if they have a resort fee. It could be that other booking sites aren't as up front about it since the hotel will be charging it, not the booking site itself.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 5:03 pm
I already asked them and the price they quoted is the same as all other booking sites besides Priceline, and they claim there are no other fees. I would not quite call the hotel a resort.

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 5:53 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I already asked them and the price they quoted is the same as all other booking sites besides Priceline, and they claim there are no other fees. I would not quite call the hotel a resort.

They may still have a resort fee.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:43 pm
Like I said, the guy at the hotel claimed that there are no additional fees. Can I assume that's correct? Priceline also told me that the hotel will be charging me that... So if I was informed by the hotel that I will not be charged anything else, can I assume that the hotel fee on Priceline's website is not applicable and therefore, a mistake on their part?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:24 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Like I said, the guy at the hotel claimed that there are no additional fees. Can I assume that's correct? Priceline also told me that the hotel will be charging me that... So if I was informed by the hotel that I will not be charged anything else, can I assume that the hotel fee on Priceline's website is not applicable and therefore, a mistake on their part?
Don't assume. If they're not giving you an answer I would rebook where it is cheaper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics