Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Daughter rejected (Brooklyn)
1  2  3  Next

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 2:33 pm
So my daughter was rejected from all the high schools we applied to. We have been trying to push her into one. So far nothing has been working. Anyone know any current things about machon?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 2:47 pm
I went thru this as a teen. Bybp was the safe school at the time. Do they no longer accept everyone?

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 2:49 pm
OP, If you're comfortable then PM me. I may be able to help you brainstorm and give you current up to date information about Machon.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:05 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I went thru this as a teen. Bybp was the safe school at the time. Do they no longer accept everyone?

BYHS no longer accepts all applicants.
I had 2 daughters rejected from there.
I was told they reject all girls who score poorly on the entrance exams.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
So my daughter was rejected from all the high schools we applied to. We have been trying to push her into one. So far nothing has been working. Anyone know any current things about machon?

BTDT, it’s a painful situation but your daughter will iyh get into a high school.
Have you been in touch with the elementary principal?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:

I took my entrance exam with 104 fever 25 yrs ago and I definitely didn't score too well. Back in the day they took everyone. It makes me sad to hear that they too reject.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:

This is so sad... I guess they want to to show that grades are the most important thing in life..

Reality

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 7:40 pm
Re Machon: proceed with extreme caution!!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
That's really sad!! It was such a zchus that they took everyone!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
This is so sad... I guess they want to to show that grades are the most important thing in life..

I guess so...the teachers praise my girls’ middos on the comments sections of the report cards.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:11 pm
Are you the same amother who posted recently about her daughter being rejected by both schools (one of them BYHS) she applied to?
What is her elementary principal saying?
Her elementary school has no HS?

We interviewed at Machon. I liked their new Hebrew principal. It looks like she's really trying to turn things around, regarding their student body/fame and is trying to be careful with whom they accept.
Having solid, good girls with caring parents is much more important for them than their grades. They have resource room and great teachers, I heard.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:12 pm
Also, have you contacted Suri Rubin? I heard she helps girls get into HS

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:

I don't know much about this school, but they can't take everyone. What do you feel should be the criteria to decide who to accept/reject?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know much about this school, but they can't take everyone. What do you feel should be the criteria to decide who to accept/reject?

They are not rejecting due to space constraints.
What do you feel a school’s criteria should be?
And why are they putting girls through interviews, entrance exams, and dashed hopes when they can just look at the grades on the report cards if that is their sole criteria.

amother
Turquoise

amother wrote:

It's known (or used to be known?) as a community school. It's also quite big. Has resources. Grades shouldn't be a criteria if it's otherwise girl that fits the school profile

ectomorph

amother wrote:
they used to. They prob changed the policy to protect the reputation of their students.

Im sure a good girl can get in you just need to figure out who to call... Wish I could help. I do have contacts but you'll prob do better in real life

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
It's known (or used to be known?) as a community school. It's also quite big. Has resources. Grades shouldn't be a criteria if it's otherwise girl that fits the school profile

It’s not a community school, it’s privately owned.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:36 pm
Reality wrote:
Re Machon: proceed with extreme caution!!

Eeekkk why?? I know nothing about it

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not a community school, it’s privately owned.

By "community school" I meant that they were more accepting than others (not with behavior problems, but, say, with grades or girls needing P3 services, etc.)

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
Are you the same amother who posted recently about her daughter being rejected by both schools (one of them BYHS) she applied to?
What is her elementary principal saying?
Her elementary school has no HS?

We interviewed at Machon. I liked their new Hebrew principal. It looks like she's really trying to turn things around, regarding their student body/fame and is trying to be careful with whom they accept.
Having solid, good girls with caring parents is much more important for them than their grades. They have resource room and great teachers, I heard.

Yes I am the same person! Her elementary principal is trying to get her into byhs. Seems they really don’t want her due to hashgafa 🤷🏻‍♀️ She doesn’t have her own smart phone like many of her friends that were excepted there. And she is not allowed to go online or watch clean movies whenever. It’s always under our supervision.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children