Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What's in your freezer?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 4:58 pm
L25 wrote:
if you buy your food frozen how does that work? I buy frozen chop meat, chicken cutlets, tilapia... so if I defrost it I cook it. Freezing stuff raw sounds great just not sure how it works.

You can defrost, cook, and freeze then, instead.

mom!

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:05 pm
Apple kugel, apple strawberry kugel, apple pear kugel, luckshen kugel, yerushalmi kugel, breaded schnitzel, meatballs, meat lasagna, sauce for string beans, sautéed onions bagged in "portion sizes", meat for cholent, kneidlach, luckshen for soup, pepper steak, chicken nuggets/fingers, cutlets in marinade for grilling, formed hamburgers.
Things you can buy frozen, fish sticks, pizza/pizza bagels, frozen veggies or fruit, ices, French fries ect.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:19 pm
I tend to not freeze a lot of meat things. When I do, I partially thaw them at home, put them in smaller portions, and then freeze right away. This protects the flavor, as well as being safer.

I just defrosted my large chest freezer. I have precooked rice, cholent beans, chili beans, chicken soup, lentil soup, beef stew, mixed veggies, mashed potatoes, beans, hot dogs, a couple of challot, home made sorbet (assorted fruit flavors), assorted kugels, and mixed grain pilaf.

Since I live alone now, I put everything into small ziplock bags, and sort them into large bins so I can find things easily. For Shabbos I can pull out a soup, a side, a grain, a kugel, and be all set. I leave a pot of hot water on the stove all Shabbos, and I can just drop the food into the pot, bag and all, and reheat it easily.

dankbar

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:05 pm
I'm only going to list the ready made in my freezer right now:

Challah rolls. Chicken soup. Noodles for soup. Farfel. Challah kugel. Apple strudel. Broccolli kugel. Some cake. Riced cauliflower with mushrooms.

iammom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:24 pm
Hamburgers. I made the mixture, form the patties and first freeze them on a cookie sheet. Then I combine into one bag and freeze.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:53 pm
Meat. We pretty much cook once a week. For Shabbat. We are still eating leftovers today. Then when it’s gone, we eat eggs and stuff the rest of the time.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:56 pm
My freezer is lined with many bags of stir fry ready to toss into the oven for days like these when I hardly have time to think of dinner!

And several containers of different soups which I've cooked in a less hectic time.. Thank heavens for 16 qt pots!

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 1:07 am
dankbar wrote:
Nicole seems like you are ready for your Purim Seuda with lots of guests

Lol I haven't even thought about purim yet!! Because of my job (and 6 kids), I don't really cook during the week from after Sukkot through Pesach. I stock up my freezer like crazy on weekends and holidays so we have lots to pull from for hearty weeknight dinners and can make shabbat with guests with only vegetables freshly made. But now that you mentioned it, I should probably plan the seudah already!

OP- one other thing I have in my freezer regularly is cranberry apple kugel. I triple the recipe and make about 7 round pans at a time.

dankbar

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 2:08 am
dankbar wrote:
I'm only going to list the ready made in my freezer right now:

Challah rolls. Chicken soup. Noodles for soup. Farfel. Challah kugel. Apple strudel. Broccolli kugel. Some cake. Riced cauliflower with mushrooms.

I forgot about the soups. Broccoli soup. Peas & carrots soups
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics