Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I write my former last name on my job resume?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:31 pm
I was married for a very short time. Legally and socially, I go by my maiden name. I just moved to a different state/city and I am applying for jobs. I want to know if I should write my former last name on my resume as so people don't treat me differently by the interview and the job, like getting paid less or later?
Let me know what you think?
Thanks
Mrs Divorced Girl

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:36 pm
The only reason I would include your former married name is if a former employer or reference knew you exclusively by that name and is likely to be confused.

I wouldn't worry in advance about a single woman being paid less than a divorced woman. If anything, I'd probably want to avoid having to explain the whole story behind multiple names to future coworkers.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:39 pm
Why would you get different treatment based on your last name? I'm married for many years and go by my maiden name. It's never affected me negatively.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
I was married for a very short time. Legally and socially, I go by my maiden name. I just moved to a different state/city and I am applying for jobs. I want to know if I should write my former last name on my resume as so people don't treat me differently by the interview and the job, like getting paid less or later?
Let me know what you think?
Thanks
Mrs Divorced Girl

If you are the United States, it is illegal to discriminate or pay less based on marital status.

In any case, how would anyone know that Sima Schwartz is a maiden name, and Sima Levy is a married name?

cm

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:42 pm
Include your additional name if it appears on your diploma, professional certification or past employment records. Otherwise, no. Your marital status should have no bearing on your pay, and your new employer would have no way of knowing if your current name is your maiden name or not.

Last edited by cm on Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:42 pm
Okay the reason why I do want to write my married name is because I had a very bad experience in my current place that unfortunately I could get paid a month to three months late because I live at my parents house.
Legally, of course that's not legal to ask a person , if they're married and also pay a person late based on the marital status. So should I?

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:43 pm
Many married women go by their maiden name professionally. It’s the name they used during college, grad school, and as they were starting out in their career. It’s the name on all their diplomas. It makes sense to keep using it professionally even as they go by their married name socially.

As for an employer paying you less or later because you’re single, that is super illegal.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:45 pm
I want to work in a school setting so like that it I also get off holidays. The problem with schools is that they could do that, they can play around with the legal system.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
Okay the reason why I do want to write my married name is because I had a very bad experience in my current place that unfortunately I could get paid a month to three months late because I live at my parents house.
Legally, of course that's not legal to ask a person , if they're married and also pay a person late based on the marital status. So should I?

I don't understand why they even knew who you live with, or why you think that's why they were paying late?

cm

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
I want to work in a school setting so like that it I also get off holidays. The problem with schools is that they could do that, they can play around with the legal system.

??

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:38 pm
Basically use any name. Nobody in your new place needs to know that you are divorced. Are you asking if you should add the title of Mrs. before your name?

I think in any case, if its a heimishe school, they probably do research on you before they hire you, to know who you are, so they probably will know anyway whether you disclose the info or not. If you write Mrs they just might call you like that & refer like that to you. How do you want to be called. Mrs...with your maiden name? Or is it awkward for you?

If you are a teacher, students will anyway call Mrs something

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand why they even knew who you live with, or why you think that's why they were paying late?

At the time of the interview I was barely 19 years old I didn't realize it's not legal to ask if someone is married or not and obviously I told him that I'm not married. He pays all the married people first and I get paid last and even late. Yes, sometimes people can be ultra disgusting.

Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:05 pm
Hopefully in this new state/city you live in, they won't blatantly break employment law like your employers have done in the past.

I guess your question is: Assuming I am applying for a position at a place where they blatantly break employment law, should I pretend to be married so as to escape the discrimination these employers use against single employees?

I would say, if you know you will face discrimination as a single, then yes, pretend to be married. I wouldn't feel guilty for one second trying to minimize their blatant discrimination.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 5:34 am
amother wrote:

Even if you are concerned that your marital status would affect your paycheck, how might someone tell a woman's marital status from her last name?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
At the time of the interview I was barely 19 years old I didn't realize it's not legal to ask if someone is married or not and obviously I told him that I'm not married. He pays all the married people first and I get paid last and even late. Yes, sometimes people can be ultra disgusting.

Putting aside your original question about your name, this employer needs to be reported for their fraudulent and illegal acts.

grace413

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 7:36 am
amother wrote:

illegal and disgusting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics