Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
POLL pls answer- Do you have a kid with a diagnosis?
1  2  3  4  Next

do you have a child with an alphabet soup diagnosis (ADHD,PDD-NOS,ODD,ASD etc)
Yes at least one  
 43%  [ 126 ]
No but I have concerns and are looking into it  
 6%  [ 20 ]
No  
 49%  [ 145 ]
Total Votes : 291

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:29 am
Spin off from the divorced thread. was curious to know how common this is? Appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Eta last option on poll went missing

[added by mod. In polls, you have to click "add option" and leave it blank as the last option always disappears.]

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:40 am
Not sure what to do now. I tried to add in a "no" option because it disappeared, but because people had answered it wouldn't let me. This is going to be a pretty stupid poll.

Maybe someone can set up another one

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:42 am
amother wrote:
Not sure what to do now. I tried to add in a "no" option because it disappeared, but because people had answered it wouldn't let me. This is going to be a pretty stupid poll.

Maybe someone can set up another one

Why don't you just do it again?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:29 am
Start a new thread and alert a mod to delete this one. Or I'll report your OP and ask if mod can add the poll option. Not sure if that works.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 4:11 am
Also "no" itself is a limited answer. If one person has ten kids who are all over six years old and have no diagnosises (sp?), that says a lot more than someone who has one 18 month old who has no diagnosis.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:13 am
Thanx seeker for reporting the poll, thanx mods for fixing it

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:15 am
amother wrote:
Also "no" itself is a limited answer. If one person has ten kids who are all over six years old and have no diagnosises (sp?), that says a lot more than someone who has one 18 month old who has no diagnosis.

I know what you mean, but I am trying to work out what percentage of moms on here are dealing with a kid with a diagnosis.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:10 am
soup?? what? also a diagnosis can be anything

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:15 am
Are we saying what the diagnoses are?

Preteen with emotional dysregulation. On medication, on waiting list for therapy.
Child a couple of years younger with possible indications of ADD, we need to get around to making a neurologist appointment.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:16 am
I have one with autism (high functioning) and one with ADHD.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:30 am
I'm surprised to see the results so far. Only 17% doesn't have a child with a diagnosis? Seems much too low.

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:35 am
Then there are us who “know” our children can get a diagnosis but never went for one
Rotten tomato time...

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:38 am
aricelli wrote:
Then there are us who “know” our children can get a diagnosis but never went for one
Rotten tomato time...

I'm not into getting a diagnosis stam. But if a child is struggling I will do whatever I can to find them the support they need. Which can include a 'label'.

ETA We've known for years that DS 10 has ADD symptoms, which has lead to adorable, creative and frustrating scenarios. But we weren't in a rush to diagnose anything. We kept our finger on the pulse, and in consultation with his teachers and the school counselor, we think he might need additional supports at this stage.

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:42 am
Amother seashell/
My ped confirmed what I think
the diagnoses is and told me I dont need an official label to do the therapy. We are doing wonderful therapy woth bh great results
This is not for everyone to do- it works for us. I once said this here and got a tomato for no neuropsych eval

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:44 am
Ampther seashel
Yes, yes, yes!
Its important to keep a finger on the pulse and constantly reevaluate
If I need sdditional support I will def go for further testing

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 7:51 am
I answered yes because one of my children has ADHD, but he was never formally diagnosed. I felt - and still feel - that ADHD is not an illness but a personality type, and even though this personality type is a bit more difficult to raise, I did not want him to perceive himself as I'll or flawed.

We did the appropriate therapy (I went the sensory route) which we had to pay out of pocket for anyway (so didnt need a diagnosis). We never gave him medication.

Another child was actually diagnosed as on the spectrum but it was not true, even the evaluators told me that the diagnosis was just to get therapy paid for. At this point this child has no signs of being on the spectrum, but he probably has ADHD, but fully functional so he doesn't need therapy anymore.

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:05 am
Amother rose:
With you!
Sensory route rocks!
Paying out of pocket got us top notch therapy.

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
I answered yes because one of my children has ADHD, but he was never formally diagnosed. I felt - and still feel - that ADHD is not an illness but a personality type, and even though this personality type is a bit more difficult to raise, I did not want him to perceive himself as I'll or flawed.

We did the appropriate therapy (I went the sensory route) which we had to pay out of pocket for anyway (so didnt need a diagnosis). We never gave him medication.

Another child was actually diagnosed as on the spectrum but it was not true, even the evaluators told me that the diagnosis was just to get therapy paid for. At this point this child has no signs of being on the spectrum, but he probably has ADHD, but fully functional so he doesn't need therapy anymore.

My daughter does not have an official diagnosis. But very likely would be diagnosed adhd. Both my kids actually. One add one adhd.
As long as I can handle them, and they are doing OK in school, why mess around?
My add kid is now in the process of having an OT evaluation thru boe. The school social worker did write down possible adhd to get things moving but that's it.
I belive lots of children diagnosed with add are really struggling with sensory integration and disregulation issues rather than add.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
My daughter does not have an official diagnosis. But very likely would be diagnosed adhd. Both my kids actually. One add one adhd.
As long as I can handle them, and they are doing OK in school, why mess around?
My add kid is now in the process of having an OT evaluation thru boe. The school social worker did write down possible adhd to get things moving but that's it.
I belive lots of children diagnosed with add are really struggling with sensory integration and disregulation issues rather than add.

For us sensory therapy made a difference, but I still think he has the ADHD personality. And now that he's an adult, b'h, he's awesome!!!! We just had to make it through the hard years though (square peg in round hole and all that).

For anyone going the sensory route - I just spoke to a relative who's an OT and she spoke to me honestly, and she said that it's more an art than a science. So if sensory therapy is not working, it may be the therapist - it may be worth it to pay privately for a top notch therapist who's naturally gifted.

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:30 am
Amother rose
How right you are!
We have worked with a few and have seen a big difference. Also, private OT worked better for us because the centers unfortunately have many children in there at once and some therapists are actually on cel phones- I’ve watched this.
I’ve been to Lucy Jane Millers sensory center in colorodao with my son- this was a beautiful experience and what a center should be... my dream is to recreate one here.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics