Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Scrape floors first or paint first?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:59 pm
I want to do two household projects. Looking for advice on which to do first.

-put down new wood floors-scrape/stain them (existing floor is horrible, not able to be scraped)?
-paint my whole house (did it approx 8-9 years ago, getting bad...)?

Also, has anyone had experience with pre-finished wood (when the wood is scraped and stained in the factory and then just installed, as opposed to them laying raw wood and then scraping/staining it in house)? Were you happy with it? How does it hold up? Does it look very different than when you scrape/stain in house?

spring chick

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:13 pm
General rule - painting goes last

But it all depends on context

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:13 pm
The way I've seen it work is that a new floor is laid, then painting takes places, and pnly then, in order that the floor should not become damaged from paint, it is stained and sealed.

Prefab flooring is great in some ways, such as that you can walk on it right away. No waiting time. But it will have grooves between planks, rather than a completely smooth finish.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:20 pm
IME painters always ruin the floor. YMMV.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:40 am
If they do the floor last after painting the walls, there'll be lots of dust on the wall but you can always clean that. We did the prefinished wood floor and love it. So much better without the toxic fumes of having them stain in your house. Although there is tons of wood dust even from prefinished wood.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:07 am
I've always worked from the top down, and things work out well. Just give yourself a few weeks break for all the paint to dry before you start sanding the wood. If it's humid, give it a little more time.

Free advice: If your floors are soft wood like pine, do not bother to restore them. They won't last a year with regular use. Cover them with something more sturdy.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've always worked from the top down, and things work out well.
This.

becky2345

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:33 pm
I did paint first, besides for the floor moldings, then I did the scrape and staining thew floor, then had the painters come back to finish off the moldings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics