Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Due in a week, which bassinet?!
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:14 pm
I am literally due in a week, and sitting here agonizing over which bassinet to get! There's way too many options. At first I had decided on an arm's reach, since it would be easier to get baby out at night. Now I'm thinking I should get something that rocks, in case the baby doesn't sleep - but I heard a rock n play causes flat head. Then I think that it's dumb to spend so much on something that will last a couple of months.
What to do?!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:16 pm
My babies never slept well in a bassinet, the mattress is too soft to sleep comfortably. A porta crib is a better option.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:21 pm
We started with the uppa baby bassinet and then switched to a port a crib once he got too big. It worked well for us.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:22 pm
A cheap one or even a borrowed one. Even if cost is no object for you, babies outgrow bassinets in about 7 minutes -- or at least it seems that way.

Of course, I'm decades out of the newborn parsha, and now they have all kinds of combination things that double as a bassinet and food processor or whatever. But honestly, unless you have a baby every year for the next 20 years, you're going to resent the amount of space the bassinet takes up between occupants.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:23 pm
I use a porta crib. Lasts way longer than a bassinet.

Last edited by flowerpower on Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:25 pm
Rock n play all the way
Though I coslept and only used that for naps

simcha2

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:26 pm
I'm with Fox on this. See if you can borrow one. (Unless you have lots of storage, and are planning on more kids) in which case get the arms reach. It folds small when not in use.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:32 pm
Wow thank you so much for all the replies!
This is giving me so much anxiety, I keep telling the baby not to come since we have nowhere for he/she to sleep Smile
beH plan on more babies, is it stupid to spend on an arm's reach and a rock n play? Won't have a bassinet with stroller. Is a porta crib a pack n play? With pack n plays, are those convenient for breastfeeding, ie can I keep it near my bed and not need to get out of bed to get baby to nurse? The pack n plays look so flimsy to me and they're short too.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
This is giving me so much anxiety, I keep telling the baby not to come since we have nowhere for he/she to sleep Smile
beH plan on more babies, is it stupid to spend on an arm's reach and a rock n play? Won't have a bassinet with stroller. Is a porta crib a pack n play? With pack n plays, are those convenient for breastfeeding, ie can I keep it near my bed and not need to get out of bed to get baby to nurse? The pack n plays look so flimsy to me and they're short too.

A porta crib is a mini crib. It can be high or low- depending on the age of the child. It’s kept near your bed so you can put the baby back after the feedings. Many toddlers still sleep in one- depending on the size of the child. Other equipment is good for taking with you when going to your kitchen or dining room- like a bouncy seat or swing etc

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:40 pm
I was given a Halo Bassinest as a gift (not my first child) and I really liked it, but I don't think I would spend the money on it - my other kids did just fine in the Pack & Play (with the bassinet attachment) until they were old enough for the regular crib, and you're going to want one of those anyway if you ever travel.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:42 pm
I'm expecting baby #6. I bought a rock and play for baby 4, and have a bassinet too from baby one.

I dont think it's a waste of space/money. It's a convenient place for baby to comfortably and safely sleep. We keep rock and play downstairs, moved between the kitchen and living room, depending where the family is at the time. The bassinet stayed in our room, between the beds, then moved to the side when the beds went together. It's easily portable if I want to shower and want to hear the baby, or have him closer when I'm getting dressed.

I do change to a pack and play (with a nice comfortable, mattress) when I still want the baby in my room and the bassinet is outgrown. Depending if your baby likes the rock and play or not, even when he no longer sleeps in it, you can use it for play time (they have hanging toys) while you cook/serve food to other kids, and can even feed him in it (my kids hate high chairs).

Imo, it's worth the $80ish we spent on it.

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
I was given a Halo Bassinest as a gift (not my first child) and I really liked it, but I don't think I would spend the money on it - my other kids did just fine in the Pack & Play (with the bassinet attachment) until they were old enough for the regular crib, and you're going to want one of those anyway if you ever travel.

I also have the Halo and even though it's expensive, I really do love it. It's so nice to be able to get baby into and out of the bassinet without even sitting up in my bed. It makes it way easier for me to fall back asleep after nursing which is a huge deal when trying to maximize sleep in the short stretches of time baby is asleep.

I also like being able to push it out of the way so I can get up easily, although that feature isn't super critical for me since I didn't have a csection.

OP, I would definitely get something you can reach from bed if you can afford it. Other features I think are nice to have but not necessary.

monkeys

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:52 pm
The Halo bassinest was one of my favorite baby items. In my opinion, definitely worth it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:48 pm
@flowerpower thanks! So there's no specific brand, just referring to mini cribs? At the higher mattress setting one still needs to get out of bed to take the baby out though I'm assuming?
@amother copper when you used the pack n play were you able to take the baby out from your bed? Which one did you use, there are so many options!
@amother aquamarine Thanks for the input, which bassinet did you use?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
@flowerpower thanks! So there's no specific brand, just referring to mini cribs? At the higher mattress setting one still needs to get out of bed to take the baby out though I'm assuming?
@amother copper when you used the pack n play were you able to take the baby out from your bed? Which one did you use, there are so many options!
@amother aquamarine Thanks for the input, which bassinet did you use?

I ordered mine from Hatzlacha furniture in Willi. It came with a firm thick mattress and nice spindels around the crib. I was able to attach a mobile to the side of the crib.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:02 pm
Think about what kind of storage you have available. I borrowed a bassinet because I would have nowhere to store it afterwards.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:

I'm using a pack n play now for my baby. Until she was able to roll over she was nice and high up. Easy to change and to nurse. It fits between my two beds. She's 7 months old and is still there. Sleeps just fine . She was my easiest kid to put to sleep actually. (Don't think it has anything to do with it)
My DH bought it after she was born in Burlington Coat Factory . I had a specific model in mind. I'm very happy with it.
When I had my first I borrowed a cradle from my SIL but my baby was too big and he hated it. After that I had a port a crib for my other kids and now the pack n play. Both are much better options than wasting money on a bassinet.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:12 pm
Rock n play is not meant for sleeping. Discuss with your doctor

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:16 pm
tichellady wrote:
Rock n play is not meant for sleeping. Discuss with your doctor

SEE article :
https://www.babybargains.com/f.....utch/

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:19 pm
I loved my bassinet. We did not have room for a pack and play between our beds- the bassinet was narrower. Plus it had a hood and felt cozy for the babies. I could definitely take the baby out from bed. This was eons ago, so I have no clue what I had, but we could detach the bassinet from the base and fold the base for storage. We used a bouncy seat, swing or pack and play in the living area.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics